PDA

View Full Version : why the increase in torx bolts on bikes?

wallymann
07-14-2014, 06:13 PM
theyre a PITA. i see them mainly from SRAM, but even campy uses them in their rear-mech fixin bolts and chainring bolts now.

why?

i see them in steel M4/M5 bolts with torque values from 5-10NM...so no specially high torque values or soft metals. to me its stupid to introduce yet a different bolt-head spec when hex-keys have worked fine and continue to work fine.

Tony
07-14-2014, 06:20 PM
I've come to prefer torx bolts over hex bolts, more solid interface between bolt and key.

wallymann
07-14-2014, 06:24 PM
i googled...looks like theyr e relevant for smaller bolts and softer metals.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Bolt_Tech_-_Will_Torx_Win__3170.html

ultraman6970
07-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Light bolts always come in torx to avoid damage by the neanderthals that think that a bicycle is like fixing a car :P

bluesea
07-14-2014, 06:47 PM
theyre a PITA. i see them mainly from SRAM, but even campy uses them in their rear-mech fixin bolts and chainring bolts now.

why?

i see them in steel M4/M5 bolts with torque values from 5-10NM...so no specially high torque values or soft metals. to me its stupid to introduce yet a different bolt-head spec when hex-keys have worked fine and continue to work fine.

Campy: brake and brifter mounting bolts as well.

FastforaSlowGuy
07-14-2014, 06:53 PM
I like 'em. Crisper interface with tools, which makes me more confident that things are getting torqued to the right tension. Getting it a little wrong on handlebars means slipping (too little) or cracking (too much). I'm not so worried about it with BBs and other high torque areas, where a couple nm either way won't be a big deal.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2014, 06:58 PM

why?

On bike stuff, small and aluminum in almost all cases.

pbarry
07-14-2014, 07:42 PM
I've come to prefer torx bolts over hex bolts, more solid interface between bolt and key.

Yep, less likely to strip out. Became familiar with them working on Ford trucks and, using GRK screws in home building applications: Best fasteners for wood out there. Not cheap and worth every nickel.

Dirtdiggler
07-14-2014, 07:45 PM
I welcome torx bolts. Less chance of thieves taking off your thomson seat post.

bluesea
07-14-2014, 07:50 PM
Harder to get a good purchase on the brifter mount.

lhuerta
07-14-2014, 10:08 PM
Light bolts always come in torx to avoid damage by the neanderthals that think that a bicycle is like fixing a car :P

+100 ... i.e. those who think that Max Torque stamped on components is recommended torque

Veloo
07-15-2014, 12:47 AM
Get the Pedros Torx set. It will take away the pain.

bewheels
07-15-2014, 03:07 AM
If they create a more solide interface between the bolt head and the tool, how would this reduce one's ability to over torque? It would increase it because you had more connection, correct?

...this is a real question not a dig...

unterhausen
07-15-2014, 06:46 AM
it helps stop damage to the bolt head. You can still over-torque the bolt

FlashUNC
07-15-2014, 06:50 AM
I'll take a torx bolt over a rounded out Allen head any day.

oldpotatoe
07-15-2014, 08:17 AM

Mee too, I'll bet some didn't like Phillips heads when they were brand new.

Roadguy
07-15-2014, 01:56 PM
As much as I loathe swapping tools like I do wheels to keep up with things I do dig torx to avoid stripping.

benb
07-15-2014, 02:13 PM
I would like to see these on deraiuller cages that come apart.. on my SRAM cages I was able to take them apart for cleaning but then they stripped out really quick... the Shimano ones I've never even been able to get one apart, I give up because I figure the bolt is just going to strip... those are always so damn hard to get apart!

bcroslin
07-15-2014, 02:18 PM
I've snapped two of the damn things on the Ritchie stem on mtb. Torx (on a bike) is of the devil.