PDA

View Full Version : All-City Mr. Pink

CNX
07-09-2014, 01:25 AM
Finally had my Mr. Pink frame built up by the hard working guys at Golden Saddle here in Los Angeles. Mostly Sram rival parts and pieces. Riding on 25's, it rides great. The taller headtube is perfect for my relatively short torso, which was a problem that prohibited from getting a good fit on my previous older Italian steel frames: a Tommasini and a Zullo. Those were so nice, I was afraid of riding them and I hardly did but I feel like I can ride this thing straight into a brick wall and it would survive. It's heavy, but I plan on lightening it up with a carbon fork in a few hundred miles. Also, it's almost more quiet than my fixed gear which is probably a testament to the mechanics at GSC. I can't recommend them enough!! Pics to follow shortly as time allows. I was a bit skeptical of all the hype surrounding All-City, but those doubts were put to rest in the first few miles of my first ride and now I'm a true believer.

velotrack
07-09-2014, 01:48 AM
I'm excited for the macho king. Discs, tapered whisky carbon fork, 853 tubing. It's a perfect way for me to see what all the hype's about while digging less than halfway into my pockets with a custom builder. 1200, before shop discounts... :) Don't get me wrong, the canti version is cool, but hey, I'm willing to dip my feet in the water and All City has options for everyone.

The rest of their line up is great too. Well designed.

Mr. Pink
07-09-2014, 05:55 AM
Say what?

Saint Vitus
07-09-2014, 11:56 AM
Say what?

I smell a ®™ infringement case...

JAGI410
07-09-2014, 12:24 PM
I love my Mr. Pink! I use it for gravel roads with knobby 33s, and use 28s for the road. Gorgeous paint in the sunlight too. Mine is built up with Campy Veloce. You'll certainly enjoy yours for years to come!

commonguy001
07-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Been thinking about selling my Titus Ti FCR frameset and replacing it with a Mr Pink as I like to run fatties and the Titus limits me to true 26-27mm tires.

Still a little leary of the PF30 bottom bracket but I may just have to get past it and pony up as I've got a sweet Ultegra kit ready to bolt on, just need a set of VO brakes and I'm ready!

Mr. Pink
07-09-2014, 12:56 PM
I smell a ®™ infringement case...

That should be referred to Tarantino's lawyer.

I'm much prettier than Steve Buscemi, anyway.

oliver1850
07-09-2014, 12:59 PM
I like the Mr. Pink, wish it came in pink though. What's a frameset cost? I couldn't find pricing on the site or at the two dealers I checked.

Saint Vitus
07-09-2014, 02:50 PM
That should be referred to Tarantino's lawyer.

I'm much prettier than Steve Buscemi, anyway.

Maybe so, but since this is a cycling related case not a crime gang one I think there are grounds to stand on... What grounds you ask? Coffee grounds.

commonguy001
07-09-2014, 02:53 PM
What's a frameset cost? I couldn't find pricing on the site or at the two dealers I checked.
They list at $795 frame and fork...

mtb_frk
07-09-2014, 09:21 PM
How do the AC bikes look in person? I am really liking the looks of macho man disc, but haven't ever seen any of them in person.

thirdgenbird
07-09-2014, 10:08 PM
How do the AC bikes look in person? I am really liking the looks of macho man disc, but haven't ever seen any of their in person.

They don't look like a top end custom but they look nice for the price point. Nice dropouts, the bottle bosses have diamond reinforcements, they are internally plated, and the paint seems pretty tough.

Netdewt
07-09-2014, 10:20 PM
There are a few close ups of my Space Horse here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=151485

The quality is great for the price. I haven't ridden it yet though.

mtb_frk
07-10-2014, 05:43 AM
How do they compare with a surly from a build/quality perspective? Seems to be a similar price point.

thirdgenbird
07-10-2014, 07:15 AM
How do they compare with a surly from a build/quality perspective? Seems to be a similar price point.

