PDA

View Full Version : Pacenti road wheels review

jmoore
07-15-2014, 05:08 PM
During the downtime that my Bedford was being repainted, I bought a set of Kirk Pacenti's road wheels. SL23 rims mated to his new 10sp hubs.

I finally got the wheels out for some road time. I'm still messing with air pressure, but I gotta tell you that if the first 55 miles are any indication, then these are some fantastic wheels. I can't really exactly describe what the difference is but they feel like they want to run and not slow down. I really love them. Not to mention that a guy that I haven't ridden with in over a year stopped me during a ride Friday and said "hey those are new wheels, right? they look TIGHT!"

I fully expect that these wheels will continue to improve in performance as I get to know them better and dial in the air pressure.

So if you are considering a set of road wheels, then you would do very well to speak to Kirk. You will not be disappointed.

bluesea
07-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Look'in good!

Came this close to getting a set recently. Being a Neutron guy every once in awhile I get a burr under my saddle due to the rim/tire tightness thing. I'm over it now. :)

SpeedyChix
07-15-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm another happy Pacenti user. Started with some SL23s laced up to White Ind hubs and have been rolling those quite comfortably on gravel, pavement and more for over a year now. Had another road set built for my husband and he loves them.

Added in some new mountain bike wheelsets over the past couple of months. For the husband some TL28s for his 29er and replaced some Stans Crest rims with TL28s as well as snagging one of the fine sets Kirk had posted here. Love 'em. Given my happy experience with the SL23s last year I've been replacing Stans rims on the mountain bikes with Pacenti rims. They set up tubeless smoothly too.

Watching for a tubular CX rim option ; )

The new graphics are outstanding too, want to replace the old style graphics on the two sets of SL23s.

rePhil
07-15-2014, 06:39 PM
I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get Gatorskins on Zonda's.

Look'in good!

Came this close to getting a set recently. Being a Neutron guy every once in awhile I get a burr under my saddle due to the rim/tire tightness thing. I'm over it now. :)

Tony
07-15-2014, 07:02 PM
The new graphics are outstanding too, want to replace the old style graphics on the two sets of SL23s.

+1 on the new graphics.

jwess1234
07-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Thank you for your review. I'm wondering whether anyone on the forum can compare the feel to a similarly built up HED C2 rim.

Perhaps not the right place to bring this up, but I've always wondered how a rim like this compares aerodynamically to deep wheels, e.g. at 20 and 30 mph. If anyone has any links to drag comparisons, I'd be interested in seeing those.

bobswire
07-15-2014, 09:55 PM
During the downtime that my Bedford was being repainted, I bought a set of Kirk Pacenti's road wheels. SL23 rims mated to his new 10sp hubs.

I finally got the wheels out for some road time. I'm still messing with air pressure, but I gotta tell you that if the first 55 miles are any indication, then these are some fantastic wheels. I can't really exactly describe what the difference is but they feel like they want to run and not slow down. I really love them. Not to mention that a guy that I haven't ridden with in over a year stopped me during a ride Friday and said "hey those are new wheels, right? they look TIGHT!"

I fully expect that these wheels will continue to improve in performance as I get to know them better and dial in the air pressure.

So if you are considering a set of road wheels, then you would do very well to speak to Kirk. You will not be disappointed.

Your whole bike looks TIGHT! Wheels look great with that frame.

jmoore
07-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Your whole bike looks TIGHT! Wheels look great with that frame.

I love my bike so much. It has ruined me from riding anything else. Even my two Merckx don't stack up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

Tony
07-15-2014, 11:28 PM
Thank you for your review. I'm wondering whether anyone on the forum can compare the feel to a similarly built up HED C2 rim.

I have both wheels built up close. I can't feel a difference between the two.

dekindy
07-16-2014, 07:36 AM
I have both wheels built up close. I can't feel a difference between the two.

Probably would not want to do road tubeless on the HED. I know conversions are possible but there are rims being converted that the experts would recommend not.

soulspinner
07-16-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the review. Im gonna get a set and its nice to hear.......:hello:

donevwil
07-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Can anyone compare how readily the tire bead 'pops' onto the tubeless shelf relative to another tubeless-ready rim, say, new A23s ? I've heard such good things about the Pacenti's, but after a bad experience with tubeless-ready A23s I'm not ready to put my $$ into another tubeless-ready design without some specific feedback

Specifically I run Grand Bois 32s at 60psi and it took 90psi to pop the bead on an A23. Not really an issue with a floor pump, but no fun at all on the road.

PS. Beautiful bike Jason.

dawgie
07-16-2014, 01:52 PM
No mention of road wheels on the Pacenti website. Is this a new venture for him? What do they cost?

I would be more interested in a review posted after using the wheels awhile. IMHO, problems seldom pop up on the first ride. They develop over time. I had some wheels built by a local bike shop that seemed great for the first few weeks, but I was less impressed after they broke 3 spokes and started creaking terribly after a couple of months.

jmoore
07-16-2014, 02:32 PM
No mention of road wheels on the Pacenti website. Is this a new venture for him? What do they cost?

I would be more interested in a review posted after using the wheels awhile. IMHO, problems seldom pop up on the first ride. They develop over time. I had some wheels built by a local bike shop that seemed great for the first few weeks, but I was less impressed after they broke 3 spokes and started creaking terribly after a couple of months.

I agree with the above statement which is why I put the mileage in the post.

The offer is on the site in the Paceline gear sticky: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=149094 You will need to talk to Kirk to see if the deal is still good.

sparky33
07-16-2014, 03:12 PM
The offer is on the site in the Paceline gear sticky: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=149094 You will need to talk to Kirk to see if the deal is still good.

Good deal on 10s wheels!
I would be interested to know if there are any standard 11s wheelsets offered with Pacenti hubs and rims.

jmoore
07-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Good deal on 10s wheels!
I would be interested to know if there are any standard 11s wheelsets offered with Pacenti hubs and rims.

Email Kirk and ask. He is very good with communication.

tiretrax
07-16-2014, 03:38 PM
I can attest that is one beautiful set of wheels and frame. That picture was snapped while riding through the mean streets of downtown Dallas. The Pacentis survived the potholes, my superlight race wheels got hammered.

slueck
07-16-2014, 06:37 PM
They also now come in all black.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kirk Pacenti
07-17-2014, 10:10 AM
We hope to have the 11spd set in a few months. In the mean time, we can do custom builds with other hubs, call me anytime to discuss.

Cheers,
KP