PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like to hear as cycling commentators?

bikinchris
07-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Remember, you have to have a guy who is a "reader" who has the job of reading plugs and upcoming events, then a color commentator, who SHOULD know the sport.

SO who would you like to have as a talking head in your cycling ear?

texbike
07-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Remember, you have to have a guy who is a "reader" who has the job of reading plugs and upcoming events, then a color commentator, who SHOULD know the sport.

Samuel Jackson (reader)
Jens
Cipollini
Guest commentator - Pantani (live via satellite)

A potential interaction between the group:

Jackson - "It looks like the MF'g peloton is approaching that MF'g turn. Damn. Ain't that some sh**"???"

Jens - "Yes (in best Australian (?) accent) they're coming up fast on the turn. They'll have to be real hardmen to make that one".

Cipollini - "Lance Armstrong would have made that turn with ease" (said while simultaneously impregnating the three hot Italian models sitting on his lap).

Jackson to Cipollini - "Say "Lance" again. Say "LANCE" again! I dare you. I double dare you MF'r! Say Lance one more GD time...."

And cut to a commercial of the new Garmin Leaf - the first electric car that always knows where it is....

ultratoad
07-12-2014, 02:35 PM

Ligget and Sherwen of course.... They are cycling to me.... Throw in a large dose of Bobki for entertainment and things are pretty much perfect.... The new guys they are trying-- not so much....

Bruce K
07-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Sorry, but I'm OK with Phil, Paul, and Bob. Van de Velde is a nice addition as he bring current insight to the commentary.

With all their plusses and minuses, they are still cycling to me, too.

Kind of like Cosell and boxing or MNF

BK

Shortsocks
07-12-2014, 02:57 PM

Texbike

Lol. I love that...via satellite. That made my day. Thanks.

CunegoFan
07-12-2014, 04:53 PM
Matt Keenan and Chris Horner

shovelhd
07-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Bob Roll, Jamie Smith and Phil Gaimon.

oldpotatoe
07-12-2014, 05:11 PM
Sorry, but I'm OK with Phil, Paul, and Bob. Van de Velde is a nice addition as he bring current insight to the commentary.

BK

Agree.

Tony
07-12-2014, 05:21 PM
Samuel Jackson (reader)
Jens
Cipollini

A potential interaction between the group:

Jackson - "It looks like the MF'g peloton is approaching that MF'g turn. Damn. Ain't that some sh**"???"

Jens - "Yes (in best Australian (?) accent) they're coming up fast on the turn. They'll have to be real hardmen to make that one".

Cipollini - "Lance Armstrong would have made that turn with ease" (said while simultaneously impregnating the three hot Italian models sitting on his lap).

Jackson to Cipollini - "Say "Lance" again. Say "LANCE" again! I dare you. I double dare you MF'r! Say Lance one more GD time...."

And cut to a commercial of the new Garmin Leaf - the first electric car that always knows where it is....

LOL, Brilliant! :)

bikinchris
07-12-2014, 06:08 PM
I know I would like a girl to be the "company" girl and read intros and promos etc. Sorry that's extremely sexist, but a girls voice is so much easier to listen to when you have caught up and can't FF through commercials. Just a soft, syrupy voice that is easy to listen to.

As for race and 'color' anchors, Phil and Paul just piss me off when they screw up simple stuff. Maybe they should get them a 60 inch HDTV instead of the tiny little monitors they have now.

Hearing someone like Christian or Fabian with technical comments is great. The accent needs to be slight or it makes it hard to listen to.

kramnnim
07-12-2014, 06:16 PM
I like Carlton Kirby. He gets a bit too excited in the last 1km, though. Sean Kelly sounds too sleepy. Lemond and the Italian guy that talk before and after the stage on British Eurosport are fine...I like how they get random riders to join them. The ITV guys are okay.

I really dislike P&P and do not find Bob Roll interesting or amusing.

chengher87
07-12-2014, 06:31 PM
Carlton Kirby and Brian Smith. Really like Smith, alot more than Sean Kelly. Maybe throw in Daniel Lloyd from time to time too, he's pretty funny.

holliscx
07-12-2014, 06:42 PM
scarlett johansson

FlashUNC
07-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Any of the Eurosport crews.

The NBC Sports guys are turrrble. Whether the studio or calling the race.

Rebel_Biker
07-12-2014, 07:10 PM
I would like to have Lance and Tyler or Lemond and Bernard Hinault. That would get the fireworks started.

jlwdm
07-12-2014, 07:18 PM

BK

Really?