Surly and All-City are the same company. Quality is probably similar but the details on the all-city look much nicer to me.

benb
07-10-2014, 07:45 AM
I've been riding a space horse this year, massive change and downgrade from the carbon bike I was riding last year, but my riding has changed and this bike is a good fit. (My riding went from 99% "sport" riding to about 80% commuting/towing kids) It's a better bike for real world riding than a lot of fancier stuff though. Our roads are terrible and it's a great bike for that. The shop I got my bike at did not have the Mr. Pink so I didn't really get to consider it. The space horse does great in the dirt though, I'd imagine the Mr. Pink does too. I have my bike set up with SPDs and I wear mountain shoes and as long as I don't get into really rocky/rooty stuff I can go a lot of the same places I'd go on my MTB, so I really enjoy doing mixed dirt/road rides.

I like the bike a lot but in the case of the Space Horse the Tiagra and/or the build quality has given me nagging shift issues. I've been doing my own wrenching for ~15 years so I don't think it's me. I need to change the cables & housing first but if that doesn't fix it I will probably be looking into better shifters and/or deraiullers. (I hope it's not the frame flexing causing the shifting issues, as they are indeed the type of issues that don't occur on the workstand)

Paint seems pretty tough but with only about 1000 miles on my frame the cables have worn through the paint on the headtube.

I might have liked the Mr. Pink in some ways better.. I do regularly use a rack & panniers and I used full fenders all last fall/winter/springs but the Space Horse is a little too stiff for use with skinnier tires. I have a wheelset with 23c tires that I put on for faster rides on smoother roads and with no weight on the bike the ride is a little rough. With the stock wheels/tires and/or with weight it's a really cushy ride. It handles weight really well. No hands riding is not a problem for me with panniers on the back. (I don't have a front rack)

I test rode Surly's, they are all QBP products.. the All City bikes I rode were more lively, paint is much nicer, details are nicer, the stock builds are a bit different, and the electroplating is some peace of mind if you live in a rough area.

My bike is heavy but I would feel absolutely no need to put a carbon fork on it.. it'd still be a heavy bike and the performance of the steel fork is totally fine. I like the frameset enough though that it will eventually get some nicer components which would save some weight. The stock seatpost, stem, etc.. are all super strong heavy stuff on these bikes, the manuals even have load ratings for bags attached to the bars. Not sure about the Mr. Pink but the Space horse is rated for 330lbs rider + gear. Some of the Surly's must be rated even higher, the LHT felt incredibly stiff compared to the Space Horse when I test rode them. (I'm around 180lbs right now, overweight for me)

One thing, if you have no intention of running fixed/SS I don't think the All City dropouts are necessarily a good thing.. making sure the rear wheel is aligned is an extra step that can be annoying compared to vertical dropouts. I often worry about it with my above mentioned shifting issues. If you do want that versatility they are great, and it is easy to remove/replace the wheel with fenders in place.

c-record
07-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Finally had my Mr. Pink frame built up by the hard working guys at Golden Saddle here in Los Angeles. Mostly Sram rival parts and pieces. Riding on 25's, it rides great. The taller headtube is perfect for my relatively short torso, which was a problem that prohibited from getting a good fit on my previous older Italian steel frames: a Tommasini and a Zullo. Those were so nice, I was afraid of riding them and I hardly did but I feel like I can ride this thing straight into a brick wall and it would survive. It's heavy, but I plan on lightening it up with a carbon fork in a few hundred miles. Also, it's almost more quiet than my fixed gear which is probably a testament to the mechanics at GSC. I can't recommend them enough!! Pics to follow shortly as time allows. I was a bit skeptical of all the hype surrounding All-City, but those doubts were put to rest in the first few miles of my first ride and now I'm a true believer.

Did you say your Sram is quite?

goonster
07-10-2014, 10:33 AM
I like the Mr. Pink, wish it came in pink though.
Mr. Pink did not wear pink!

But he did play tiny violins . . .