PDA

View Full Version : There's a Reason why Sidi Wires cost 2x Giro Empires

Pushgears
07-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Just received my new Sidi Wires after trying and returning the Giro Empires. There is NO COMPARISON ! The Giros felt like mass-produced Chinese-made POS. The Sidis feel like a finely crafted hand-made Italian shoe. It's easy to lose sight of the shoe and focus on the closure system, but no closure can compensate for a poorly constructed shoe. Try both shoes on without tying the laces or fastening the buckles and you will see what I mean. The Sidis cradle your feet whereas the Giros envelope your feet with loosely fitting uppers. I am convinced 100% that Taylor Phinney did not wear the same Giros available to you and me-no pro would- they had to be custom . Yes the Sidis are expensive, but the Giros are a poor value in comparison. This is my second pair of Sidis and like my Ergo 2s, worth every cent. As for sizing, I wear a US 12 or 12.5, a 47 in the Ergo 2s and 46.5 in the Wires. The Wires seem to have a larger toe box so they feel less narrow. Not crazy about the shiny vernice but beauty is skin deep so look beyond the laces!

cfox
07-10-2014, 12:02 PM
do you work for Sidi? Sidis feel like torture devices on my feet and I don't like that kludgy plastic tab on the inside of the instep. Shoes are pretty subjective.

pdmtong
07-10-2014, 12:06 PM
I covered the wire vs. ergo 2 here (forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=130721)

I also own the giro prolight. its a nice shoe I would be happy with if my only. but the wire just feels nicer all around...money no object the wire hands down

empires? I am long past shoe laces for my road shoes. not interested

AngryScientist
07-10-2014, 12:11 PM
to each their own. sidi's just dont fit my feet anywhere near as well as giro shoes.

aside from the basic fact that they are cycling shoes, the two you compare are really not fair competitors.

Bruce K
07-10-2014, 12:14 PM
The pros that I know who use Giro shoes get the same ones that we buy in shops - nothing special/custom

If they fit your foot they're nice shoes - they don't fit mine

BK

gavingould
07-10-2014, 12:29 PM
great second post, glad you've found some shoes you like.
but, you're saying that pros must get customized shoes because a certain pair didn't fit you well? i'm sure no one gets customized Sidis...

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/contentimages/Zap%20News/2012/Sidi%20Factory/sidi16.jpg

http://www.roadbikeaction.com/contentimages/Zap%20News/2012/Sidi%20Factory/sidi17.jpg

^ these are from the Sidi factory, in an article (http://www.roadbikeaction.com/ARCHIVE-TECH--FEATURES/content/67/6131/Being-There-Sidi-Factory-Tour.html) that mentions "the bulk of manufacturing is done in Romania" but does not specify which models/lines.

i also wear US12-12.5. Sidis fit me terribly, btw, but that's completely irrelevant for how the shoes fit anyone else.
call it exaggeration, misinformation, whatever. this is the same as the old Rapha-bashing with the "it's all made in China" rant.

07-10-2014, 03:09 PM
I don't have a dog in this fight, but what does whether a shoe is well made and fits you have anything to do with whether custom shoes were available to pro riders (who in the photo shown were all 10-25 years ago)?

Most pros have the ability to get a custom shoe made if they need it. So we do we as ... whatever we are.

I'd agree that some shoes seem better made than others, but I honestly wouldn't get euphoric about Sidis or Giros or practically any factory shoe out there today. I've owned and ridden most of them. If a Specialized S-works fits you well, it's light and it's a great shoe. A Fizik R1 is great if it fits you and you ride where the somewhat lower amount of ventilation isn't a problem. An Empire is great if you have top-of-foot or general foot circulatory problems, or use orthotics and need to adjust for the extra height of the orthotic. And on and on. If I look at Riivos, Rocket 7's, and so on, the construction and detail is OK but is it better than a Specialized S-works? Only if it fits better.

Some riders like ultra smooth, ultralight shoes, like the Northwave and Specialized ultralight models. Others want more substance, like in the Fizik R1. Others want the color options in a Sidi, or the slightly different sole shape that Sidis tend to have. Really? Are we picking shoes for the prom and everyone has to look alike? Enjoy whatever you get. If you grew up in Detto Pietros, you knew shoes that came apart in the rain, had no sole rigidity at all, and didn't fit worth beans. Anything today is a big leap forward.

bikser
07-10-2014, 04:15 PM
I wholeheartedly agree on Sidi quality, but sometimes you have to go with what fits. I've used Sidi's for years, they fit pretty good, better than most shoes, but never quite right. Recently changed over to the new Shimano's, nice quality for an Asian factory shoe, but the fit for my foot is sublime. I had no idea performance shoe could fit me with slipper like comfort.

jimoots
07-10-2014, 06:58 PM
I have a pair of Rapha shoes (made by Giro) and they fit amazing. Never tried Sidis.

Didn't pay anything near RRP so don't judge me.

But glad I came across this thread. I would like a second pair of shoes and was going to buy Sidi. Will get another pair of Giro's (not Empires, not the Rapha ones either) instead.\

Edit: scratch that. I just checked out the Giro shoe lineup and am a little bit underwhelmed. But that's more about aesthetic than quality or fit.

