PDA

View Full Version : Shout out to the LBSs that are killing it (that means they're GREAT)

firerescuefin
07-16-2014, 10:26 AM
Plenty of LBS trashing threads.

This is the antithesis.

Mad Duck Cyclery
Grapevine, Tx

Fantastic shop. Clearly the culture/tone has been established by the owner (Clarence). Always greeted warmly by the staff, solid line of bikes (Moots, Bianchi, Focus), and big supporters of the local riding/racing scene. They are out front supporting local racers and junior development. Great organized group rides go out of there during the week. I've been doing the Tues/Thurs night training ride, where you're welcomed back at the shop with a cooler full of cold beers...some of them donated by the shop.

Last night a junior went down near the end of the ride. He was clearly not seriously hurt. After we got back, Clarence took a group picture in front of the shop to send to a customer of his that is in the hospitable as part of a "get well" card, and was adamant of giving the junior a ride home, despite him being Ok.

Lots of ways to earn business. Pretty clear why this shop is so successful.

Well done!

firerescuefin
08-16-2014, 09:21 PM
I changed the title and a little bit of the body to give this thread some life rather than creating another thread.

Give some props to the LBSs that you really like to patronize.

1) Shop Name
2) Location
3) Why they're awesome (examples/stories if ya got em)

pbarry
08-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Vecchio's

Boulder

Peter and Jim

josephr
08-16-2014, 09:29 PM
1) Cahaba Cycles
2) 4 shops in the Bham, AL area
3) they support all the big rides with a wrench wagon, their best wrenches spend time to train new wrenches and customers, always friendly/helpful....

nighthawk
08-16-2014, 09:33 PM
No longer my LBS, but one I still have love for:

1) Legend Bicycle (http://www.legendbicycle.com/)
2) Providence, Rhode Island
3) Knowledgeable staff, great place to hang out, and the owner's passion for cycling, bicycle commuting, and the role of cycling in fostering community and a healthy city.

Legend Bicycle is a traditional brick and mortar business that serves the local Fox Point neighborhood and Greater Providence. Everyone who works at Legend lives within a 20-minute bike ride of the store. We enjoy keeping local bicycles running smoothly on our streets. We spend our paychecks at local grocery stores, coffee shops, and restaurants. We pay local taxes, we vote, and live and breathe the same air as you. We are your neighbors.

Because our customers support us by spending their hard earned money on the goods and services that we offer, we feel it is our responsibility to give back to the Community through those local organizations that we feel make our world a better place.

ctcyclistbob
08-16-2014, 09:34 PM
1) Berlin Bicycle
2) East Berlin , CT
3) No pretense, great atmosphere, and they've always gone extra lengths to take care of the customer. Outstanding service.

dave thompson
08-16-2014, 10:04 PM
2 here in a Spokane.

This Bike Life which has grown from brand new to a force on the local scene in a very short time with great service in all regards.

WheelSport, a smaller local chain selling primarily Specialized and doing a great job of that but importantly offering excellent service to all.

Both the above sell broad lines of bicycles, very low to very high, yet offer a friendly atmosphere to newbies as well as seasoned riders. Both are excellent in the service department too.

I try whenever possible to buy what I need from those shops.

jlwdm
08-16-2014, 10:36 PM
Plenty of LBS trashing threads.

This is the antithesis.

Mad Duck Cyclery
Grapevine, Tx

You must be in North Ft Worth or you are traveling quite a ways.

Big fan of Mad Duck.

Jeff

firerescuefin
08-16-2014, 10:38 PM
You must be in North Ft Worth or you are traveling quite a ways.

Big fan of Mad Duck.

Jeff

We just moved down from Colorado in March. Renting in North Richland Hills. We are looking at Grapevine, Keller, and Trophy Club to buy. Hopefully by the end of the year.

john903
08-16-2014, 10:46 PM
Classic Cycles. I drive an hour and a half one way maybe 3 times a year because.

After being out of the area for 8 years I walked in and a long time staff member said "oh hi john hows it going" as if I was just there last week.

1.Classic Cycles

2.Bainbridge Island, WA

3.They speak Campagnolo, they have an incredible museum, and very friendly in a real sort of way, not the hurry up and buy something and leave way like many new shops seem to be now.

Drmojo
08-16-2014, 10:47 PM
Winters,CA
Myke is owner and wrench par excellence
Works Mavic neutral support for many races
Knows his stuff
Never a hard sell
Ships and sells stuff for me
Can fix anything-tandem, mt., TT bikes, e-shifting
Etc
Never go anywhere else

oldpotatoe
08-17-2014, 07:06 AM
Vecchio's

Boulder

Peter and Jim

Grazie mille....

shovelhd
08-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Valley Ski and Bike Werks, Hadley MA.

They have several racers on staff so they get it.
One of three bike shops that sponsor my club but the only one I use.
I don't think I've ever walked in there and not gotten an acknowledgement within ten seconds even on a busy Saturday.
They have handled warranty issues on my Specialized parts quickly and efficiently.
If I special order something they always call me to keep me in the loop throughout the ordering process. Communication is excellent.
They are my go-to shop. There's got to be a compelling reason for me not to order my stuff from them. I want them to be around for a while.

texbike
08-17-2014, 09:59 AM
My favorite in Austin is The Peddler on Duval @ 51st. It's not a shop full of racers or anorexic, Rapha-wearing, POW-looking, espresso-sipping wildlings. It's just a cool neighborhood shop with a mix of road bikes, commuters, MTBs, BMX, and SSs.

