PDA

View Full Version : Litespeed

Dead Man
07-09-2014, 11:49 AM
Howdy

I've did some searching and found a random smattering of opinions both positive and negative on Litespeed. Didn't actually find any real threads specifically on the general ye or ne ness of this brand.

I see them listed for cheap on craigslist periodically. Here's one that popped up recently... http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bik/4548282192.html

That stem needs to die a horrible death.. But assuming 9 speed doesn't bother you, does this not seem like a good deal on some Ti?

How are these frames in general?

Thanks

-B

Dead Man
07-09-2014, 11:53 AM
I just noticed the one above is a triple... which actually probably puts the whole group into the "no thanks" category for me. But this is fairly representative.... I see a similar (but often even better configured) Litespeed Ti frame in my size with good components for right around $1000, probably about as frequently as once a month... so I wonder.

nbl78s
07-09-2014, 12:16 PM
I rode a litespeed Tuscany for a while... Smooth and compliant ride but flexy on the climbs. Not real inspirational if you know what I mean... I've always thought of Litespeed as a basic/no frills Ti build. Gets the job done but doesn't have the clout, craftsmanship or ride quality you find on the more boutique bikes like Moots.

FlashUNC
07-09-2014, 12:22 PM
There's two flavors of the company and frames. I'm not a fan of their post-sale stuff. But come to think of it I'm not fan of the Lynsky's post-sale stuff either...

Dead Man
07-09-2014, 12:37 PM
There's two flavors of the company and frames. I'm not a fan of their post-sale stuff. But come to think of it I'm not fan of the Lynsky's post-sale stuff either...

I've read a couple allusions to the "sale." What year did they sell, and what have been the differences between pre and post?

avalonracing
07-09-2014, 01:05 PM
what have been the differences between pre and post?

Mostly perceptions of people who haven't owned both...

I've had (and still have some) Ti bikes from Serotta, Litespeed, Merlin and Seven. My "post sale" ABG built, Tom Kellogg designed, Merlin CR is the best of them all. I just saying that some people think a pre-sale Merlin is the one to have they haven't ridden one of Tom's later designs that was built by ABG. I've also had a Litespeed Classic built by the same people. The build quality was fine it just wasn't designed as well (or with the same purpose) as the Merlin CR.

Not that my Seven Axiom and Sola don't kick ass, they do. I'm just pointing out that there are lot of second and third hand opinions about bikes.

One of the reasons that Litespeed doesn't have the cache of Seven is because it is made by guys who look more like "tradesmen" who are competent but not necessarily cyclists unlike the cooler, tattooed guys (and girls) who are bike geeks at Seven.

malcolm
07-09-2014, 01:11 PM
I had one, I think a vortex. It was a nice Ti frame, bought used and just a tad too small. I couldn't get the bars where I needed them without a stem similar to the one in the picture so I unloaded it, but there was nothing wrong with the frame. If it works for you and the price is right I would go for it.

gasman
07-09-2014, 01:22 PM
I've got a 1996 Litespeed Catalyst. It's been my winter, rain bike for 10 years. It's a compliant ride but does flex when out of the saddle climbing or sprinting. I've been happy with it as a wet weather tool- 9 speed Ultegra. If you want one for lousy weather riding the price can't be beat.

CunegoFan
07-09-2014, 01:41 PM
One of the reasons that Litespeed doesn't have the cache of Seven is because it is made by guys who look more like "tradesmen" who are competent but not necessarily cyclists unlike the cooler, tattooed guys (and girls) who are bike geeks at Seven.

The reason Litespeed does not have the cachet of the others is that Litespeed did a crappy job of protecting the value of its brand. For the longest time you could walk into a bike shop and find Litespeed frames for $3500 then wait for fall when Colorado Cyclist and Excel Sports would be blowing out Litespeeds and Merlins for half price. It always made me wonder why someone would be stupid enougn to buy at full price. Litespeed and Merlin became discount ti frames.

Buying Merlin did not help. It might have seemed like a brilliant move to corner the market at the time, but it turned Litespeed into the Walmart of titanium, especially with the discount policy. Moving Merlin to Tenn. and getting rid of all of Merlin's craftsmen did not help matters either.

Litespeed relied on all sorts of crazy tube manipulation with dubious benefits to set itself apart. It is interesting that Moots' rise was built mostly on simple but elegant designs with straight gauge tubing.

johnniecakes
07-09-2014, 01:44 PM
I have had a Ultimate and Saber for 6+ years now. They are excellent bikes, well made and with very good alignment. They were production frames and do not carry the clout of a fancy name but mine have stayed together and remained excellent bikes. Make sure the geo is right and you are good to go.

malcolm
07-09-2014, 02:18 PM
The reason Litespeed does not have the cachet of the others is that Litespeed did a crappy job of protecting the value of its brand. For the longest time you could walk into a bike shop and find Litespeed frames for $3500 then wait for fall when Colorado Cyclist and Excel Sports would be blowing out Litespeeds and Merlins for half price. It always made me wonder why someone would be stupid enougn to buy at full price. Litespeed and Merlin became discount ti frames.

Buying Merlin did not help. It might have seemed like a brilliant move to corner the market at the time, but it turned Litespeed into the Walmart of titanium, especially with the discount policy. Moving Merlin to Tenn. and getting rid of all of Merlin's craftsmen did not help matters either.

Litespeed relied on all sorts of crazy tube manipulation with dubious benefits to set itself apart. It is interesting that Moots' rise was built mostly on simple but elegant designs with straight gauge tubing.