Phil, Paul and Bob are a joke. They never seem to have a clue about what is going on. The bias for English speaking riders is also tiresome.

Van de Velde is just painful to listen to. He can't seem to complete a thought or a complete sentence.

Jeff

tiretrax
07-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Agreed. I'm about to go crazy with Phil's misidentifications of simple things like Nibali's country of origin and who hit Tejay and caused his fall on Stage 7, then cutting off Paul midsentence when he tries to politely correct the mistake. Phil's asset is his encyclopaedic knowlege.

Chris Horner and Paul Sherwin will make a great combination.

Ozrider
07-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Jens would be great once he retires from racing.
He would have brilliant knowledge of what the riders are experiencing and a current knowledge of the peleton, as well as his fantastic humour.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,

kramnnim
07-12-2014, 10:21 PM
Ugh...watching a highlights replay and Phil was bumbling about "Raphael Madge-ka"

seanile
07-13-2014, 02:00 AM
gilbert gottfried please and thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1RcKJVbHA

r_mutt
07-13-2014, 07:37 AM
i like hearing what Magnus Backstedt has to say when he's on air.

oldpotatoe
07-13-2014, 07:56 AM
Jens would be great once he retires from racing.
He would have brilliant knowledge of what the riders are experiencing and a current knowledge of the peleton, as well as his fantastic humour.

Parlee Z5, Trek Madone, Colnago Dream,

PelOton.

Wilkinson4
07-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Jens
Robin Williams
Lemond

mIKE

gianni
07-13-2014, 01:53 PM
Anybody but P Ligget --even Sarah Palin would be better.

I would love to see: P Sherwin, Jen's, Horner, Lemond (even boozy Lemond)

rustychisel
07-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Anybody but P Ligget --even Sarah Palin would be better.

Callin' you on that. You don't really mean it.

Not Matthew Keenan, too much book reading and nothing like commentary 'smarts', but that's where I'm stumped. Can't really think of anyone I'd really want to hear... Jens would be insightful but I think the man-love for him gets a bit much sometimes.

For Australian viewers, I'm thinking post-stage analysis from Baden Cooke is pretty ok.

HenryA
07-13-2014, 06:41 PM
A little twist:

Paul and Phil, with an Englishman off the front near the finish.

pbarry
07-13-2014, 07:46 PM
I like Sean Kelly. The mono-tone brogue works well with the excellent motocam coverage these days, (it's not baseball on the radio in the 1950's).Great insight, doesn't say anything stupid, and has nothing to prove. Respect.

ptourkin
07-13-2014, 07:51 PM
Agreed. I'm about to go crazy with Phil's misidentifications of simple things like Nibali's country of origin and who hit Tejay and caused his fall on Stage 7, then cutting off Paul midsentence when he tries to politely correct the mistake. Phil's asset is his encyclopaedic knowlege.

Chris Horner and Paul Sherwin will make a great combination.

and Paul going on and on this morning about how the BMC team car would be first in line tomorrow morning - I guess all red kits look alike. His explanation when apparently notified of the mistake was even more bizarre.

Horner will be great. I like CDV this year before he's been tainted by the rest of them too much.

Maggie, Carlton, Kelly are all preferable to me.

Ti Designs
07-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Stephen Wright.

George Carlin would be a close second, but he's been less funny since he died.

bikingshearer
07-13-2014, 10:45 PM
I'd like to hear Phil and Paul do a stage on acid. Or helium. Maybe both. It would give the phrase "performance enhancing substances" a whole new meaning.

gavingould
07-13-2014, 11:03 PM
scarlett johansson
^^^^ we have a winner.

i usually listen to the Eurosport feed with Sean Kelly... though after the first week i get tired of hearing 'making the calculation'

http://bikesandbidons.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/bn1l7h8ciaawgk2.jpg

bikinchris
07-14-2014, 08:19 PM
The clichés get old after the 10,000th time you hear them.

93legendti
07-14-2014, 08:24 PM
As long as we don't have to go back to the days of only 30 -60 minutes/day on espn, I can live with the present commentators. With 5 hours of coverage today, I won't be greedy. I will say I never liked that guy from Eurosport (Duffy?).

bikinchris
07-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Okay
Scarlett for announcer
Limited Bob for color, but not race coverage

Race coverage
Chris Horner for tech
Who for the other color?

holliscx
07-15-2014, 03:04 AM
I'm going to have to go with Brian Griffin, the dog from Family Guy to compliment Ms. Johansson with color analysis.