PDA

View Full Version : OT: plumbing epoxy liner (instead of replacement)

wallymann
07-09-2014, 02:17 PM
we have a 2nd-floor drain-pipe from bathroom sink that has failed. 50 year old house, the 3" copper drain pipe has very thin walls. a prior repair used a rubber splice w/ hose-clamps and the walls eventually thinned enough from corrosion that they crushed after 17 years.

i tore into the ceiling and cut out 6" of copper to see what i had to work with and the side-walls are pretty thin, something like 0.5mm left. if i were to do a similar splice fix, if it didnt collapse immediately i'd only kick the can down the road a couple years.

to replace the entire horizontal 8' run of copper w/ PVC, would require ripping out ALOT of plaster ceiling and wall. ALOT. not keen on that.

but i've learned about this epoxy pipe lining...seems like the perfect solution...clean out the drain-pipe, maybe solder in a copper stub where i've cut to give it some strength for the hose-clamps, apply the epoxy seal-coating, then install the rubber splice w/ hose-clamps as before.

anyone had this epoxy stuff done? i have a couple contractors coming out tomorrow...it'd be nice to go in with a bit of intel/experience.

http://www.craftsmanpipelining.com/wp-content/uploads/copper-before-and-after-cropped-1-300x169.jpg

45K10
07-09-2014, 03:46 PM
There are a couple of options you could try:
-KBI compression fitting
-sweat in two solder to NPT adaptors and install a small run of PVC pipe

I would stay away from the epoxy unless the pipe is completely shot and there is no room to add the fittings.

Birddog
07-09-2014, 03:47 PM
You have copper under plaster? I've never seen that before, it's usually cast iron. OTOH, if it's under drywall, I'd tear it out and replace with plastic. Fernco style flexible couplings are fine to use. I don't know a thing about the liner.

Tandem Rider
07-09-2014, 04:09 PM
How long are you planning on living there?

You already have to fix plaster,

Epoxy with 99% coverage just relocates the leak and buys you some time.

No-hub cast iron is the Cadillac for longevity and sound.
Schedule 40 PVC will last as long but be noisier and cheaper, DIY is possible.
Copper will repeat again, especially if you have a water softener.

tiretrax
07-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Nothing is permanent; iron will erode, too. Is it just this one pipe? My mother lives in an older building that had all of its pipes lined. She was told not to put anything in the disposal. Not sure if that's because of the liners or another issue.

wallymann
07-09-2014, 04:54 PM
Nothing is permanent; iron will erode, too. Is it just this one pipe? My mother lives in an older building that had all of its pipes lined. She was told not to put anything in the disposal. Not sure if that's because of the liners or another issue.

we have softened well-water, which i believe is the culprit.

we had some galvanized water-supply pipe that disintegrated like 15 years ago...so copper is more resilient with our water situation. PVC is perfect, the installation is the messy part.

yep, just this one pipe so far. from the bathroom sink...looks to have been a total of 3 repairs at various points, so it appears to be a problematic segment as well -- an 8ft lateral from the bathroom to the exterior wall before heading to the basement..

2LeftCleats
07-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Different application on larger pipe, but my brother had this done to the main sewer pipe from house to street. Expensive but effective.

HenryA
07-09-2014, 07:03 PM
3" drain for the sink only?

I'd look harder - I suspect that may be draining the toilet a bit further down the line.

Either way, plastic is your friend here.

wallymann
07-09-2014, 07:07 PM
3" drain for the sink only?

I'd look harder - I suspect that may be draining the toilet a bit further down the line.

Either way, plastic is your friend here.

its' not. i know the plumbing in the house well. was originally for 2 sinks, which may explain the diameter...along with the significant lateral distance it covers (~8ft) before heading downward.

we still use the toilet and shower in that bathroom (the only ones on the 2nd fl) and not a drop out of this pipe. it's completely disconnected right now and open to the air -- 100% any water introduced now would drain right into our 1st fl hallway.

plan is to go with plastic and replace the entire section, but i'm open to any good alternatives that allow me to avoid destroying a big section of plaster.

pbarry
07-09-2014, 07:09 PM
The epoxy fix will take longer than doing it right. :) Remove the plaster and lathe, and install grey schedule 80 PVC.