Salsa Pro Bars
Stella Azura Mag (thanks Senor')
AlphaQ
Salsa Flip Offs
Phil Wood SS BB
Suntour XC Seatpost
Some dirt

Real Deal. No BS setup. No stupid parts. It weighs 20.89
This is not another "how light is your bike thread".
This is what I ride.

Argos
02-24-2006, 07:34 PM
I can ride that bike from INSIDE your main triangle! Keep that in mind when I tell you my bike is 4 lbs (almost 5lbs) lighter. Also, like you said, it's how I ride it. No stupid (I think) parts. People gotta keep in mind how much size matters. :rolleyes:
You know what I mean! :beer:

Nice wheels.

Smiley
02-24-2006, 07:39 PM
That frame had super beefed up tubes , the seat collar junction alone weighs probably a quarter pound .

ergott
02-24-2006, 07:44 PM
15.9lbs and climbing. Getting a new set of uberwheels. Different priorities, different parts list.

Argos
02-24-2006, 07:50 PM
15.9lbs and climbing. Getting a new set of uberwheels. Different priorities, different parts list.

Huh? You mean for climbiing or your building up for your flat-land-ish-ness and not caring about the weight? (which, by the way, makes good sense)

Did you hear about Mr. B's "Project Scary Light"? He's keeping it Top Secret, but he has been bored so he's building up a lightweight.

ergott
02-24-2006, 07:58 PM
Huh? You mean for climbiing or your building up for your flat-land-ish-ness and not caring about the weight? (which, by the way, makes good sense)

Did you hear about Mr. B's "Project Scary Light"? He's keeping it Top Secret, but he has been bored so he's building up a lightweight.

I know about the project I, if that's what you mean. The next wheels are going for the ability to withstand a nuclear fallout. Just in time for a nuke to be smuggled into one of our ports by their new owners :p

Argos
02-24-2006, 08:00 PM
I know about the project I, if that's what you mean. The next wheels are going for the ability to withstand a nuclear fallout. Just in time for a nuke to be smuggled into one of our ports by their new owners :p

Ok, lemme guess.... 404 pave's. 28h front. 32h Rear. WI hubs? Spill it.

Ooooooooo.... No no no. I got it 32hole cxp 33. 32h f/r King hubs... No. You wouldn't do that. I'll stick to my first guess.

jerk
02-24-2006, 08:07 PM
the pegoretti weighs a bit under 19 pounds with pedals and its american classic 420 wheels, new ax-lightness saddle and a newton bar and stem. its light enough.

jerk

ergott
02-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Ok, lemme guess.... 404 pave's. 28h front. 32h Rear. WI hubs? Spill it.

Ooooooooo.... No no no. I got it 32hole cxp 33. 32h f/r King hubs... No. You wouldn't do that. I'll stick to my first guess.

Not even in the same ballpark.

Tony Edwards
02-24-2006, 08:15 PM
My main bike is a 61.5cm Moots VaMoots with Look HSC3, King HS, Moots stem, Kestrel bar, full 2003 (aluminum) 10-speed Chorus gruppo with Record cranks and Chorus hubs laced to Mavic Open Pros with Vredestein Fortezzas, Chorus ti post, Flite saddle, Dura Ace Lance pedals and Tacx Tao cages. 18.5 pounds ready to ride.

My backup bike is a Reynolds 531 Woodrup with 8-speed Chorus - it weighs around 22 pounds.

sg8357
02-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Bah, I got you all beat, Crescent Pepita, 29.5lb, of road hugging weight.
60cm, dual Lumotec lights, Bagman & Carradice Barley, Brooks B17 on
a Chinese pig iron seatpost, lots of tools, luggage straps, spare tubes,
and room for a Sunday Times. I do have a D/A rear hub for weight savings.

