PDA

View Full Version : Veloflex versus Vittoria tires

velotel
07-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Anyone have personal experience with comparable tires from the two companies, specifically Pavés versus whatever the equivalent from Veloflex is. Don't know why but the Pavés are hard to find at the moment whereas Veloflex are easy to find. Also way cheaper.
Thanks

malcolm
07-11-2014, 12:14 PM
I rode veloflex carbon tubulars for a while and though they were pretty good as in very nice ride and no problems.

sfscott
07-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Great experience with Veloflex Arenberg tubulars. 25mm.

Drmojo
07-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Veloflex pave clinchers are great--smooth ride, like tubs
Only last about 1000 k

StephenCL
07-11-2014, 12:26 PM
I love both, but I only ride tubulars, and I can tell you that veloflex are very consistent, excllent riding, easy to mount, tubulars. They are the very best for the money. Carbon's are great racing tire and I train every day on Arenberg's filled with Stan's...

Stephen

marciero
07-11-2014, 01:10 PM
They are comparable. People who started Veloflex were formerly with Vittoria. It may be that Veloflex are made in Italy in the old facility that Vittoria were made in-something like that, not sure. I believe that Veloflex are still handmade. Not sure Vittoria
Rode Veloflex for years. I mostly ride fatter tires these days, but I just built up an old aluminum race bike with a set. The ride is fantastic. As was pointed out, Veloflex wear out really fast. Not sure about wear on Vittoria as I have way fewer miles on these, but they are probably similar.

Another consideration is sizing. I found the Veloflex 25 to be no larger, and maybe smaller, than some 23 mm tires. In fact it's not noticeably bigger than their 22 tire. The Vittoria 25 is more of an actual 25 tire.

Lionel
07-11-2014, 01:34 PM
properly aged veloflex do not wear fast at all, it's minimum 3000km on the rear but more 4000km. The front lasts at least twice that.

They are rounder that the vittoria and hav no valve bump.

Best tubular for the money.

bobswire
07-11-2014, 01:39 PM
knowing the kind of rides you post I think you'll be very happy with Veloflex. I only switched to a heavier duty tire (Vittoria Rubino Pro and or Tech) because of the roads I ride here in S.F.
If the Rubino pro Tech in 28 will fit your frame,worth a try. I use them pretty much all the time now. All my routes require a fair bit of climbs and descends, these track surprisingly well ( I measure them to be 26+mm not 28mm).

El Chaba
07-11-2014, 01:57 PM
properly aged veloflex do not wear fast at all, it's minimum 3000km on the rear but more 4000km. The front lasts at least twice that.

They are rounder that the vittoria and hav no valve bump.

Best tubular for the money.

Agree 100%...I'll go further....Veloflex makes a limited range of tubulars....but if they make it, it's the best tubular in it's category. FMB gets a lot of press for the tires they make for the cobbled races, etc....but it is really eye opening how many Veloflex tires are being used in the Tour de France right now in either undisquised or re-branded form.

ceolwulf
07-11-2014, 02:34 PM
properly aged veloflex

What is considered proper aging for these?

I'm considering tubulars for my next wheelset but have very limited experience with them.

Lionel
07-11-2014, 02:35 PM

I'm considering tubulars for my next wheelset but have very limited experience with them.

6 to 12 months

christian
07-11-2014, 05:55 PM

20 minutes. They're fine to ride immediately.

flydhest
07-11-2014, 08:20 PM
20 minutes. They're fine to ride immediately.

+1

blessthismess
07-11-2014, 09:51 PM
6 to 12 months

So I have heard talk of "aging" Veloflex's before, what exactly does this mean and is there a "proper" way to age them. I ask because I recently bought a set for a project but due to a recent crash I the project has been pushed back 'til the end of summer. They are now just sitting in a drawer still packaged l, should I be mounting them? Opening and hanging them? Just let them sit how they are now? I figure if they are just gonna be sitting there I might as well give aging a try.

Lionel
07-11-2014, 11:03 PM
So I have heard talk of "aging" Veloflex's before, what exactly does this mean and is there a "proper" way to age them. I ask because I recently bought a set for a project but due to a recent crash I the project has been pushed back 'til the end of summer. They are now just sitting in a drawer still packaged l, should I be mounting them? Opening and hanging them? Just let them sit how they are now? I figure if they are just gonna be sitting there I might as well give aging a try.

