PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Ventoux

bocarider
07-15-2014, 11:30 AM
My wife, son and I rode Ventoux a few weeks ago. We did the ascent from Bedoin. Don't let anyone kid you - it is really freakin' hard, especially when you live and train in Florida with no hills. Even after the 2 previous weeks of riding in Corsica and Provence, with a lot of climbing, nothing can really prepare you for the 9%-11% of sustained elevation grade through the forest. Thankfully, my son and I had each other to trade pulls. My wife was a little bit behind us, but said she thought it was managable until the last few ramps. She's pretty tough.

The last 800 meters were brutal and the top is crazy with cyclists, cars and tourists. There were literally hundreds of cyclists on the mountain that day – pretty cool to be part of it.

We descended to Chalet Renard for some lunch.

It was a lot of fun and one of the iconic climbs in cycling.

A few of the pics are from the professional photographers that lurk by the side of the road and put their cards in your pocket as you crawl by. I took the picture of lunch.

wallymann
07-15-2014, 11:49 AM
most excellent and memorable experience!

tiretrax
07-15-2014, 11:52 AM
That's so great. I hope I can get my family to join me one day. Did you bring your bikes? That omlette looks great, but I'm famished - I have a conference call in 5 minutes instead of going to lunch.

I have been laughing at how you describe the photographers putting their cards in your pockets.

Chapeau a tout.

93legendti
07-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Awesome. I've always wanted to do that climb. Looks like it was a blast...

Matthew
07-15-2014, 12:22 PM
Great job! And nice Moots!

Lionel
07-15-2014, 12:24 PM
one of the toughest climb in France, probably the toughest if the wind is blowing hard

joep2517
07-15-2014, 12:48 PM
Thank you for sharing the pics. I can appreciate a Florida rider trying to train for mountains. Great job.

cdn_bacon
07-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Thanks so much for sharing! What an experience!

572cv
07-15-2014, 01:08 PM
Chapeau congrats! We did this ride two years ago in September, but it was hot, as I imagine it might have been in summer, e.g. for you. Thought the ride through the forest from Bedoin just...would... not .... end. But once that threshold was achieved, and the summit was visible from the distance, suddenly, it was going to be possible. What a great ride. Bomber descent. Completely worth it. You guys did great to do it in July.

I want to go back and ride it from Malaucene if ever I can.

bocarider
07-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Did you bring your bikes?

Yes - we have been traveling with our bikes for years. My bike is S&S coupled, which has been great for travel - it's all around great bike. I hung up my Ottrott 4 years ago when I got my Moots. I am a one bike at a time guy, so I ride the Moots 4 or 5 days a week.

My wife's Legend goes in a Sci-Con hard shell travel case, which is pretty good travel case. It packs up easier than the Trico I had been using.

We have schlepped our bikes all over Europe and the USA on various trips. We try and find the airlines that charge the least for flying your bike. Jet Blue, Virgin, Southwest tend to be the best on this. Delta kills you, but sometimes you get stuck with them.

Riding your own bike up Mt. Ventoux is great if you are willing to bring it with you.

velotel
07-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Chapeau to all of you. That puppy is never easy, no matter how strong you are.

bocarider
07-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Chapeau to all of you. That puppy is never easy, no matter how strong you are.

Merci - from you sir, that is a compliment.

FYI, Velotel is a very gracious resource on riding in France. He suggested some great routes for us about 4 years ago when we were riding in the French Alps.

enr1co
07-15-2014, 05:46 PM
Pics look great and way to go! Thanks for sharing!

Climb01742
07-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Congrats for realizing that goal/dream. To do it with your family is sweetest of all. Kudos.

Len J
07-15-2014, 06:51 PM
Bucket list.

Congrats.

Len

choke
07-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Very nice. You've just made a lot of people jealous.

ceolwulf
07-15-2014, 09:32 PM
Nicely done :hello:

PaMtbRider
07-16-2014, 08:23 AM
Congrats! You accomplished a very tough climb and got to share the experience with family members. That is very cool and something you will always remember. My wife and I did Ventoux many years ago on a tandem. We ended up with high winds and dropping temps at the summit. We didn't get to really enjoy the accomplishment until we descended to a restaurant where we got hot chocolate and a chance to warm up.

Elefantino
07-16-2014, 08:31 AM
Congrats! :banana:

Yes, it is hard. The hardest thing I've ever done. But so, so satisfying!

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l84/gmmtwo/mikerbrventoux.jpg

maxn
07-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Nice!! Good job; that thing is a beast, but such a great ride.

Hunkerdown
07-16-2014, 04:38 PM
I did the climb when on a Backroads tour last month. An absolutely unforgettable experience.

HD

BumbleBeeDave
07-16-2014, 08:34 PM
I did it in 2012 and was surprised that the forest was way harder then the "moonscape" that always seems to get the attention in the media. You can;t see the summit, and the road keeps twisting through the trees so you can't really get any sense as to when you might get out of them. Plus it was like 90 degrees, which didn't help. :eek:

I stopped at the Simpson memorial for quite a while. It was very emotional because it's just so desolate. All I could think of was what a hell of a place to die. Absolutely desolate except for the road.

After we came down he opposite side and had lunch we did an extra little loop to a village called "La Roque" . . . really pretty and you can see why it's named "The rock." :rolleyes:

I also had one of my most memorable cycling experiences on the back side as we came down at 40-45 mph. It's a really nice highway and we could really let it go. We're zooming along and "Ride of the Valkyries" by Wagner came on my iPod. wow. Just a sublime 5 or so minutes as I sped down the mountain with that thundering in my one ear.

BBD

Louis
07-16-2014, 08:42 PM
Congratulations - you earned those lunch calories many times over. :hello:

bouddha
07-18-2014, 09:46 AM
My favourite climb in South of France with the "Col de l'Izoard .
2 climbs with a moon landscape at the end of them.

My pleasure is to climb The Mont Ventoux by the 3 sides on the same afternoon.
Bedoin is really the more mythic way with a lot of warriors on bike !

texbike
07-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Congrats on the ride Boca!

I'm glad to hear so many others voice that the climb was tough. :) It was probably the toughest climb that I've done. The day we rode it in 2005 was extremely hot and it was just brutal once above the treeline. It was so nice to reach the station and find a bit of shade. For some reason, I'll always remember a really cool, light blue Citroen DS parked at the top. It just seemed to be at home there.

Texbike