PDA

View Full Version : Pricing advice on selling bike

shekie777
07-11-2014, 07:58 AM
I've decided to sell my Trek 5200 OCLV circa 2005 road bike. I purchased it in the summer of 2006 and have babied over the years. It's outfitted with Shimano Ultegra group, compact crank 50/34, 12-25 rear cassette, stock components have been replaced with FSA bar, Easton stem, fizik post.

Also replaced original wheelset with Revolution Wheelworks wheels, bike will also be sold with Michelin Lithium tires, water cages, Cateye wireless computer, Selle Italia saddle and Ultegra SPDR pedals.

Bike has approx. 16,000 miles on it, any idea roughly what this should sell for on Craigslist?

Thanks.

oldpotatoe
07-11-2014, 08:03 AM
I've decided to sell my Trek 5200 OCLV circa 2005 road bike. I purchased it in the summer of 2006 and have babied over the years. It's outfitted with Shimano Ultegra group, compact crank 50/34, 12-25 rear cassette, stock components have been replaced with FSA bar, Easton stem, fizik post.

Also replaced original wheelset with Revolution Wheelworks wheels, bike will also be sold with Michelin Lithium tires, water cages, Cateye wireless computer, Selle Italia saddle and Ultegra SPDR pedals.

Bike has approx. 16,000 miles on it, any idea roughly what this should sell for on Craigslist?

Thanks.

Take what it was new, start at 1/2 of that, in 2005 $..start there, probably go down. Lots of competition out there for new, with 6800, bikes.

ericssonboi
07-11-2014, 08:07 AM
Depends on your market.. i would say $4-500 would be what its worth.
It might be worth more to you than someone buying it.

texbike
07-11-2014, 08:08 AM

Thanks.

I'm not sure what part of the country you're in, but the older 5200s are still somewhat popular around here. A really nice, clean one in a popular size would bring around $700-$800 on our local CL.

christian
07-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Trek 5200 OCLV with 9-speed Ultegra... you should ask $950 and be extremely delighted for any offer over $750.

christian
07-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Mike, sometimes I swear you live inside my head.

PS: Given you live in Austin, do you think there's an additional $50 of value in it because of the Lanceassociation in your locale? :)

texbike
07-11-2014, 08:22 AM
Mike, sometimes I swear you live inside my head.

PS: Given you live in Austin, do you think there's an additional $50 of value in it because of the Lanceassociation in your locale? :)

Christian, you're my cooler, better-looking, faster, and all-around more interesting, long-removed twin. The Schwarzenegger to my DeVito. :)

I think there is added, Lance-associated value here. Even with all of the Armstrong developments of the last couple of years, there is definitely quite a bit of Lance-love here in town. Someone recently painted a likeness of Lance's face on a popular underpass here with the caption "Austin is Dope!". It was pretty funny. However, it only lasted a few days before being painted over. Interestingly none of the graffiti around it was touched.

Oh, and I assumed that the OP's bike has Ultegra 10 on it since he stated that it was a 2005...

christian
07-11-2014, 08:45 AM
Oh, and I assumed that the OP's bike has Ultegra 10 on it since he stated that it was a 2005...Of course, my mistake.

shekie777
07-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'm located in the Boston area, not sure there is a Lance factor either way here.

It's actually a 10 speed, not 9, regardless, the replies give me a good starting point for pricing.

Thanks.

rccardr
07-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Local friend (DC) just sold pretty much the same bike (might be a year or two older) with Rolf wheels for $579.

ultraman6970
07-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Op you have to consider that those frames were built for zillions of units per season, not that is a frame that is super hard to find you know. Condition is everything but between the hard stuff to find probably you have something way too common. Just being honest.

Sometimes is even better just sell them in parts because you might get more money that way. Sure the group will sell fast, the frame and fork who knows, at least here don't see too many trek lovers (just because of uniqueness) but in CL probably will sell.

New those were like 2500 bucks... do your numbers, probably you will get more stripping it and then selling the frame like for 200 to 350 bucks maybe?

flyhippy
07-11-2014, 09:41 AM
I think the others were pretty spot on - ask 900 ish, hope for something north of 700, but be prepared to only end up with 5 or 600 at the end of the day.

FlashUNC
07-11-2014, 09:43 AM
FWIW, I sold a 2000 vintage 5200 with similar mileage a couple years back for $500 complete.

verticaldoug
07-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Christian, you're my cooler, better-looking, faster, and all-around more interesting, long-removed twin. The Schwarzenegger to my DeVito. :).

I'm just vizualizing this. If we keep the ratios the same, if Christian is Schwarzenegger, than as DeVito, you must be Peter Dinklage.

(Althought Dinklage is way cooler than DeVito.)

pardon the thread drift

texbike
07-11-2014, 11:40 AM
I'm just vizualizing this. If we keep the ratios the same, if Christian is Schwarzenegger, than as DeVito, you must be Peter Dinklage.

(Althought Dinklage is way cooler than DeVito.)

pardon the thread drift

Ha! That's funny! PD is fantastic (by far one of my favorite actors in Thrones) but DeVito has a body of work that is practically untouchable. IMO, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is his best!

OK, back on topic - As a timely example, this just popped up on the Austin CL - http://austin.craigslist.org/bik/4563777404.html . A 5200 for $700.

Texbike

malcolm
07-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Op you have to consider that those frames were built for zillions of units per season, not that is a frame that is super hard to find you know. Condition is everything but between the hard stuff to find probably you have something way too common. Just being honest.

Sometimes is even better just sell them in parts because you might get more money that way. Sure the group will sell fast, the frame and fork who knows, at least here don't see too many trek lovers (just because of uniqueness) but in CL probably will sell.

New those were like 2500 bucks... do your numbers, probably you will get more stripping it and then selling the frame like for 200 to 350 bucks maybe?

I would normally agree that parting it out is the way to go for maximum profit but I don't think so in this case. I don't see folks in the market for a used 5200 being the same guys to build up a frameset. Old school steel, more exotic carbon yes middle of the road generic not so much. I think it will be much easier to unload complete. I think the prices are close, hope for 900 and maybe settle for 600 or less.

christian
07-11-2014, 11:54 AM
I would normally agree that parting it out is the way to go for maximum profit but I don't think so in this case. I don't see folks in the market for a used 5200 being the same guys to build up a frameset. Old school steel, more exotic carbon yes middle of the road generic not so much. I think it will be much easier to unload complete. I think the prices are close, hope for 900 and maybe settle for 600 or less.

100% agree. If you try to part it, I think you could end up with a sold Ultegra group netting you $250 and then being stuck with a load of parts.

biker72
07-11-2014, 12:53 PM
The shop where I work has two Postal versions of the 5200 for sale. One is $899 and the other is $999.

Ebay ranges from $500-$1000 in completed listings.

pgrizzwald
07-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Trek 5200 OCLV with 9-speed Ultegra... you should ask $950 and be extremely delighted for any offer over $750.

I agree with this

shekie777
07-11-2014, 01:33 PM
It's a 53cm size, so the market may be a bit more limited than say a 55-57cm. I'll probably start out at $700 and see what response I get (or don't).

Appreciate all the advice.