PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any opinons on a LOOK 585

sirroada
02-24-2006, 09:24 PM
I am considering a carbon fiber bike...possibly a Look. My LBS has a 585 but I wanted to get the forums opinion on that frame before I bothered to take the time to ride it. So feel free to give me your opinions on the Look 585 frame. (I know this is a great opportunity to tell me to buy a Ti bike but I already have a Legend Ti :D !!

vaxn8r
02-24-2006, 11:58 PM
I think they are way cool and I'd love to own one....but if it came down to really having the dough I'm not sure it would make #1 (still thinking about Vanilla and Spectrum). I've never ridden one; just drooled a bit over several I've seen in various shops.

Here's another plug for your LBS. I've seen pics of the Look 585 and no big deal. In person this is a very sexy frameset.

1centaur
02-25-2006, 08:29 AM
A European cycling mag last year did a shootout of something like 13 "super bikes" (I wish I could find my copy; I think they were all CF) and the 585 won as the best all-rounder. The Scott CR1 was second because it was such a great climber.

Reviews otherwise are very good - read competitivecyclist.com's descriptive verbiage for a flavor. I have one incoming very shortly - I like the mixing of a light frame and Look's traditional focus on comfort, which used to mean very heavy CF frames. And frankly, I really like the Credit Agricole paint scheme. I like how the CA riders keep getting in breakaways at the ToC so it's easy to look at the bike.

BTW - The new Bicycling mag (Buyer's Guide) actually has a mini MeiVici review, and they liked it :)

zipp 69
02-25-2006, 05:49 PM
I just picked up my LOOK 585 last week and after riding it I have to admitt it is fast and it stops that road buzz. I have a Serotta Legend with all Record parts and Ksyrium wheels the 585 has a mix of Chorus and Record with Easton carbon stem, bars, seat tube and Keo pedals and my wheels from the Serotta. It is almost a pound and a half lighter.

The bike is carbon black and the graphics are stunning. The frame has a really stiff bottom bracket and makes for one super bike for sprinting. I like the way they attached a cable guide on the head tube to keep the cables from rubbing.

This is my first carbon bike and I was considering a C50 but for 1,400 bucks less hey...... I think I will be really pleased ! I can't wait for warm weather.

ENJOY THE RIDE

Jerry

Litespeeder
02-26-2006, 07:39 PM
The Look 585 is obviously a winner and it's certainly going to make you feel fast compared to your legend ti. But try the Parlee carbon frames before you decide. Parlee frames are really special and they ride like a dream. Don't take my word for it. Test ride one for yourself and you will know what I am talking about.

:bike:

jeffg
02-27-2006, 11:06 AM
The Look 585 is obviously a winner and it's certainly going to make you feel fast compared to your legend ti. But try the Parlee carbon frames before you decide. Parlee frames are really special and they ride like a dream. Don't take my word for it. Test ride one for yourself and you will know what I am talking about.

:bike:

Agreed regarding Parlee. I have a Hampsten/Parlee and love it; however, my custom Z1 frame was about $2800 in late 2003-. It is something on the order of $4500 now, and I could buy a 585 with Record for that here in Europe.

So, we are really talking very different price classes here. I personally think a Parlee (or a Meivici) makes a custom Legend look like a real good investment ... My Parlee doesn't make me feel faster than my Legend, even though it sure is a bit lighter.

Lanternrouge
02-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Agreed regarding Parlee. I have a Hampsten/Parlee and love it; however, my custom Z1 frame was about $2800 in late 2003-. It is something on the order of $4500 now, and I could buy a 585 with Record for that here in Europe.

So, we are really talking very different price classes here. I personally think a Parlee (or a Meivici) makes a custom Legend look like a real good investment ... My Parlee doesn't make me feel faster than my Legend, even though it sure is a bit lighter.

The Parlee Z3, and I believe Z2 as well, retail for $3250 with an Ouzo Pro fork and CK headset, putting them in the same price range as the 585. I have a Z3 and it's the best bike I've ever had. Of course, I really wish I also had a Meivici and a 585 in addition so I could give a more informed opinion.

Climb01742
02-28-2006, 04:06 AM
The Parlee Z3, and I believe Z2 as well, retail for $3250 with an Ouzo Pro fork and CK headset, putting them in the same price range as the 585. I have a Z3 and it's the best bike I've ever had. Of course, I really wish I also had a Meivici and a 585 in addition so I could give a more informed opinion.

agree that parlees are very special. however, you can get a look today. parlees require a long flexible patient timeframe. worth the wait, IMO, but the wait doesn't fit everyone's plans.

vaxn8r
02-28-2006, 09:58 AM
... Of course, I really wish I also had a Meivici and a 585 in addition so I could give a more informed opinion.
Me too...

Frustration
02-28-2006, 10:05 AM
Having been on the Meivici, two Parlee and having a 585 (as well as a c-50, Ottrot, Eluim Race, Scott CR-1, Kestrel Evoke, Kuota Kharma and Khan and Cervelo Soloist Carbon and 2.5) I can say the 585 is a GREAT bike relative to anyone elses best.

They could make it in a few more sizes, as ballance and ride wise fit could change your experience a bit, but if the geometry is right for you, the 585 is one of the best 3-4 production bikes available right now.