You can leave them hanging away from UV or you can put them on old rims. I just hang mines in wheel bags. For people who say you can ride them right away, yes you can. But the rubber is much softer when they are new. Aging him dries the rubber they last MUCH longer this way and also flat less. Been riding veloflex only for 10+ years, aging makes a big difference. I buy mine in bulk and always reach for the oldest one first, just put one one from 2012.

velotel
07-12-2014, 12:18 AM
Thanks for all the useful responses, much appreciated.

fogrider
07-12-2014, 01:11 AM
They are comparable. People who started Veloflex were formerly with Vittoria. It may be that Veloflex are made in Italy in the old facility that Vittoria were made in-something like that, not sure. I believe that Veloflex are still handmade. Not sure Vittoria.

This. Look on the label, all the production of vittoria tires have been moved to Thailand years ago. the workers were laid off. They got together and started veloflex and hand make the tires in the same factory.

weehastogopee
07-12-2014, 01:46 AM
do their clinchers perform as well as their tubulars?

thirdgenbird
07-12-2014, 02:01 AM
do their clinchers perform as well as their tubulars?

I can't compare tubular to clincher, but as far as feel and rolling resistance go, veloflex clinchers are my favorite tire.

marciero
07-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Am intrigued by the aging process. Had not heard of that. Will definitely try it. If it is for the rubber, then would be the same benefit for clinchers as tubulars (I use clinchers). Really wish they would make a slightly wider tire, even 28. Am using the recently-offered 25 on one bike, and I mentioned the width seems like 23, though I did not measure.

marciero
07-12-2014, 07:05 AM
On the other hand, I dont chose Veloflex for longevity. How does aging affect the ride? If the rubber is softer new, perhaps they ride better, or at least different? Maybe you could not tell. The front tire on the bike I just built up feel great, and were pulled out of a box-probably 2 years old and worn slightly.

oldpotatoe
07-12-2014, 08:22 AM
This. Look on the label, all the production of vittoria tires have been moved to Thailand years ago. the workers were laid off. They got together and started veloflex and hand make the tires in the same factory.

Very true and the Veloflex website says that loud and clear BUT the Vittoria factory is a very modern factory that retains the hand-made-ed -ness.
When a shop owner, I looked at Vittoria, Veloflex(when imported by Oschsner), Clement and Challenge. Clement didn't have the range or availability(looking at clincher and tubular), neither did Challenge and some of their tire 'issues' swayed me against them. Veloflex were very nice but yeegads..wholesale $ the same as retail of Vittoria..$130 for a road tubular was a 'little steep'..Saw the issue with selling big buck tubulars with FMB and Dugast.

Veloflex Nice tires but with a really good outside rep, full range of clincher, tubular, cross tires, tubes, always great availability, AND great tires for the $, I stayed with Vittoria(and Continental)...

Even at the darlings of Wiggle, some Veloflex are $90+.

I use Vittoria, Corsa Elite 25c tubie...and Clincher Pave on my wet weather bike...they work well, they are durable, they don't cost an arm/leg..

IMHO

kurto
07-12-2014, 08:53 AM
I can't compare tubular to clincher, but as far as feel and rolling resistance go, veloflex clinchers are my favorite tire.

I agree with this. Flat out, Veloflex are, IMO, the best clinchers you can get.

velotel
07-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Kind of amazed at seeing those prices mentioned. Here I can buy a pair of 700x25 Veloflex for around 30$ (22 euros), Vittoria Pave for around 40$ (32 euros), if anyone had them in stock that is for the Pave. Sounds like the importer into the states wants to make a lot of money.

thirdgenbird
07-12-2014, 10:21 AM
I agree with this. Flat out, Veloflex are, IMO, the best clinchers you can get.

They don't suffer from the price issues as the tubulars either. $40-50 will buy you a master.

Lionel
07-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Kind of amazed at seeing those prices mentioned. Here I can buy a pair of 700x25 Veloflex for around 30$ (22 euros), Vittoria Pave for around 40$ (32 euros), if anyone had them in stock that is for the Pave. Sounds like the importer into the states wants to make a lot of money.

we are talking tubular. 22 euros gets you a veloflex clincher. The cheapest carbon tubular online is around 59 euros these days.

oldpotatoe
07-12-2014, 11:19 AM
we are talking tubular. 22 euros gets you a veloflex clincher. The cheapest carbon tubular online is around 59 euros these days.

And like ohh so much European and online..about what a US retailer pays wholesale.

Lionel
07-12-2014, 11:32 AM
And like ohh so much European and online..about what a US retailer pays wholesale.
whatever, anyone in the US can get it at that price.

oldpotatoe
07-12-2014, 11:35 AM
whatever, anyone in the US can get it at that price.

yep, even US bike shops.

ultratoad
07-12-2014, 02:47 PM
I am Veloflex all the way in tubulars and clinchers.... Great feel, traction, quality control and they go much longer than others before cracking....

Vonruden
07-12-2014, 03:24 PM
+1 on the Veloflex, I like the Challenge Strada's as well.

blessthismess
07-12-2014, 03:28 PM
You can leave them hanging away from UV or you can put them on old rims. I just hang mines in wheel bags. For people who say you can ride them right away, yes you can. But the rubber is much softer when they are new. Aging him dries the rubber they last MUCH longer this way and also flat less. Been riding veloflex only for 10+ years, aging makes a big difference. I buy mine in bulk and always reach for the oldest one first, just put one one from 2012.

Right on thanks for the info Lionel. I'll throw 'em on a spare wheel set in the closet until I can finish the build. Cheers :beer:

happycampyer
07-12-2014, 03:43 PM
Just get the Arenbergs.

velotel
07-12-2014, 04:41 PM
After all these accolades for Veloflex, guess I'll order a pair of 700x25 Masters, clinchers, just to find out for myself what they're like. Too bad they don't make them in a 27; I'd be all over that in an instant. Rather like the idea of buying handmade tires from Italy that cost less than the Vittoria tires made in Thailand. Thanks again for all the comments on the tires.

Lionel
07-12-2014, 10:58 PM
After all these accolades for Veloflex, guess I'll order a pair of 700x25 Masters, clinchers, just to find out for myself what they're like. Too bad they don't make them in a 27; I'd be all over that in an instant. Rather like the idea of buying handmade tires from Italy that cost less than the Vittoria tires made in Thailand. Thanks again for all the comments on the tires.

27 would be nice indeed. BTW the 25 clinchers are more 23 to 24.

Duende
07-13-2014, 02:33 AM
I use both the Vittoria Open Corsa 320 TPI (commuter) and Veloflexes 25mm (road bike).

I find the rubber of the Vittorias to be a tad harder and they do seem to last longer. But they aren't the best on wet roads imo.

The Veloflex are softer and grip better. Which makes the ride a bit nicer but they also get chewed up easier by road debris.

I can't really say that I've noticed that one rides "faster". But I do prefer Veloflex's.

FWIW, I use latex tubes as I'm a tubular man at heart, but primarily run clinchers. I just don't have the time I once did to prep tubulars, and frankly I think the rim cement that's available today is a PITA to use.

Remember $35 Vittoria Silks and Clementi cement?? Those were the days!

velotel
07-13-2014, 03:51 AM
27 would be nice indeed. BTW the 25 clinchers are more 23 to 24.
I'd seen that someone else mentioned that also. Which means they're just about the same size as the Vittoria Pavés. At 22 euros, might as well check them out while waiting for 27mm Pavés to finally become available. Who knows, maybe Veloflex is working on some fatter tires.

jpritchet74
07-14-2014, 09:23 AM
I have had problems in the past with the tread on Veloflex clinchers separating from the tire casing. It wasn't very confidence inspiring. I have only had great experiences with Vittoria, although I am a Conti man these days.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2014, 09:40 AM
I have had problems in the past with the tread on Veloflex clinchers separating from the tire casing. It wasn't very confidence inspiring. I have only had great experiences with Vittoria, although I am a Conti man these days.

I wonder if the tread is 'cold vulcanized', glued, like FMB and Dugast. Rather than 'hot', chemically attaching like how glue 'melts' rubber with a patch.

Seen more than a few Dugast and FMB tread come off.

07-14-2014, 02:05 PM

It's a glued tread, not a hot vulcanized one. It's not unusual to have a little bit of lift-up along the edges. Just stick it down again. You're on the cusp of real hand-built tires, so this kind of stuff is the norm.

Contis are assembled using heat (vulcanization) basically to fuse the rubber into the casing. Nothing but nothing will ever remove it, but it doesn't do anything for suppleness and you can't do it with many rubbers, including those that often give the best ride and best adhesion. Vittorias have gone the same way for most of their tires. If you want a complete ride-and-forget tire, like one would get on a Honda, go for the Contis. If you don't mind paying attention to your tires, and get the better performance, do try the Veloflexes.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2014, 02:41 PM
It's a glued tread, not a hot vulcanized one. It's not unusual to have a little bit of lift-up along the edges. Just stick it down again. You're on the cusp of real hand-built tires, so this kind of stuff is the norm.