Scott G.

mflaherty37
02-24-2006, 09:46 PM
I have a 60cm C5S Csi with mostly record, Neutrons, Ouzo Pro, Keo Carbon, & every thing light but the frame - 19.5lbs. Not that I care.

dave thompson
02-24-2006, 10:09 PM
.................My backup bike is a Reynolds 531 Woodrup with 8-speed Chorus - it weighs around 22 pounds.
You still have the Woodrup? A very nice ride!

bigbill
02-24-2006, 10:41 PM
Soma Smoothie ES with SKS fenders, Avenir rack and bag, NR HID headlight and tail light with water bottle battery, nine speed chorus, tektro brakes, salsa/ultegra 32H wheelset, 28mm armadillo tires with 28/38mm tubes, thomson stem and salsa bars, and a bell with a compass. 31.5 pounds. I gotta get a lighter bell.

Pegoretti Fina with old 10 speed Record with an open pro wheelset. 18.5 pounds.

both frames are 60cm.

Lifelover
02-24-2006, 11:43 PM
A Ti bike
A CF bike
and A steel bike.

I don't have a clue what any of them weight. Quite sure that all them are well under 10% of the combined rider/bike weight. Thus relatively meaningless.

shinomaster
02-25-2006, 01:08 AM
Caad 4
muscle fork
record/chorus paats (parts)(Boston accent).
NEutrons
flight saddle
solido stem
215 deda bars
thompson post
blah...tires, etc..
17.6lbs

dsimon
02-25-2006, 01:26 AM
well between my CSI and my legend ti no true scale but my higly calibrated arm i would say that both weigh roughly between 19-20.5 not much difference between the ti and steel like i thought that it would be :cool:

slowgoing
02-25-2006, 02:36 AM
my Santa Cruz Superlight weighs about 27 pounds.

Ray
02-25-2006, 06:17 AM
Spectrum ti with Aliante, Mike Garcia wheels, and generally lightish parts is about 17.5 (these are bathroom scale measurements - only good to 1/2 pound and suspect even at that).

The old steel Bianchi built as a minimalist fixie is right about 17.5-18 also.

Rambouillet with Brooks and fenders and OP/Ultegra wheelset is about 23.

Riv Road anywhere between about 20.5 up to about 22.5, depending on saddle, wheels, whether I have fenders or not.

I think the Brompton is about 23-24, but it only matters when I'm carrying it folded. People buy ti Bromptons for the carry weight, not the riding weight. I don't buy ti Bromptons.

These weights are all with bottle cages and pedals but generally not with the seatbag, pump, or water bottles on board. Those all obviously add weight but it varies so much as to make any measurements meaningless - not that they have meaning to begin with.

-Ray

davids
02-25-2006, 06:51 AM
My Nove's light, lighter than my Steel Axiom. But that's not what makes it a better riding bike.

I'm sort of curious to know how much my various bikes weigh. But not enough to do anything about it.

stevep
02-25-2006, 06:57 AM
time vxr w/ da-10 and time pedals... mismatched regular 32 hole wheels..
concor lite saddle... 16.5 lbs...
nothing put on to save weight...just regular decent stuff.
too good for me and plenty light.

Mud
02-25-2006, 07:10 AM
My Legend ST(56cm) weighs 17.9 with a Brooks B 17N, Dura Ace, aluminum bars and stem, wheels are AC hubs laced to Sun Tubular rims, Conti Sprinter tires, Eggbeaters, Cages, HRM, Barbieri Carb One pump.

Wife's Ottrot is 15.9 with Campy Record, Brooks Finess Ti saddle, Ergott Wheels, Bold Precision skewers, EggBeaters, Cages, Thomson seatpost, Salsa bars, (waiting for custom from Albert Bold to be able to get better seat adjustment and it sb a lot lighter).

dirtdigger88
02-25-2006, 08:21 AM
my fixie is 22lbs- with a small tool pouch rolled under the seat-

the kirk- 24 lbs with fenders and bags- 26 with tools in said bags-

both bikes are light enough for me

Jason

David Kirk
02-25-2006, 08:31 AM
61 x 61 lugged steel
lugged steel fork
Paris Roubaix 28H tubulars
Mavic Mektronic
Zinn (boat anchor) cranks
Ritchey stem and post
carbon fiber stem spacer (very high tech)

19lbs

Dave

dirtdigger88
02-25-2006, 09:10 AM
61 x 61 lugged steel
lugged steel fork
Mavic Mektronic
Ritchey stem and post

