PDA

View Full Version : WOT: Selling jewelry

stephenmarklay
07-09-2014, 07:51 AM
I have been happily married for 24 years now. I have worn my wedding ring for a total of about 1 week in during that time.

I told my wife to sell it and get a nicer ring because she actually wears hers. Alas, she likes her ring just the way it is.

I am an anti-hoarder by nature so I have thought about just selling it but I am unsure if you can really sell a ring and get anywhere near its value?

Does anyone have any experience in such matters?

druptight
07-09-2014, 08:07 AM
What's it made of? If it's gold, you can probably get close to whatever today's going rate for gold is.

jr59
07-09-2014, 08:10 AM
pm sent

Columbus SLX
07-09-2014, 08:33 AM
For a basic wedding band (i.e. no stones), its value is pretty much its worth in metal. If you want to sell it, the best route is to find an industry acquaintance or local jeweler that can send it for melting. I don't know what those meth-head, cash-for-gold places offer but I doubt it's very much.

Gold's around $1320/oz today, down from a couple years ago, but still up historically. Of course, melting a wedding band may not be the best symbolic move :)

redir
07-09-2014, 08:47 AM
Consignment shop maybe? I'm like you I can't stand wearing anything like a ring or a watch it drives me nuts. My wedding band is pretty cool though, it's a Damascus Steel ring. Steel is real! I just find it annoying to wear.

tiretrax
07-09-2014, 08:56 AM
Consignment shop maybe? I'm like you I can't stand wearing anything like a ring or a watch it drives me nuts. My wedding band is pretty cool though, it's a Damascus Steel ring. Steel is real! I just find it annoying to wear.

LOL. I am the same - my ring is rose gold which we selected 20 years ago before it became fashionable again. I love the color, but I hate to wear it. I even bought a second band that was only 2.5mm wide, and I wouldn't wear it either. I lost that one, but I still have the one my wife gave me.

4Rings6Stars
07-09-2014, 09:01 AM
I got a <$100 titanium band expecting that I would never wear it since I have always disliked jewelry. Haven't taken it off since my wedding (except when mixing meatballs)...

I understand not wanting to be a hoarder, but a wedding band takes up no space at all. If you don't need the money, I would tuck it away somewhere safe and keep it. Actually, even if I did need the money, I would still keep it.

stephenmarklay
07-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Thanks again everyone. I got some great advice here and via PM.

I think just keeping it vs the couple hundred bucks may be the way to go on this.

My ideas are not always great ideas :)

malcolm
07-09-2014, 11:36 AM

I think just keeping it vs the couple hundred bucks may be the way to go on this.

Great plan. I can't imagine that selling your band wouldn't sting the wife just a bit even if you don't wear it.

jr59
07-09-2014, 11:39 AM

VERY good plan here! I hope in the years to come, you look back on this and laugh at the idea! :hello::hello:

mktng
07-09-2014, 12:09 PM
WTT: wedding band for bike.

gavingould
07-09-2014, 02:03 PM
alright, who are the industry insiders here?

i have an engagement-style ring i don't need cluttering up the joint... no big story, but emerald main stone flanked by li'l diamonds. very simple ring.

anyone know an assessor? or would best bet be to just go to a jeweler? i feel like with my limited (near zero) knowledge in jewelry, i'd get taken...

jr59
07-09-2014, 02:18 PM
alright, who are the industry insiders here?

i have an engagement-style ring i don't need cluttering up the joint... no big story, but emerald main stone flanked by li'l diamonds. very simple ring.

anyone know an assessor? or would best bet be to just go to a jeweler? i feel like with my limited (near zero) knowledge in jewelry, i'd get taken...

You are!

The trouble is, when a second hand dealer buys something like this, they tie up their cash for a long time. Until someone comes in that wants that exact setting in that exact metal. Trust me, it normally takes over a year or more to find that person and that's being lucky.

The dealer has to buy it low enough to afford to wait. Diamonds under .5 ct each are worth pennies at a wholesale level, same with small colored stones. Of corse there are exceptions, but they are exceptions.

Best to try your luck with crags list or fleabay!

stephenmarklay
07-09-2014, 10:29 PM
WTT: wedding band for bike.

:)

Louis
07-09-2014, 10:38 PM
These "Ring for sale" posts remind me of that famous Classifieds listing (probably apocryphal) that said something like "For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn."