PDA

View Full Version : Removing free hub from Campy OS axle

Gat64
07-13-2014, 09:35 AM
I am doing some work on my Shamal Ultras (2012 model) and I can not seem to slide off the free hub after removing the retaining nut and tube washer. The free hub pulls up easily about 3-4mm, then stops. If you then turn it, the free hub then seems to fall into a notch, which then locks to the axle (no longer spinning freely on the axle).

Does anyone know the "trick" to remove the free hub? The campy directions just show it sliding off the axle after removing the retaining nut and tube washer.

Cheers

oldpotatoe
07-13-2014, 09:38 AM
I am doing some work on my Shamal Ultras (2012 model) and I can not seem to slide off the free hub after removing the retaining nut and tube washer. The free hub pulls up easily about 4-5mm, then stops. If you then turn it, the free hub then seems to fall into a notch, which then locks to the axle (no longer spinning freely on the axle).

Does anyone know the "trick" to remove the free hub? The campy directions just show it sliding off the axle after removing the retaining nut and tube washer.

Cheers

Lobed axle, just wiggle the FH around while holding the axle

Gat64
07-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Lobed axle, just wiggle the FH around while holding the axle

Thanks for this, but I have attempted this, but there seems to be no wiggle-ability. Should I be pulling it out to the max position and then attempt to wiggle it? In the max position out, it is locked on the axle (no longer spinning freely on the axle).

oldpotatoe
07-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Thanks for this, but I have attempted this, but there seems to be no wiggle-ability. Should I be pulling it out to the max position and then attempt to wiggle it? In the max position out, it is locked on the axle (no longer spinning freely on the axle).

Axle has lobes on, hole in bottom of FH body triangular shaped...kinda like a puzzle piece.

Gat64
07-13-2014, 10:14 AM
Axle has lobes on, hole in bottom of FH body triangular shaped...kinda like a puzzle piece.

I guess I am lobely challenged! I can see the lobed sections of the FH, but no luck with moving the axle into these lobed sections. I guess I will pop into my LBS to attempt.

It may be unrelated, but I notice that the new version of this axle has the race machined in to the axle, while mine has a press fit black race (like the bottom one in the blue background picture). The other picture is the part you can order.

oldpotatoe
07-13-2014, 11:52 AM

I guess I am lobely challenged! I can see the lobed sections of the FH, but no luck with moving the axle into these lobed sections. I guess I will pop into my LBS to attempt.

It may be unrelated, but I notice that the new version of this axle has the race machined in to the axle, while mine has a press fit black race (like the bottom one in the blue background picture). The other picture is the part you can order.

It is a tapered place but all axles use the black press on races. All of them

FH-RE-022

lhuerta
07-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Campy has a youtube channel with tons of videos....see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM9SiZVYe_g

Lou

Gat64
07-13-2014, 05:13 PM
Campy has a youtube channel with tons of videos....see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM9SiZVYe_g

Lou

Thanks - but I can not find any that deal with taking the lobing FH off. If anyone knows, please pass it on. I have been fiddling with it for ages, and it will not slide off. Maybe I need to apply a bit more force? I usually never have an issue dealing with campy stuff, but this is a bit frustrating.

lhuerta
07-13-2014, 07:54 PM
per OldPotato above, WIGGLE and PULL with a bit of muscle....you won't break it, really.
Lou

oldpotatoe
07-14-2014, 06:26 AM
Thanks - but I can not find any that deal with taking the lobing FH off. If anyone knows, please pass it on. I have been fiddling with it for ages, and it will not slide off. Maybe I need to apply a bit more force? I usually never have an issue dealing with campy stuff, but this is a bit frustrating.

You can't really hurt it but don't force it..have a LBS that 'qui si parla Campagnolo', look at it..

Hindmost
07-14-2014, 09:55 AM
If memory serves...one can put a single ring on the freehub along with a lock ring to provide a handhold (finger hold?) to push/pull them apart.

Gat64
07-14-2014, 09:37 PM
So in the end I had to strike the axle a few times and then the FH finally came off. It was just a very snug fit between the FH bearing and the axle. All good and no damage!

Thanks all for the advice!

oldpotatoe
07-15-2014, 08:26 AM
So in the end I had to strike the axle a few times and then the FH finally came off. It was just a very snug fit between the FH bearing and the axle. All good and no damage!

Thanks all for the advice!

Huzzah!!