I had forgotten how you would see the last years frames exactly the same as the new ones in the catalogs for 1/2 price.

CunegoFan
07-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Another thing I did not mention is that Litespeed became an OEM for others that wanted to sell a ti frame. It might have seemed like a good idea to collect the money rather than have it go to China, but there were places selling a house brand ti frame and it was made very clear it was manufactured by Litespeed. The frames were cheap too.

It is easy to blame ABG but Lynskey appears to be using the same plan that destroyed Litespeed's position in the market.

Peter can probably shed light on how Litespeed screwed over bike shops.

clyde the point
07-09-2014, 02:31 PM
FWIW I have had an older Litespeed Catalyst for 5 years. I am 6'2", 245 lbs. and have previously owned some rather nice bikes by Pinarello etc. I would lust after a Moots or even better Eriksen, however for $500 and another $250 for a steel fork by a local builder, I couldn't get close to anything as nicely done as that Catalyst.

Whatever people's beefs are about Litespeed marketing or whatevs, one thing is for sure they made the most ti bikes, and were on top of innovations from the start. I remember some of the early forgettable polished Litespeeds from the late 80's. It didn't take them too long to own the market and deservedly so. WalMart of Ti bikes: what a laugh. I guess none of those people ever owned one or they would certainly have a different opinion. :) And of course mine is worth what you pay for it.

gdw
07-09-2014, 02:44 PM
I thought Titanium Sports Technology, TST, was the Walmart of titanium....:banana:

TBLS
07-09-2014, 06:54 PM
I have a litespeed classic 1999 vintage...my dream bike at the time and yes i purchased from Colorado cyclist on one of their 'sales'.

Never a problem, tried and true with still operating 9 speed Ultegra + circuit wheels as my poor weather/trainer bike

Mine has been great and never regretted the purchase but have heard negative comments on later litespeeds as ownership changed.

toytech
07-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Never ridden one of their roadies but my Niota mtb is the best I have owned.
My son absolutely loves his Tuscany.
Not that my opinion has any value:banana:

pbarry
07-09-2014, 08:37 PM
You can't go wrong with a used Ti frame for $500, or $1,000 built. Do your homework: There were a lot of Litespeed iterations. Read reviews, look at old geo tables and make sure a particular frame works for you.

earlfoss
07-09-2014, 09:53 PM
I keep a side eye out for. Palmares, Liege, or Ultimate on TheBay just in case. Those were sweeeeet bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
07-10-2014, 06:06 AM
Howdy

I've did some searching and found a random smattering of opinions both positive and negative on Litespeed. Didn't actually find any real threads specifically on the general ye or ne ness of this brand.

I see them listed for cheap on craigslist periodically. Here's one that popped up recently... http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/bik/4548282192.html

That stem needs to die a horrible death.. But assuming 9 speed doesn't bother you, does this not seem like a good deal on some Ti?

How are these frames in general?

Thanks

-B

Sold them when they were just Litespeed...mid to late 90s..great frames..Quality continued into the ACG days..they lost their ti ways for a while but they(ACG) do know titanium.

Pushgears
07-10-2014, 06:09 PM
Don't be swayed by the LS lifetime warranty. It only covers normal wear and tear whatever that is. My 99 Classic cracked at the drop out chain stay weld. The company offered a new bike at a discount but did not honor the warranty. Google "Litespeed cracks" - there are thousands which is
which is why ABG cannot afford to honor the warranties. Bottom line? Fit is much more important than frame material. Ti is not magical-just another metal.

bluesea
07-10-2014, 06:15 PM

Someone had to say it, well done. :beer:

jimoots
07-10-2014, 06:53 PM
^^^^

+1

For mine, there is nothing worse than a 'manipulated' (read: molested) Ti frame. If I wanted crazy tube shapes I would have gone and bought a Pinarello. Seriously.

A.k.a. F'kn marketers controlling production.

cloudguy
07-10-2014, 11:11 PM

I always thought the weird tube shape was to maintain stiffness while using less material. I have 2006 Siena that (according to their catalog) weighs 2.68 lbs for a size medium frame. This model frame as worked fine for me. Not sure where Moots of the same era comes in on weight, if you care about that sort of thing...

cmg
07-11-2014, 12:15 AM
i had a 51cm Litespeed Firenze just like the photo, without the funky stem. liked the bike. Swapped out the fork for something lighter and liked it more. i now have 3 ti bikes. The Serotta frames are more responsive. My Kish is a better all rounder. a great way to buy into ti.

Dead Man
07-11-2014, 12:28 AM
I asked the guy if he'd sell just the frame, and he responded that he'd sell the whole bike for $800. I'm tempted to strip and part it off and keep the frame.... 6500 3-ring has to be worth at least 300 on eGreed, the wheels probably another 250, maybe, condition depending? That's getting me to 550 and a $250 Ti frame to do with as I please....

oldpotatoe
07-11-2014, 08:20 AM
I asked the guy if he'd sell just the frame, and he responded that he'd sell the whole bike for $800. I'm tempted to strip and part it off and keep the frame.... 6500 3-ring has to be worth at least 300 on eGreed, the wheels probably another 250, maybe, condition depending? That's getting me to 550 and a $250 Ti frame to do with as I please....

Good deal. I did the same with a Merckx, but after seeing it in person, donated everything on the bike to bike co-OP, what they didn't want went in the trash. I was left with a really nice Merckx Corsa for $600.

I'd say, if it fits( pretty small), ya can't go wrong.

cmg
07-11-2014, 08:53 PM

take it.! No way to lose on that deal. you'll never get a ti frame for that price.