PDA

View Full Version : Funny Hinault logic about cobbles

Joachim
07-09-2014, 08:28 AM
Interview (2014) with Hinault on the cobbles...

"I quit the day after the cobbles, since the shockwaves of the cobbles totally destroyed my minerals and therefore my tendons (muscles?) wouldn't function anymore".

Awesome....

FlashUNC
07-09-2014, 09:01 AM
Hinault was an odd bird. Hated Roubaix, but realized he needed to win it to continue to cement his legacy. So he did.

Course, his 1980 LBL ride is one of those that will live on forever. Atrocious conditions and an incredible win.

tiretrax
07-09-2014, 09:04 AM
Hinault was an odd bird. Hated Roubaix, but realized he needed to win it to continue to cement his legacy. So he did.

Course, his 1980 LBL ride is one of those that will live on forever. Atrocious conditions and an incredible win.

Odd bird or odd badger?

Hiw win there is legendary, but riders of old never had good conditions, wool kit, and heavy one speed bikes. Now, climibing the Tourmalet or Galibier in those conditions - legendary!

LegendRider
07-09-2014, 09:30 AM
It was more likely a crise de foie.

crankles
07-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Interview (2014) with Hinault on the cobbles...

"totally destroyed my minerals and therefore my tendons (muscles?) wouldn't function anymore".

Awesome....

pretty sure something was lost in translation and 'minerals' was suppose to be 'stones'. You can guess then that it wasn't his tendons that wouldnt function properly.

Joachim
07-09-2014, 12:42 PM
pretty sure something was lost in translation and 'minerals' was suppose to be 'stones'. You can guess then that it wasn't his tendons that wouldnt function properly.

No, he meant that bouncing up and down on the cobbles influenced his electrolyte balance. It's a perfect example of old school thinking. Something I've seen often while racing in Belgium/France.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-09-2014, 12:45 PM

mcteague
07-09-2014, 12:47 PM
"Glad my minerals are working today!"

crankles
07-09-2014, 12:50 PM
oh I got that part....I was attempting a joke ;-)No, he meant that bouncing up and down on the cobbles influenced his electrolyte balance. It's a perfect example of old school thinking. Something I've seen often while racing in Belgium/France.

marciero
07-09-2014, 03:49 PM

Pretty sure Paul Sherwen also finished that one. I think like less than 15 riders did.

Mike

bikinchris
07-09-2014, 07:45 PM
Hinault, the exact opposite of Schleck.

Schleck has the collateral and cruciate ligaments partially torn, the meniscus is torn and an injury to the articular cartilage has been diagnosed :

http://www.trekfactoryracing.com/news/medical-update-andy-schleck

mcteague
07-10-2014, 12:10 PM
A bit more clarity for his "minerals" comment. Still not sure about the medical veracity but...

“I abandoned due to the cobbles,” Hinault told L’Équipe after yesterday’s stage. “In 1980, it was an abysmal two days two days and it was longer than today. The first day, all went well, I won at Lille. The second day, I said to myself: "Damn, I've hurt my knee." The doctors told me that the shock waves had created minerals, like tiny pebbles were fixed to the tendon. Through the cobbles, the pain is amplified. It was over for me."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-shorts-remembering-world-war-i-hinault-and-the-rain

Tim