Climb01742
07-10-2014, 07:13 PM
I covered the wire vs. ergo 2 here (forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=130721)

I also own the giro prolight. its a nice shoe I would be happy with if my only. but the wire just feels nicer all around...money no object the wire hands down

empires? I am long past shoe laces for my road shoes. not interested

So the Specialized foot beds do fit well inside the Sidi Wire? They don't eat up volume? I have a 3yo pair of S works shoes that I like very much. However, the boa closures aren't aging well. I'd like to explore options. Thx!

pdmtong
07-10-2014, 07:33 PM
So the Specialized foot beds do fit well inside the Sidi Wire? They don't eat up volume? I have a 3yo pair of S works shoes that I like very much. However, the boa closures aren't aging well. I'd like to explore options. Thx!

sorry, I never tried the specialized foot bed inside the wire. I have been using a no name bed with an arch that I like a lot.

Mikej
07-10-2014, 08:35 PM

I feel the sidi wires have a bit more front box toes room. I'm rollng some drakos that feel a bit roomy in the toe as well, so I think it's an overal fitting change. Don't know if non wire Sidi's have this roomier fit. I too feel Sidi is the top of the chart for cycling shoes. I've had sidi dragons and 6.6 that didn't need replacing after 5+ years, but the newer Sidi's are so nice looking IMO.

avalonracing
07-10-2014, 08:48 PM
To each his own. I've always been astounded that Sidi fit me as well as they do (in the normal widths) as it seems that most people I know have fat feet or flat feet and they all happily wear Sidis.

If Sidi made casual or dress shoes I would buy them in a second!

Charles M
07-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Giro's match my foot shape reasonably well, but they're not made as well as Sidi's wires (or the last version Ergo)... The fit and finish are more like a mid level Sidi shoe. I actually think the new Northwave are nicer as well. Even the newer Gaerne have a nicer last and sole... And at this point all of these might trail the latest edition Lake CX 402.

Of all of these I think Giro are lagging a bit. BUT they're gaining ground every time they make a shoe.

Helmet wise I'm a huge fan of Giro.

zap
07-11-2014, 09:45 AM

The Spec footbeds fit well in my Wire's. When I purchased mine in April I purchased new Spec footbed. Unfortunately the new footbed wreaked havoc on my feet so I ended up using an older Spec footbed (with less aggressive arch support) that I had in my Ergo 1's.

Pushgears
07-11-2014, 11:46 AM
I don't work for Sidi and have no special allegiance to them. The point that I was trying to make is that their construction is superior to Giro. How they fit is another topic and as others pointed out, highly subjective. I'm fortunate to achieve a good fit with the Wires, but if any of my LBSs stocked shoes in a variety of sizes and makes who knows- I might be wearing Specialized, Shimano, or Bonts. Shoes are so tough to buy - it seems one has to be willing to mail order hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth to sample several pair. I laid out 1G (insane!) for 2 pair of Wires and returned one pair the next day - hoping that both won't appear on my cc statement this month. How do you buy your bike shoes?

pgrizzwald
07-11-2014, 01:27 PM
My Giro Prolights fit perfectly and I've never had any discomfort with them. The different sized arch support inserts make a big difference. To each their own...

Uncle Jam's Army
07-11-2014, 01:33 PM
I don't work for Sidi and have no special allegiance to them. The point that I was trying to make is that their construction is superior to Giro. How they fit is another topic and as others pointed out, highly subjective. I'm fortunate to achieve a good fit with the Wires, but if any of my LBSs stocked shoes in a variety of sizes and makes who knows- I might be wearing Specialized, Shimano, or Bonts. Shoes are so tough to buy - it seems one has to be willing to mail order hundreds if not thousands of dollars worth to sample several pair. I laid out 1G (insane!) for 2 pair of Wires and returned one pair the next day - hoping that both won't appear on my cc statement this month. How do you buy your bike shoes?

If you paid $500 for the Wires you paid too much. You can routinely find them at least 25% off retail. But I agree with you about the construction quality being top notch on the Sidis.

Mikej
07-11-2014, 02:16 PM
If you paid $500 for the Wires you paid too much. You can routinely find them at least 25% off retail. But I agree with you about the construction quality being top notch on the Sidis.

Sounds good - where are the at least 25% off sidi wires? Beside jolly ole England?

Grant McLean
07-11-2014, 04:41 PM
I laid out 1G (insane!) for 2 pair of Wires and returned one pair the next day - hoping that both won't appear on my cc statement this month. How do you buy your bike shoes?

I order Shimano custom fit shoes online, found 2 pair for $99 each,
my LBS guy does the molding with my custom insoles. Stock shoe?
never again.

-g

Uncle Jam's Army
07-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Sounds good - where are the at least 25% off sidi wires? Beside jolly ole England?

BikeTiresDirect.com. You just have to wait 3-4 weeks and they always have sales popping up. Plus, you get 10% back in award points.

Roadguy
07-15-2014, 02:15 PM
I love my s-works shoes but the sidis do seem to have the italian construction thing down pat - aka the finish is beautiful, only tried them on, never worn them riding