PDA

View Full Version : TdF: Stage 8 (beware spoilers!)

chengher87
07-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Talansky down again.

Md3000
07-12-2014, 10:41 AM
What did you think of Alberto vs Vincenzo ? It looked like AC was fresher and Nibali only barely held on but AC couldn't get rid of him.

MattTuck
07-12-2014, 11:00 AM
When I played tennis in highschool we talked a lot about unforced errors and mental mistakes... I didn't see today's crash because I was only able to follow text updates. It seems that talansky is not riding smart.

harryblack
07-12-2014, 11:05 AM
Great ride by Kadri...

Instant karma for Talansky-- funny how that happens!-- and now hopefully we'll not hear from him again this tour.

I'll provisionally credit Teejay's ride so long as we don't hear of any complaints or excuses later. Regardless, the Americans are of little interest this year, save Greg LeMond's excruciating post-stage Eurosport segments. (Did Greg prepare for this gig at all or what?)

Hard to tell for certain but I'm leaning strongly towards Contador feeling strong today and Nibali just a little off... Or even more than a little off and fighting to mask it?

bobswire
07-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Great ride by Kadri...

Instant karma for Talansky-- funny how that happens!-- and now hopefully we'll not hear from him again this tour.

Speak for yourself but I guess he disrespected you...... oh wait he didn't,except in your wildest dreams.
Hate is a wonderful thing..

gianni
07-12-2014, 11:28 AM
A little thread drift, but I just saw CH (rednecks) interview on the replay. He is such a resource and I hope he rides into some form in preparation for the vuelta.

I look forward to redneck's future as an analyst if and when he decides to stop. Ligget should be totally done by then.

Dio cane!

soulspinner
07-12-2014, 11:41 AM
A little thread drift, but I just saw CH (rednecks) interview on the replay. He is such a resource and I hope he rides into some form in preparation for the vuelta.

I look forward to redneck's future as an analyst if and when he decides to stop. Ligget should be totally done by then.

Dio cane!

He one again disclosed his power numbers, saying he won the Vuelta with those watts.... but its the Tour.

CunegoFan
07-12-2014, 11:49 AM
He one again disclosed his power numbers, saying he won the Vuelta with those watts.... but its the Tour.

Horner has no chance at the Tour. It is completely different type of route than the Vuelta. Too many ITT kilometers, not enough climbing, and the climbing is moderate grades compared to the Vuelta or Giro.

I wish Lampre would have saved him for the Vuelta. They should have put him in the Tour of Austria.

Contador sounds very confident.

Waldo
07-12-2014, 12:26 PM
You just knew Kadri was going to win with all the French fans chanting his name and waving their umblellas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinoymamba
07-12-2014, 12:35 PM
that narrow steep section with the crowd not giving any space :no:

soulspinner
07-12-2014, 12:53 PM
Horner has no chance at the Tour. It is completely different type of route than the Vuelta. Too many ITT kilometers, not enough climbing, and the climbing is moderate grades compared to the Vuelta or Giro.

I wish Lampre would have saved him for the Vuelta. They should have put him in the Tour of Austria.

Contador sounds very confident.

I knew that................We will see who has something left, the worst is yet to come :cool:

rain dogs
07-12-2014, 12:59 PM

Which watts Chris? Where? on the flats? or when? For one part of a climb?

Geraint Thomas beat Horner today by 35 seconds. On a route with a 2km, 11% finish. So, Thomas should be able to win the Vuelta?

This is a first actual day with mountains (and small ones at that) and he's trying to convince us that's like day after day after day of the Vuelta when he was cranking out the watts, on every climb, and setting the second fastest time in history up the Angliru?

The more that guy talk like a duck the more he's asking us to be fools.

I can produce the watts of the Vuelta winner too, more infact! But I sure as heck can't avg 17.81kmph up the Angliru or sustain those watts for more than 2 minutes, let alone two weeks of Vuelta climbing.

Vientomas
07-12-2014, 01:17 PM

Geraint Thomas beat Horner today by 35 seconds. On a route with a 2km, 11% finish. So, Thomas should be able to win the Vuelta?

This is a first actual day with mountains (and small ones at that) and he's trying to convince us that's like day after day after day of the Vuelta when he was cranking out the watts, on every climb, and setting the second fastest time in history up the Angliru?

I can produce the watts of the Vuelta winner too, more infact! But I sure as heck can't avg 17.81kmph up the Angliru or sustain those watts for more than 2 minutes, let alone two weeks of Vuelta climbing.