Contis are assembled using heat (vulcanization) basically to fuse the rubber into the casing. Nothing but nothing will ever remove it, but it doesn't do anything for suppleness and you can't do it with many rubbers, including those that often give the best ride and best adhesion. Vittorias have gone the same way for most of their tires. If you want a complete ride-and-forget tire, like one would get on a Honda, go for the Contis. If you don't mind paying attention to your tires, and get the better performance, do try the Veloflexes.

On a whim, I bought 4 Dugast...at $130, they sat for a while, after 18 months I threw 3 of them away with tread coming off. These were never glued, new tires, on the wall, outta the sunlight. For a tire that expensive, or a veloflex, tread coming off is unacceptable, IMHO. Never saw this with the Vittoria Corsa, also hand made, BTW.

And no the supplier wouldn't warranty.

Also BTW, many very high end cars come standard with Conti tires, not just Hondas.

Lionel
07-14-2014, 02:53 PM
vittoria are vulcanized not glued on.

oldpotatoe
07-14-2014, 03:34 PM

Yup

07-14-2014, 11:42 PM

Most are. There are a few specialty Vittorias that are not.

Almost all tires are going this way (vulcanization), mostly because people react like Tater did -- they want the tires to work without a problem, dealers don't want them to deteriorate before they get sold, and so on.

And it's not of much use to compare auto tires to bike tires. With autos, there is huge heat buildup and without vulcanization, the tires would self-destruct. Vulcanization is essential to auto tires. On bike tires, you can accomplish a lot more without vulcanization and that's why you have the specialty makers doing them by hand.

By the way, Dugast in my experience has had intermittent problems with treads peeling. I've also seen ripples in the treads, treads that wavered all over the casing, and so on. It's what it is. These days I know Dugast has some treads that are loved in cyclocross, but for everyone else, they aren't the best choice any longer and haven't been for a while. FMBs seem to have problems as well, but mostly in the smaller diameters -- their track tires are frankly not vaguely competitive with Vittoria Evo Pistas. It's the big fat FMBs that are popular and that make their reputation, and those start with about 27 mm and go up from there. That's a special subset of tires with special needs, plus the larger diameters have shallower arcs, so there is less tendency to pull a tread off a casing. For most purposes, I'd rate Veloflex first. If you want a bigger tire (bigger than 25 mm in an Open, bigger than 27 mm in a tubular0, you have to go somewhere else. Veloflex has a great tire in the Record which works magnificently for track (both the tubular and the open clincher), but for world cup levels, it's mostly the Vittoria Evo Pista. For really heavy duty tires, Veloflex designs are scarce and one may find better answers in the Vittoria Pave or various FMB's, plus minor brands.

estuche
07-15-2014, 02:56 AM
Vittoria tires have my vote!

Roadguy
07-15-2014, 02:04 PM
tan walled vittorias still one of my favorites - never tried veloflex but would love to get my hands on a set

pinoymamba
07-16-2014, 01:07 AM
i run vittoria corsa sc (clincher and tubular) when i race...
i've been too lazy to swap on the conti's on the newly built moots. the ride from the tires are just too nice :banana:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3920/14625539225_4ac84a0bf7_z_d.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2935/14037893900_6c1a2cb0ab_z_d.jpg
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5530/14037890700_a51a275f40_z_d.jpg
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7315/12604604303_8492d90efc_z_d.jpg
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3702/11788885454_aa5180070a_z_d.jpg
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2896/14048161321_77ffd85404_z_d.jpg

oldpotatoe
07-16-2014, 06:54 AM
i run vittoria corsa sc (clincher and tubular) when i race...
i've been too lazy to swap on the conti's on the newly built moots. the ride from the tires are just too nice :banana:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7315/12604604303_8492d90efc_z_d.jpg

Where did you get the Anchor?..not many have the stones to ride an 'Anchor', but I sold them for a while and they are very nice pista frames.

pinoymamba
07-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Where did you get the Anchor?..not many have the stones to ride an 'Anchor', but I sold them for a while and they are very nice pista frames.

from the original owner who brought it from japan. i decided to pull the trigger since it has a threadless fork even though it's 1".

it is a great frame.