PDA

View Full Version : saddlebag saggin'

cinema
07-10-2014, 09:01 PM
So the wooden stiffening rod that supports my carradice bag has detached from the metal screw that once held it in place.

has anyone repaired this before? What kind of glue should I use?

http://oi57.tinypic.com/29zotpy.jpg

Peter P.
07-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Glue? Glue what?

Replace the dowel with something from the hardware store.

Using the existing dowel as a template, drill pilot holes for the screws.

Thread the original screws in and you're done.

cinema
07-10-2014, 09:21 PM
That's probably the best way to do it. I was just going to slather it in adhesive goop and hope it held to the screw/canvas/leather. I thought hopefully I could avoid having this happen again, perhaps the adhesive would be a better option if it's a strong bond.

This happened after like 4 months of normal use with a rack supporting the bag.

R2D2
07-11-2014, 08:00 AM
So the wooden stiffening rod that supports my carradice bag has detached from the metal screw that once held it in place.

has anyone repaired this before? What kind of glue should I use?

http://oi57.tinypic.com/29zotpy.jpg

Yes I've performed the very repair.
I bought a new dowel from HD and thru bolted it with a washer.
I post an image in a few.....

I actually used some 6mm rod I had laying around. Chopped and nutted on each side. A bolt works just as well.
MUCH more secure than the screw.

Lewis Moon
07-11-2014, 08:10 AM
saddlebag saggin' sounds like a personal problem that could be addressed by a gym membership...

As a woodworker, I'd suggest that you stay away from hardware store dowels. Usually made of softer wood that won't hold screws well. I suggest you get creative use either some box section aluminum tubing (also found easily at Home Despot) or fashion one from some scrap hardwood like oak. That should hold screws a lot better. Squirt a little wood glue into the pilot hole prior to fastening to stabilize and harden the threads a bit. Through bolting is a better idea, especially if you get the right length bolt and use a cap nut so the bolt won't catch on anything.

R2D2
07-11-2014, 08:14 AM
saddlebag saggin' sounds like a personal problem that could be addressed by a gym membership...

As a woodworker, I'd suggest that you stay away from hardware store dowels. Usually made of softer wood that won't hold screws well. I suggest you get creative use either some box section aluminum tubing (also found easily at Home Despot) or fashion one from some scrap hardwood like oak. That should hold screws a lot better. Squirt a little wood glue into the pilot hole prior to fastening to stabilize and harden the threads a bit.

FWIW I used a maple dowel (oak would be better) and it's worked for a good number of years now.

Lewis Moon
07-11-2014, 08:25 AM
FWIW I used a maple dowel (oak would be better) and it's worked for a good number of years now.

Maple is good, and if it's comes as a dowel, it's probably the better structural stuff and not the super hard stuff. Also cherry, ash (light for it's strength) and mahogany. Lignum Vitae would match the bag, though....