PDA

View Full Version : F1 fork crack - ride or return?

oliver1850
07-14-2014, 01:19 PM
Bought this F1 on ebay, seller didn't notice crack. It's about 3/8" long on either side of the radius on the back side of the fork, so 3/4" total length.

I'm tempted to ride it and keep an eye on it. I paid $80 for it. Fair compensation amount considering the crack wasn't mentioned? Good condition otherwise other than the paint's rubbed off from debris under the crown. Steel steerer, Ti dropouts.

thanks

vav
07-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Return.

shovelhd
07-14-2014, 01:21 PM
No question.

malcolm
07-14-2014, 01:35 PM
I like my teeth too much to ride a carbon fork I even remotely thought was cracked.

AngryScientist
07-14-2014, 01:42 PM
generally i'm not one for being overly cautious, but that definitely looks bad enough that i would never ride it. no way, not even one ride.

jpritchet74
07-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Never ride a cracked fork. No way.

pbarry
07-14-2014, 01:50 PM
No freaking way. Not a bargain at any price.

christian
07-14-2014, 01:50 PM
Fair compensation is $80. Seller decides whether he wants it back (and pays return shipping) or you keep it.

If I'd sold that fork, I'd refund your money and tell you to enjoy your new toilet paper dispenser.

(I am not liable for any injuries resulting from use of cracked TP dispenser.)

Fatty
07-14-2014, 01:51 PM
If you ride that fork you are a much, much braver man than I. :eek:

EPOJoe
07-14-2014, 02:09 PM
No way would I ride that. I always thought my F1 was indestructible. I'm gonna go have a look at it right now.

Of course, it could be possible that that's just cracking in the paint (can't see clearly, but it looks like there are lots of tiny hairline cracks). If that were the case, I'd have the paint removed and the fork inspected by someone like Calfee before riding.

David Kirk
07-14-2014, 02:29 PM
I think there are two possible things going on here -

1) there is always a bit of filler putty on the underside of these crowns and in time that stuff can get brittle, shrink and crack. So it's possible the fork is fine and that this is a crack in the finish and that structurally it's fine.

2) it could be cracked in a structural way and be one impact away from having you spit out your teeth like a mouthful of Chicklets.

How can you tell if it's #1 or #2? You can ride it and if it goes well for a long time and you still have your teeth then the fork is fine. If not you'll know.

I'll say this - I would never ride that fork myself or let a friend of loved one ride it. IMO that thing is all done and should not be ridden by anyone ever again. I've seen the results of broken forks and they can and will hurt, kill, or paralyze you. The risk is too high the the benefit way too low for it to balance out.

Get your money back or keep it, cut it in half and call it a day.

Sorry.

dave

ultraman6970
07-14-2014, 02:34 PM
He only way to know if that's a crap is peeling the paint.

I imagine the fork is not creaking either?

Time to peel that paint off.... talk with the seller.

Saint Vitus
07-14-2014, 03:39 PM
My F1 sits in a box in the shed for similar issues. Return.