PDA

View Full Version : Columbus SL vs Zona

AngryScientist
07-09-2014, 02:05 PM
I'm in the planning stage. Thinking of making a road trip to the great north to buy a new frame in October.

frame is offered in Columbus SL or Zona. same frame.

thoughts on how to choose?

eBAUMANN
07-09-2014, 02:43 PM
my 2c...

SL - lightweight tubeset best for road use in smaller (sub-58) frames, as it tends to feel a bit noodly when the triangle gets too large.

Zona - a great do-all tubeset suitable for road/cx/mtn frames of any size.

Zona will be a little heavier but thats about it…for a smaller road frame id go SL, for anything else id go Zona.

AngryScientist
07-09-2014, 02:48 PM
Well this will be a road frame, and i ride a size 50. Looking like SL is going to be the ticket. Thanks Eric.

Nooch
07-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Jeez, what now Nick?? :) :banana:

I'm coming to your garage and taking, er, liberating a few fixies to make some room for you. beware the green cr-v creeping on the corner.

timto
07-09-2014, 04:22 PM
SL has some niceties like double taper seat stays (10.5/14/10.5 iirc) as well as nice ROR chainstays.

I think Zona uses oval chainstays in long taper - and has 16mm single taper seat stays.

Lots of builders mix tho ... to get desired characteristics.

SL is also STD dims - so 28.6 DT/25.4 TT
Zona is avail in OS and OOS diameters.

Great bikes are made with either tubeset!

alexstar
07-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Marinoni definitely makes great bikes :banana:

AngryScientist
07-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Marinoni definitely makes great bikes :banana:

yes, correct.

i'm planning on getting a trip for at least a few days of riding up north, and i've always been interested in marinoni. their 40th anniversary frames look to be excellent.

dancinkozmo
07-09-2014, 06:42 PM
lucky bugger

i think the sl looks spot on, but the fork looks too skinny with the fatter zona tubes...aesthetics aside they prolly both ride great !
have you decided on a color scheme ??

Peter P.
07-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Since Zona tubes come in an oversized configuration and SL in the old, standard "1 inch" configuration, the Zona frame will be stiffer.

As far as weight goes, an SL tube set was listed at 1920grams, but SL frames were usually built lugged, so the lugs would add more weight. I don't know if SL is weldable.

Zona however, is a weldable tube set, saving the weight of the lugs. You can play with tube weights on the Columbus web site. (http://www.columbustubi.com/eng/4_4_4.htm)

rePhil
07-09-2014, 06:50 PM
I had a SL tubed Marinoni. It's the only bike I regret selling.
Are you headed to the factory to pick it up?

AngryScientist
07-09-2014, 07:12 PM
I had a SL tubed Marinoni. It's the only bike I regret selling.
Are you headed to the factory to pick it up?

yes, that would be the plan.

AngryScientist
07-09-2014, 07:13 PM
do we have any forumites local to marinoni who have a bike stand i can use for a few hours to build??

pbarry
07-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Definitely SL for your size and weight. :beer:

I'd wager more pro races were won on that tubeset than any other, with 531 a close second.

gomango
07-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Definitely SL for your size and weight. :beer:

I'd wager more pro races were won on that tubeset than any other, with 531 a close second.

Likely true!

FWIW Two of my favorite all time bikes, my white Kvale and my 1978 Colnago Super are/were built with SL.

I lost my Super many years ago in an accident, but the Kvale is still here and I am so glad it is.

I like Zona quite a bit, but I have a real soft spot for SL framed road bikes.

I don't think you can go wrong.

8aaron8
07-09-2014, 07:58 PM
The current version of sl is just rebranded columbus el tubing. It does not have the 9/6/9 butts than the original sl tubing had, but rather 8/5/8. I believe the current run of tubes weighs roughly 1670g un-mitered. I have used the tubing a bunch and for sub 58 frames I would say it rides very well and creates a lightweight lugged frame.

8aaron8
07-09-2014, 07:59 PM
In addition my favorite bike I ever owned was a Marinoni, incredible craftsmanship and for the price its a steal.

pbarry
07-09-2014, 08:28 PM
The current version of sl is just rebranded columbus el tubing. It does not have the 9/6/9 butts than the original sl tubing had, but rather 8/5/8. I believe the current run of tubes weighs roughly 1670g un-mitered. I have used the tubing a bunch and for sub 58 frames I would say it rides very well and creates a lightweight lugged frame.