AJ the owner is top notch and he has some fantastic guys working for him. In the last 8 years I've only met one employee there that didn't meet his usual customer-centric, competent standards. Their turn-around times are great and the service prices are very reasonable - not the Ferrari-mechanic labour rates charged by other shops here in town. They have a wonderful laid-back, down to earth vibe and I'm glad that we have them in the area.

Texbike

Ahneida Ride
08-17-2014, 10:07 AM
CycleSport ..... Northern NJ.

Mountain Cycology ....Ludlow, Vt.

texbike
08-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Double-post....

bewheels
08-17-2014, 01:03 PM
I am going to call out a shop but for different reasons than would concern most members of this forum.
He does not stock boutique wheels, frames, and bikes.
He may not have much (if any) Campy laying around the shop.
it is not a shop where racers are hanging out shooting the sh$%t.

But...
It has one of the best woman's rides going. Every Thursday they get 20-60 women of all abilities to show up - triathletes, cross racers, fund raiser riders, century riders, and women trying to sort out riding a bike for 10 miles for the first time.
It has group rides leaving the shop 5 days a week - beginner/intermediate MTB, midweek road, lady's night, Saturday morning (2 groups), and a 'training for a century' Sunday ride.
It has a cross team that consist of a few truly fast folks but more people that just want to learn and have fun.
It is a family run shop. The owner, his wife, their two kids (when they are home from college), and several part time people that are part of their friends-family.

In other words - The shop is about growing the sport of cycling by providing a way to enter into the wacky world of cycling in a non-intimidating manner.
No attitude. Well, the attitude is "how can we help you get on a bike and feel good about it."

Shop name: Gus' Bike Shop

scrubadub
08-17-2014, 02:02 PM
Velotech, Palo Alto, CA
Red Lantern, Menlo Park, CA.
Ride Studio Cafe, Lexington, MA.

All sell high end stuff but don't do the hard sell and are not snooty about stuff. Nice people who do good work and are fun to talk to. I only did one RSC ride but they seemed to be a fun group of people with a diverse range of experience.

juanj
08-17-2014, 03:50 PM
My favorite in Austin is The Peddler on Duval @ 51st. It's not a shop full of racers or anorexic, Rapha-wearing, POW-looking, espresso-sipping wildlings. It's just a cool neighborhood shop with a mix of road bikes, commuters, MTBs, BMX, and SSs.

AJ the owner is top notch and he has some fantastic guys working for him. In the last 8 years I've only met one employee there that didn't meet his usual customer-centric, competent standards. Their turn-around times are great and the service prices are very reasonable - not the Ferrari-mechanic labour rates charged by other shops here in town. They have a wonderful laid-back, down to earth vibe and I'm glad that we have them in the area.

Texbike
AJ's a good guy, he helped me with a bike for my son. The Peddler also hosts an Austin Cycling Association weekly bike ride.

In Austin my favorite is Nelo's. He is expensive but does excellent work. The best thing about Nelo's is that he supports the products he sells, even small things, so if something breaks or malfunctions he's good about giving you a replacement no questions asked. Overall, this is the friendliest place in town to do bike business, or just to visit when the TDF is on.

rnhood
08-17-2014, 03:52 PM
Motion Makers in Asheville, with Liberty Bikes an honorable mention there. Then there is Orange Cycle in Orlando. All three feature top notch lines and equipment, service and people. Class businesses, and they are killing it.

Ralph
08-17-2014, 04:18 PM
Agree on Orange Cycle in Orlando. They are super terrific. The LBS I usually turn to when I need one. However.....we have a lot of great shops in the Orlando Greater area. Never run into one yet that didn't offer to go out of their way to be helpful.

Every shop has it's own business plan (or should). I don't hold it against a shop that is primarily a Trek dealer, for example, and mostly stocks Bontrager stuff. They won't have much big stuff I'm interested in buying maybe, but if they are courteous, well managed, with friendly staff, have a good repair reputation, etc, are successful enough to stay in business, employ some people, pay some local taxes, etc.....I call that a good shop. A shop has to be a business first. If you gain a great reputation by having the best prices, and everyone loves you because you and staff are so nice and helpful, offer rides and all kinds of services, and go broke.....what kind of shop is that?

bcroslin
08-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Swift Cycle (http://swift-cycle.com) in Gainesville, FL. Tim and Keith have a great little shop on University Ave and sponsor several rides/ races throughout the year. They both have done more to get CX established in FL than anyone I know and they were responsible for the infamous Foam party at CX Worlds last year.

67-59
08-17-2014, 06:43 PM
+1 on Vecchio's.

I'll also add Angry Catfish in MPLS. They sell nice bikes, have an attentive and knowledgeable service staff, and carry great clothes (Rapha and Cafe du Cycliste). They also have one of the best espresso bars in the city.

greengage
08-17-2014, 06:44 PM
Swallow Cycle Works in Loveland Oh. For a small shop, it's chock full of great people and bikes. They have a really thoughtful selection, and great service, but the real strength is knowledge base. They walk the walk, talk the talk, and are willing to share what they know. Anywhere from crits to gravel to cx, they do it, sponsor it, and can get you set up for it. And Tom can tune a bike faster and better than anyone I've met. And he's my size so he's let me test ride a bunch of sweet bikes :)

schwa86
08-17-2014, 07:55 PM
I'll give a shout-out to Harris in Newton MA. They have preserved the "here's how to do it" spirit of Sheldon Brown -- I like to do my own (half-*ssed) wrenching, and they always have time to talk me through the things I am about to mess up. Plus they have a great basement full of weird little odds and ends...