19lbs

Dave

this is a very telling statement about the importance of your parts pick- and that IMHO too much is made of the weight of the frame-

Dave and I ride basicly the same bike- in size- tube spec- h*ll the same dude in montana built both of them-

5 lb difference in bike weight- most people hear what my bike weighs and say well its because steel is heavy- I dont see it that way-

Dave's bike proves my point-

Jason

Smiley
02-25-2006, 09:19 AM
Dirt, Dave left the tools out of his bag to lighten it up :)

Grant McLean
02-25-2006, 09:50 AM
With a little (or a lot) of experience, most cyclists
eventually find what works for them personally.

The problem with lightweight expectations for the
"general population of cyclists", is that it doesn't
take into account the wide range of sizes, weights
and demands of the individual rider.

I mean, does it make any sense for a 6'4 200+lbs
recreational rider to have the same "tool" as a 5'4 120lb
racer? Me thinks not.

-g

YO!!!
02-25-2006, 10:11 AM
I am a fair weather rider and since it is raining this AM; thought I
would participate in this weighty issue.

I have 2 nearly identical Sachs frames from the mid 80s. One is outfitted with of the period Super Record gear. This is not the Super Record gear with titanium pedal axles or bb spindles. The other has Shimano 9 speed Dura-Ace
and Spinergy wheels[soon to be replaced with Nucleons}.

I weighed each bike on an old inaccurate bathroom scale, however conditions were identical for both weigh ins.

Wanna guess the winner of the weigh-in?

Pixs are in the Sachs Twins album here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/ebayauctions

musgravecycles
02-25-2006, 10:17 AM
63cm fillet- brazed frame
Alpha-Q Pro carbon fork
'03 Record Group
32x Record/velocity hoops
Clement Paris-Roubaix rubber
Ritchey Stem
Deda bar
Campy Al post
Regal Saddle
DA Pedals

19lbs

Working on new lugged frame/fork, we'll see how she compares...

1centaur
02-25-2006, 10:28 AM
"does it make any sense for a 6'4 200+lbs
recreational rider to have the same "tool" as a 5'4 120lb
racer?"

I like that earlier comment about weighing less than 10% of the rider's weight, since it helps justify my gram saving tendencies. My bikes weigh between 16.6 and 18ish (including pedals and cages) but not one is close to getting under 10% of my weight. One of the big bike company guys in one of the buyer's guides this month says he won't be surprised to see 1 pound frames in a couple of years. That's what it would take to get a bike in the region of 10% of my body weight.

People always focus on weightweenie tendencies as something only justifiable for minimum body fat racers. What they are missing is that weakish recreational riders probably benefit even more - weak muscles get overexerted more easily, so if saving 300 grams on your bike means your quads get over the hills a little easier then you can ride longer and more happily. Sure it would be great to just strengthen the engine but not everyone has the time, motivation or even physiology to make great strides in quad strength and aerobic efficiency, so light bikes become the means for them to enjoy what they can do just a little bit more.

And BTW, I don't believe 300 grams on your body equals 300 grams on the bike. The grams on the bike are concentrated in one area - it's like picking up a 30 pound rock - way harder than the weight should be because of weight concentration, not because 30 pounds itself is so much. Bike weight is dead weight while body weight is being used to drive the dead weight. Unscientific, but that's what I have observed over time. Then again, my body fat is pretty low.

Mud
02-25-2006, 10:32 AM
from someone who knows nothing.If it was assumed that the fitness level is the same than what is the difference in how a bike will feel-light, heavy responsive, sluggish, etc.

I have always believed that wheels were the key rather than the weight of the bike. I difference of a couple of pounds means very little if anything since clothing, water, snacks are different. Today at 20 degrees one bottle is more than adequate for our ride but a lot more GoreTex and winter Sidis add to the total.

I got chased off another site a long time ago by the know it alls who told me that rotating weight did not matter. I could tell the difference when I went to tubies and saved about 75 grams per wheel in rotating weight. But my wife tried her new wheels today which are almost 200 grams per wheel lighter in rotating weigh than what she had been riding (same as what I ride now) and she just charged off in the big ring as though she added a motor.

