PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 2009 Cervelo S1

stephenmarklay
07-15-2014, 07:55 AM
What is a fair price on one with Ultegra SL in good shape?

I have been thinking about more of a race bike again and I have read these are a pretty good bang for the buck.

Thanks so much.

MrCannonCam
07-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Around the $900-1000 mark would be a very good deal. Could also find newer Caad10's with rival or new 105 for the $800-900 range new if you scour searchtempest if you're into that.

stephenmarklay
07-15-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks. That's about what I was thinking too. I was also thinking CAAD10. There is a CL S1 right now so that is what I was looking at.

mgm777
07-16-2014, 12:40 AM
I just sold a 2009 S1 with less than 400 miles on it. It was pre-positioned in SoCal for my frequent business trips there. Due to a change in my travel schedule, I wasn't visiting that area as frequently. So, I sold it to a friend of a friend for $800. I felt that was on the low side, but it saved me from having to ship it or part it out. I enjoyed riding the bike. What surprised me most about the bike was how smooth it rode for an Aluminum frame. The ride wasn't harsh at all. In fact, it was unexpectedly smooth for an Al bike. Also, I was surprised at how well it tracked on high speed descents. I'm not sure why, but I just expected it to be less stable on fast descents than my bikes at home, a Ti Seven and Serotta Legend. That wasn't the case at all . Again, the S1 was unexpectedly stable on high speed twisty descents. I was pleasantly surprised. The S1 is a very good value bike. Great choice for racing, IMHO.

flickwet
07-31-2014, 12:00 AM
The best true race bike, my son raced his nationally as a junior to good success, he won plenty of Cat 3 Crits with it. Stable under power, a real sprinter's bike. Also indestructible, an important feature when racing on the skinny.
Furthermore, he just won a junior national championship on his aluminum cervelo t2. Cervelo's work really well and aluminum can't be beat, light,stiff, tuff.

vav
07-31-2014, 01:29 PM
. I enjoyed riding the bike. What surprised me most about the bike was how smooth it rode for an Aluminum frame. The ride wasn't harsh at all. In fact, it was unexpectedly smooth for an Al bike. Also, I was surprised at how well it tracked on high speed descents. I was pleasantly surprised. The S1 is a very good value bike. Great choice for racing, IMHO.

That's how I feel about my 09 S1 too. FWIW I bought it from my local CL for 1k as pictured. I still think it's my best CL find ever :banana:

Fatty
07-31-2014, 10:21 PM
S1 is a nice bike. I owned one, sold it because it was a bit small.
The ride quality was great for a race worthy frame. There were some issues with fork recalls, maybe the make was Wolf ? But at the 2009 year I think your OK.
The only thing I did not like about the frame was the seatpost used a shim, other than that a great frame that can hold it's own with any new carbon.

rice rocket
08-01-2014, 04:47 AM
Friend of mine got his warrantied for a frame crack, not sure I have faith being a secondhand buyer.

Also beware, that frame was when Cervelo stood steadfast to the archaic 73/73 mantra, which made toe overlap very much a problem in smaller sizes. You'll find that they've reconsidered their stance and none of their bikes are exactly 73 deg now.

shovelhd
08-01-2014, 06:16 AM
The best true race bike, my son raced his nationally as a junior to good success, he won plenty of Cat 3 Crits with it. Stable under power, a real sprinter's bike. Also indestructible, an important feature when racing on the skinny.
Furthermore, he just won a junior national championship on his aluminum cervelo t2. Cervelo's work really well and aluminum can't be beat, light,stiff, tuff.

Congratulations to your son for earning his stripes.

tootoojohn
10-20-2014, 05:53 AM
http://claz.org/classifieds?q=Cervelo+S1 there is a couple 1200-1800