PDA

View Full Version : Something I learned this morning before a LONG ride......

Shortsocks
07-10-2014, 04:40 PM
......Dont eat Extremely Spicy Thai Food the night before a Very Long 100 degree 125 mile ride. Oh man. I got my ASS kicked (There is a Pun there for sure).

I thought After a pre-morning leg ride (last night), just a short 25 miles, that I would celebrate how good I was feeling with a Great dinner. Wife said we were out of Pasta, So she suggested Thai. I decided to Try the Spicy Coconut Thai Soup when the waitress asked me how hot I wanted it I said Thai Hot!! Being that I was still feeling high from the Ride 45 mins before I thought Id go for it.

This food was hot. Forehead was sweating, lips were on fire..Cool I can Handle it.

Fast forward to mile 60 its 100 degrees.....Oh my god. I actually heard my stomach say Im going to kill you, I even asked the guy next to me if he heard anything. I sprinted to an All-sups and I can tell you. It was HORRIBLE! I couldn't figure out how it was burning more on the way out than it did on the way in! I dont know if anyone here has been to an All-sups, but After I got back on the bike, and I felt like I was riding my bike on hot coals, I couldn't stop getting nauseous because I could smell myself. All-sups STINK. I smelled like cigarettes, Fried Eggrolls, Chicken and every-type of nasty high calorie food in the history of crap food. On the top of that I was having the most gut-wrenching and stabbing sensation ever in my colon and stomach.

To make it worse...I had to ride to ANOTHER All-sups and do this all over again. But this time the Bathroom looked like the bathroom from that scene in the movie "Trainspotting" and it had to have been over a 110degrees. That All-Sups had zero air-conditioning. I almost passed out in there with the wafting smells coming out of the inside of the gas station and the sweltering heat of that vietnamese torture toilet.

After 6 more stops and im sure bad dehydration I finished this ride. But this has to be the worst ride Ive ever had. But If I try to sell a "Pre-owned" Pearl Izumi bib short in a small, that has only been used for 125 miles, DONT BUY IT!!!

To make this horrible story even worse. I got a Ticket for running a stop sign that I didn't even know I ran. Probably did, which is my fault, but all I could think about during rest of this horrible ride was how my heart beat had moved from my chest to my anus. :banana:

Sorry for wasting your time...but the entire time I was wondering if ANYONE here has had a similar experience to this before? Or am I the only idiot that has done this?

kmla320
07-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Good to know

distanc3
07-10-2014, 05:10 PM
oh Shortsocks! I bet without the pit stops it may have been your personal best times? :banana:

Thai-hot not even once =P

velotrack
07-10-2014, 05:18 PM
This is definitely a "TIFU" post.

tiretrax
07-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Now, I know why White Rock Lake has some of the highest levels of bacteria in the State!

pavel
07-10-2014, 06:30 PM
sort of related: indian curry is not a great pre-ride breakfast, though very delicious

ptourkin
07-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Yikes!

Interesting thought. However there is a theory that people in hot climates eat spicy peppers because they help cool the body. Maybe you just reacted to unfamiliar food.

I eat Ghost and/or Thai chilies with breakfast (in my congee) every day and have done so for years, without variance for all of the events in a Super Randonneur series, countless doubles, etc.. yet I might crap my pants if I ate a traditional American high fat and sugar meal before a quick session at the track.

I think the lesson is be careful with unfamiliar foods before an unaccustomed effort.

cinema
07-10-2014, 07:07 PM
tmi, but anyway, sounds like food poisoning more than anything else.

ultraman6970
07-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Spicy food burns twice!

Peter P.
07-10-2014, 09:30 PM
Great story and certainly not a waste of my time.

I once rode to my company's picnic. It was to be 140 mile round trip. I get there, have a hot dog and hamburg, chat a bit, and leave.

Well, a lot of things don't agree with me while riding. That day I discovered hot dogs were one of them.

I'm barely a couple miles away from the party and I've got REAL PROBLEMS brewing "down there". I'm eyeballing every business I'm riding by and assessing the availability of a bathroom.

I spy a supermarket-Bingo! I rush to lock the bike up and scoot inside. I ask the first clerk I see, "Where's the men's room?" All the way in the back. I think I'll make it.

I open the door and there's a problem; actually TWO problems.

One is, there's only one toilet.

The other is, this toilet is clogged, and the ahem, brown stuff is damn right near the rim.

I make no apologies and could feel the awful splashing as I let loose. When I was done, there was "no room left at the inn" if you get my drift.

To assuage my guilt, I bought a PowerBar on the way out, and hoped they didn't call the police when they discovered what I'd done.

I was wiped out for the rest of the ride.

rab
07-11-2014, 12:40 AM
Yeah....been there too courtesy of a massive spicy shrimp and broccoli lunch and then a fast, breakaway training type ride with a friend after work. Was good until the last 20 miles, where I felt like I was bonking while my stomach had me convinced I should just crash and stop the madness. It was like the ride just boiled up that lunch in my stomach and turned it into an evil cauldron of liquid hell.

Later that night I had gas that could clear a room. And I can say this confidently because it did in fact clear a room. And later a carload of friends, who likely were considering the value of my friendship at that point. Had to actually convince I was indeed the source as they couldn't believe it, even after having been involved in the prior room clearing incident.
Even my dog bailed out of my room later that night and I can't recall that ever happening.
It took me about six weeks before I ate that dish again, which had been a regular on my work lunch rotation.
Good times...

velotrack
07-11-2014, 02:55 AM
Great story and certainly not a waste of my time.

I once rode to my company's picnic. It was to be 140 mile round trip. I get there, have a hot dog and hamburg, chat a bit, and leave.

Well, a lot of things don't agree with me while riding. That day I discovered hot dogs were one of them.

I'm barely a couple miles away from the party and I've got REAL PROBLEMS brewing "down there". I'm eyeballing every business I'm riding by and assessing the availability of a bathroom.

I spy a supermarket-Bingo! I rush to lock the bike up and scoot inside. I ask the first clerk I see, "Where's the men's room?" All the way in the back. I think I'll make it.

I open the door and there's a problem; actually TWO problems.

One is, there's only one toilet.

The other is, this toilet is clogged, and the ahem, brown stuff is damn right near the rim.

I make no apologies and could feel the awful splashing as I let loose. When I was done, there was "no room left at the inn" if you get my drift.

To assuage my guilt, I bought a PowerBar on the way out, and hoped they didn't call the police when they discovered what I'd done.

I was wiped out for the rest of the ride.

No regrets, of course. It was there or in your bibs.

ShaneAtSilca
07-11-2014, 08:15 AM

Sorry for wasting your time...but the entire time I was wondering if ANYONE here has had a similar experience to this before? Or am I the only idiot that has done this?

I once had the bright idea to eat Thai from a restaurant I frequented (without problems) the night before a CX race.

Only race I have voluntarily removed myself from.

Columbus SLX
07-11-2014, 08:57 AM
But If I try to sell a "Pre-owned" Pearl Izumi bib short in a small, that has only been used for 125 miles, DONT BUY IT!!!

Haha, POTD.

It happens to us all. Few years back we climbed Mt. Mitchell planning to meet our wives for a picnic. I had to ditch in the woods a mile from the summit. 20 minutes later I sheepishly arrived at summit with everyone already there, "oh, feeling fine, ahem, why do you ask?"

downtube
07-11-2014, 09:00 AM
tmi, but anyway, sounds like food poisoning more than anything else.

Yea, thats what I was thinking. Either way a real pain in the ...

zap
07-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Ignoring problems with two's, I learned some time ago that Chinese or Thai food just makes for really poor pre event dinner.