So I don't think overall weight is as important as fitness level and rotating weight. An earlier post talked about two bikes which are the same frame but different parts. Most weight is saved in wheels and tires and that is what seems to matter.

Too Tall
02-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Jason - I can't quit you ;) Exactly the point. Same goes for you Dave...you rawk. Thank you to everyone who resisted posting light bike brags.

Grant McLean
02-25-2006, 10:33 AM
People measure weight because it's measureable.

How do you measure, photograph, or print in magazines,
catalogs, and websites what "fantastic riding" is?

-g

vaxn8r
02-25-2006, 11:47 AM
63cm fillet- brazed frame
Alpha-Q Pro carbon fork
'03 Record Group
32x Record/velocity hoops
Clement Paris-Roubaix rubber
Ritchey Stem
Deda bar
Campy Al post
Regal Saddle
DA Pedals

19lbs

Working on new lugged frame/fork, we'll see how she compares...
61 x 61 lugged steel
lugged steel fork
Mavic Mektronic
Ritchey stem and post

19lbs

Dave

I've seen several >60cm. lugged steel bikes posted in the 19 lb range. My 56 cm. Atlanta with steel fork, ti stem, Thomson post, Flite saddle and full Ultegra 9 sp, Rolf Elan (1,300g) weighed 20.3 lbs. 21 with Ksyrium SSL.

So I figure you can save a few hundred g. in going to Record or DA. Other than that no other way to lighten it up. So the Atlanta must have been built with a super stout tubeset. Curious what a CSi might weigh in at.

Samster
02-25-2006, 01:37 PM
merckx ti majestic frame 50cm
ouzo pro fork
king headset
chorus compact cranks 50/34, and rear derailleur
record brifters, front d, chain, bb, 11-21 cluster
ultegra brake calipers (odd, i know)
dreaded ttt zepp stem
kestrel ems carbon bars
se slk saddle
salsa shaft (250mm)
campy proton wheels
conti gatorskins (mucho heavy)
cheap-a$$ innertubes (mucho heavy too)
campy cables and housing
nashbar cork tape + 3M electrical tape to hold it down
elite ciussi cage x 2
look keo classic pedals (brand spanking new from ebay)

wieght as stated=19 lbs (not light)
with pouch -co2, tube, levers, cellphone, $20 bill = 20.1lbs
with pouch and 2 full bottles = 23.2 lbs

oh well. so much for being light.

but i like the bike a lot.

Samster
02-25-2006, 01:46 PM
i was just out riding with a friend... i felt really sluggish... probably because of the 5 lbs i've put on doing basically nothing for the last month & change. so next time, i will just put the water bottles in my jersey pockets. ;)

scrooge
02-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Curtlo Frame. Very big.
Ritchey Pro seat post/stem.
Salsa Pro road bars
Ultegra 10
Salsa rings
Zinn Cranks (yes, they are boat anchors)
Alpha q Z crank
Arione saddle
Velocity rims/cane creek hubs (24h f, 28h rear I think, but I can't count very well)
Time Impact Pedals
2 water bottle cages

Was right around 22 lbs when I had it weighed at the shop that built it up. Now it probably weighs a little more with the bag, computer, frame pump etc. I don't care since I weigh about 220-230 and, relatively speaking, that seems about as light as most people's bikes (if not lighter).

Spicoli
02-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Only ever weigh them to compare one to the other and have gotten into the habit of weighing without wheels on since you never know if it is a sneakers/boots/sandals/or shoes (heels/pumps/hooker boots?) kinda day and that makes it moot? My number one question I ask all parts applying for there respective positions is "Can I break you?" and will it hurt me alot if I actually do? I dont need to be any ugly-er.

12.32lbs. for the Dream/ult
11.59lbs. for the C50/DA
(No wheels)
exact same parts.

One big fat motor for both.

