PDA

View Full Version : Water Bottle Cage Mounts on Ti - Problem

ctcyclistbob
07-11-2014, 06:08 PM
I have a Legend Ti, about 10 years old, and when I try to remove the bottle cage bolts to install a 2nd cage, the bolts just keep spinning.

Is there an insert in there? If so it seems as if the bolt is frozen in the insert, and that broke off and is spinning. The only other possibility is that the threads are stripped though there is some binding. This is true of both bolts.

I installed a 2nd cage a year ago for the same charity ride I am doing tomorrow, but then removed it. It was wet last year so maybe moisture got in there.

Long term I'll get this fixed properly, but is there anything I can do short term to get the cage mounted, even temporarily?

Thanks for your thoughts.

thwart
07-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Had that problem awhile back.

A quick and dirty fix: I was able to grab the (aluminum) insert the bolt threads into with a small Vice-grip, hold it in place, and spin the bolt free. Think I used some lubricant/pipe-break stuff beforehand.

Then a little epoxy worked until I could arrange for a new insert to be installed.

rePhil
07-11-2014, 07:07 PM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/video/ask-a-mechanic-repairing-loose-rivnuts_302588

ctcyclistbob
07-11-2014, 08:40 PM
Had that problem awhile back.

A quick and dirty fix: I was able to grab the (aluminum) insert the bolt threads into with a small Vice-grip, hold it in place, and spin the bolt free. Think I used some lubricant/pipe-break stuff beforehand.

Then a little epoxy worked until I could arrange for a new insert to be installed.

Thanks thwart; that did the trick and I'm all set for now.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/video/ask-a-mechanic-repairing-loose-rivnuts_302588

Thanks for the link rePhil; that's helpful and hopefully a long term solution.

thwart
07-11-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks thwart; that did the trick and I'm all set for now.

No problem. Good luck on the ride tomorrow.

Yeah, that video had a great repair tip.

oldpotatoe
07-12-2014, 08:31 AM
I have a Legend Ti, about 10 years old, and when I try to remove the bottle cage bolts to install a 2nd cage, the bolts just keep spinning.

Is there an insert in there? If so it seems as if the bolt is frozen in the insert, and that broke off and is spinning. The only other possibility is that the threads are stripped though there is some binding. This is true of both bolts.

I installed a 2nd cage a year ago for the same charity ride I am doing tomorrow, but then removed it. It was wet last year so maybe moisture got in there.

Long term I'll get this fixed properly, but is there anything I can do short term to get the cage mounted, even temporarily?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Riv Nuts..they come loose. A decent bike shop 'should' have the tool to either tighten the ones on there or replace them. Poor way to have bottle bosses installed.... done to save $ in almost all cases.

The correct way