Good to know. Thanks for this. :hello:

merckx
07-09-2014, 09:10 PM
I would be all over an SL frameset like a small dog if I was your weight and size. The smart and sexy choice is SL. Post a pic or ten after you receive it, please.

zzy
07-09-2014, 09:37 PM
Worth pointing out that Marinoni no longer does lugged steel. Get one while you can - they are real works on art.

acorn_user
07-09-2014, 09:39 PM
When I saw this thread, I figured you might mean those Marinoni anniversary frames. My SL Marinoni Special is my very favourite bike. It was very undemanding; I never had to correct the line, it just went where I wanted and was a fabulous race/all day bike. I'd imagine that either tubeset would be excellent.

marciero
07-10-2014, 05:53 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but the sticker on my Colnago Tecnos is pretty worn off from bike stand. It says "Tecnos", and I remember it saying "Nivacrom". I know that the Nivacrom blend was used in various tubesets. Just wondering where this tubeset fits in the Columbus lineup. These are the shaped, sort of clover-leaf cross-section top tube- it bulges out where the Master XL was concave in.

Also wondering where the Pegoricci tubes fit in here. They are not mentioned on the Columbus site.

Apologies if this is re-hashing..

Mike

oldpotatoe
07-10-2014, 05:55 AM

Interesting....Is the 'new' SL also nivachrome, like EL was? Chrom-moly with more 'stuff' in it?

AngryScientist
07-10-2014, 06:10 AM
Worth pointing out that Marinoni no longer does lugged steel. Get one while you can - they are real works on art.

agreed, i've seen a few older ones in person and they are all very nice. i'm hoping this project will come together.

Joachim
07-10-2014, 06:28 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but the sticker on my Colnago Tecnos is pretty worn off from bike stand. It says "Tecnos", and I remember it saying "Nivacrom". I know that the Nivacrom blend was used in various tubesets. Just wondering where this tubeset fits in the Columbus lineup. These are the shaped, sort of clover-leaf cross-section top tube- it bulges out where the Master XL was concave in.

Also wondering where the Pegoricci tubes fit in here. They are not mentioned on the Columbus site.

Apologies if this is re-hashing..

Mike

Pego-Richie is Spirit for Lugs

marciero
07-10-2014, 06:33 AM
Pego-Richie is Spirit for Lugs
Yes- do remember reading that somewhere-thanks.

8aaron8
07-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Interesting....Is the 'new' SL also nivachrome, like EL was? Chrom-moly with more 'stuff' in it?

It is chrom-moly with more "stuff" in it, however, it is niobium, the zona steel I believe is the only one they still manufacture using the nivacrom.

8aaron8
07-10-2014, 11:25 AM
+1 on the PegoRichie tubing being spirit for lugs, just with a slightly different chain stay shape to accommodate Sachs lugs better

maxcolumbus
07-10-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm in the process of ordering a Savine. OS Zona tubes with a MAX fork.
I will galdly take a minor weight hit for ride quality. Stoked for the MAX fork.

Haven't ridden SL but I have an 84 Ciocc in SLX. Nice ride but heavy and a bit slushy when you get on it.

oldpotatoe
07-10-2014, 03:32 PM
It is chrom-moly with more "stuff" in it, however, it is niobium, the zona steel I believe is the only one they still manufacture using the nivacrom.

I thought 'nivachrom' was niobium, vanadium and chromium and molybdenum

But not a frame builder

8aaron8
07-10-2014, 06:43 PM
I thought 'nivachrom' was niobium, vanadium and chromium and molybdenum

But not a frame builder

I apologize, that is correct, so yes rebranded non-OS el tubing is the current run of sl. Nivacrom and everything

sante pollastri
07-11-2014, 02:03 AM
Yes,the new sl tubing is completely different from the old one,it's a niobium steel,just like spirit tubes,but differently butted.
I

aingeru
07-12-2014, 03:11 AM
my Kvale is built SL with SP down tube and chainstays. Is't a 53 cm frame. Stiff as hell. I weight 75 kg.

Scooper
07-12-2014, 09:07 AM
This is the new Niobium SL data sheet. It's standard diameter (25.4 TT, 28.6 DT and ST). TT is .8/.5/.8, DT is .8/.5/.8, ST is .8/.6 ...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/Tubing/2014ColumbusSLNiobium_zps66ac5f26.jpg