Donuts for ALL!!!, Spicoli

Ti Designs
02-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Serotta Chimera (the model now known as the La Corsa) frame
Mostly Dura-Ace 9-speed parts
CXP33 hand built wheels
Cinelli 65-40 bars (some things never change)
A 5'10" motor

175 pounds. I hope to shave between 5 and 10 pounds off that in-season, but the bike ain't changing.

Dr. Doofus
02-25-2006, 02:23 PM
motor:

1m 84

71.5 kilos

bikes:

weigh less than doof's dog (65 pounds)

weigh more than doof's mom's dog (15 pounds)

any questions?

Spicoli
02-25-2006, 02:36 PM
motor:

1m 84

71.5 kilos

bikes:

weigh less than doof's dog (65 pounds)

weigh more than doof's mom's dog (15 pounds)

any questions?
YES, can moms dog OUT CLIMB Doof's dog?
and which dog has a better sprint?

Spicoli's dog only weights eleven lbs. but last time I had him hooked up to the SRM he could only maintain 270 watts for 37 minutes on a 5% grade. I shamed him that day and now he wont get off the couch for nuttin and his breath stinks.

Dr. Doofus
02-25-2006, 02:42 PM
doof's dog is a golden retriever

mom's dog is a fat beagle.

no contest

and doof's dog decided to race him around the 'cross course and kicked doof's azz

good workout for us both

mikemets
02-25-2006, 03:07 PM
Well, I don't ride that one anymore, but 4 years ago, I bought my first bike, a Trek hybrid, and it weighs 37 lbs.

Since then:
Colango C50 - 16lbs 12 oz (59 like a 57)
Calfee Luna - 18lbs 6 oz (56)
Serotta CIII - 20lbs 5 oz (56)

Too Tall
02-25-2006, 03:12 PM
Fellers, is the liar's sign lit? I'm all in.
Interesting thread.
I might have a tandem that weighs 41lbs. Than again I might not. In this case the weight is miniscule for what this bike accomplishes under darn heavy stress.

Bicycles really are the 9th wonder of the universe.

TiD - Interesting way to weigh a bike.

Fixed
02-25-2006, 03:17 PM
bro cannondale 16.5 with tubulars
miele 19.5 clinchers cheers it don't matter i ride the same on either bike cheers :beer:

marle
02-25-2006, 03:38 PM
61 cm CSI
Durace 10 speed
32 spoke Mavic Open pro / dt 240s hobs / 14 straight pull spokes
Conti 3000
EA 70 stem and bars
F2 fork
Chorus TI seatpost
Fizik Allente saddle
Look CX6 pedals

20 lbs

PanTerra
02-25-2006, 04:07 PM
62 cm CSi (see signature below)

Reynolds Ouzo-Pro fork
9 speed Ultegra gruppo with wa DA RD
3T bars and stem
Thompson "Elite" seatpost
Selle San Marco Aspide Aerohead (CroMo rails)
Mavic Ksyrium SSL wheelset with 23mm Mich Axial Carbons - inflated.
Performance Mag/Ti SPD road pedals

19 lbs.

Fixed
02-25-2006, 07:06 PM
bro weight ain't worth the wait .. you want to ride go ride i.m.h.o. cheers :beer:

manet
02-25-2006, 09:08 PM
spectrum super-ti, compact (59?)
deda stem + bar
bold seatpost
regal saddle
computer (broken)
9 spd d/a group
front cane creek aerohead front
rear kysrium 12-25 (25?!! ya' sorry, it's my beater wheel)
vredenstein 23's
sram chain lite chainy (with holes)
dirty blue cinelli cork with electrical tape (sorry TK)

Too Tall
02-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Real bikes. This is very interesting. Most of the rides are folks I know and these rigs get the snot beat out of them...real deal.

zap
02-26-2006, 07:50 AM
Klein Q Pro carbon
Campy Record
Zero G brakes.
AX Lightness
Carbon tubulars
Keo Ti

14.5 lbs. Real bike with 2 bottle cages. Real sweet ride. No BS.

The carbon bike is 20.5 with ZAP & Cosmic Carbone wheels

The Ti bike broke but weighed 17.5 with DA

Serotta PETE
02-26-2006, 07:56 AM
Yes - with me on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!