You must be a Horner fan.

soulspinner
07-12-2014, 01:20 PM

Said in iterview 550 at the base, 400 up the climb.......he is and has been trying to make a point for a long time disclosing numbers.

harryblack
07-12-2014, 02:10 PM
One rider wasn’t too happy with the American – Leopold Konig of the NetApp-Endura branding Talansky an “idiot” and holding him responsible for the crash, which saw him also lose valuable time. “That idiot Talansky took me out on the last descent. Yesterday, he blamed Gerrans when it was his own fault and today he caused a crash again. I have no time for people like that. I’ll have a word with him because I’m not happy,” said the irate Czech.

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/blazin-saddles/tour-farce-yellow-hats-kilts-noodle-doodle-175445736.html

bikinchris
07-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Great ride by Kadri...

I'll provisionally credit Teejay's ride so long as we don't hear of any complaints or excuses later. Regardless, the Americans are of little interest this year, save Greg LeMond's excruciating post-stage Eurosport segments. (Did Greg prepare for this gig at all or what?)

Hard to tell for certain but I'm leaning strongly towards Contador feeling strong today and Nibali just a little off... Or even more than a little off and fighting to mask it?

I find it ironic how people whine and complain about people who whine and complain. I do it too, though...

bikinchris
07-12-2014, 02:15 PM

Dio cane!

IMO, Ligget "should be" done about 6 years ago...

I guess he doesn't have a garden. Or a dog, so he keeps working as a commentator. I know I don't want to work forever.

bikinchris
07-12-2014, 02:19 PM

I guess you didn't hear the interview? That was exactly his point. He said he hit almost 600 watts (okay 550) for a little while, then held 400+ watts. In the Giro, he was climbing at 400 watts average. But his point was that everyone does well on the first few climbs. There are 2 weeks left. Let's see what everyone does.

ultraman6970
07-12-2014, 02:26 PM
The best of today's stage...

- The old lady that helped talansky.

- Contador is tiny better than Nibali.

- Tinkoff is going to start using demolition derbi of strategy to isolate all of the GCC guys, in a hand to hand battle contador should have the aces.

rain dogs
07-12-2014, 02:34 PM
Said in iterview 550 at the base, 400 up the climb.......he is and has been trying to make a point for a long time disclosing numbers.I guess you didn't hear the interview? That was exactly his point.

I saw the interview and my point is it's not disclosing numbers. And the "I won the Vuelta with those numbers..." line contradicts his point and is misleading.

It's either a throw away conversational line for some interest on tv (most likely) or it's downplaying the exceptional nature of the previous achievement. (slightly changing people's impressions). Lance did a lot of this especially downplaying his competition (Olano, Sastre, Vandevelde etc.) to make it seem "easy" or like he wouldn't need assistance.

I'm not saying Chris is being dishonest. I just think his numbers in that context mean next to nothing.

You and I and he and everyone who has ridden a road bike and paid even the slightest bit of attention to performance knows that:

A. Starting at 550W and averaging 400W up a 1.8km climb at 10%avg on the first day of climbing.

is worlds apart from

B. The same numbers up Angliru at 12.5km and 10%avg after two weeks of climbing.

"I won the Vuelta with those numbers" is misleading. It's like comparing a 2km prologue or a sprint to a 60km TT.

soulspinner
07-12-2014, 02:47 PM
I guess you didn't hear the interview? That was exactly his point. He said he hit almost 600 watts (okay 550) for a little while, then held 400+ watts. In the Giro, he was climbing at 400 watts average. But his point was that everyone does well on the first few climbs. There are 2 weeks left. Let's see what everyone does.

This

Waldo
07-12-2014, 07:24 PM
If Richie Porte wins this Tour, does Brailsford leave Froome off the Tour team in 2015?

jlwdm
07-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Rain dogs, -1.

Jeff

tiretrax
07-12-2014, 07:44 PM
If Richie Porte wins this Tour, does Brailsford leave Froome off the Tour team in 2015?

Porte was interviewed over the winter and said he could wint a grand tour. Why such a surprise that he's a contendor?

Waldo
07-12-2014, 08:17 PM
I know he's very good and is a solid podium contender, at least. The question was a tongue in cheek inquiry about Sky team dynamics.

bikinchris
07-12-2014, 09:49 PM
I know he's very good and is a solid podium contender, at least. The question was a tongue in cheek inquiry about Sky team dynamics.

That's what I got out of that. Why have Froome if Porte can do it? They didn't want Wiggins...

CunegoFan
07-12-2014, 10:22 PM
That's what I got out of that. Why have Froome if Porte can do it?

Sky is essentially the British national team and Froome is ostensibly British...even though he was born in Kenya, grew up in South Africa, and lives in Monaco.