PDA

View Full Version : TdF Jersey Wearers

Red Tornado
07-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Noticed that Nibali is wearing the yellow jersey with team shorts. This is, IMHO, the way to go. Guys that are completely decked out in yellow/polka dot/green kit + matching paint on the bike look way overdone to me. They're competing for the JERSEY, not the kit. A little touch on the bottom of team shorts and/or bar tape is not an issue for me personally. The deck-out "everything" look is probably good for team/sponsor exposure (or maybe the riders' exposure) but sometimes I think less is more.

tiretrax
07-08-2014, 09:12 AM
Noticed that Nibali is wearing the yellow jersey with team shorts. This is, IMHO, the way to go. Guys that are completely decked out in yellow/polka dot/green kit + matching paint on the bike look way overdone to me. They're competing for the JERSEY, not the kit. A little touch on the bottom of team shorts and/or bar tape is not an issue for me personally. The deck-out "everything" look is probably good for team/sponsor exposure (or maybe the riders' exposure) but sometimes I think less is more.

Agreed. I'm a traditionalist, and I don't think one should have anything but the jersey until rolling into Paris and having the competition in the bag.

azrider
07-08-2014, 09:30 AM
ughh......my eyes!

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com//2013/07/01/2/bettiniphoto_0148281_1_full_670.jpg

torquer
07-08-2014, 11:14 AM
Mostly agree with the OP, especially during early stages when a sprinter like Kittel may only be in yellow for a day. (Polka-dot jersey can change hands a lot during the first week, too.)

OTOH, some team kits' colors just don't work with those leaders' jersey colors; Nibali's Astana turquoise ain't too bad, but I wouldn't want to see a Lampre sprinter (just to pick one, shall we say assertive team colorway) adding green atop pink and blue shorts.

http://slayingthebadger.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/hinaul-promises-lemond-the.jpg?w=584
I do miss the old composite jersey competition, though. And as long as everybody's shorts were black, nobody's eyes were hurtin'.

thirdgenbird
07-08-2014, 11:55 AM
I'm ok with some of the special equipment setups on the final day if the winner is clear. Prior to that, I say keep it simple. A yellow jersey with the team kit and a few touchies on the bike is fine. I do admit that I enjoyed wiggin's bike that got progressively more yellow by the day.

tiretrax
07-08-2014, 01:22 PM
[QUOTE=torquer;1579670]Mostly agree with the OP, especially during early stages when a sprinter like Kittel may only be in yellow for a day. (Polka-dot jersey can change hands a lot during the first week, too).[QUOTE]

Definitely, that's my point. Some of those competitions change 5 times. I remember one or two green jersey competitions changing hands multiple times and then won on the final sprint in Paris.

[QUOTE=torquer;1579670]
OTOH, some team kits' colors just don't work with those leaders' jersey colors; Nibali's Astana turquoise ain't too bad, but I wouldn't want to see a Lampre sprinter (just to pick one, shall we say assertive team colorway) adding green atop pink and blue shorts.[QUOTE]

Lampre's kit becomes more garish each year. Time to go back to national teams!

Red Tornado
07-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Can definitely see TDF (or other tours') jerseys not going well with some teams' colors. Makes an even better case for black shorts - or at least black as the base color with team colors on side panels.
Also agree that a total covering in the jersey color/design could be appropriate on the last day, when the competition (GC, mountains & young rider - maybe not sprinter or points) is basically sewn up.
The polka-dot paint job on kit/helmet/bike is especially rough on the eyes....

pinoymamba
07-08-2014, 02:33 PM
totally agree!

Admiral Ackbar
07-08-2014, 07:45 PM
can't say it bothers me. maybe you should have to hold the jersey for a few days before you get the whole kit but its not like its a fashion show... i think the full KOM kit shown above is pretty rad. wayyy better than a lot of team jerseys. not to mention some of the national jerseys that look like they were thrown together in 2 minutes.

Md3000
07-08-2014, 07:59 PM
The totally green and polka dots are a bit much, yellow I can stand as well as giro's pink like how nairo wore it last time

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2014/05/SPTDW724-660x440.jpg

MattTuck
07-08-2014, 07:59 PM
I think this has to do with sponsor dollars and the fact they can have some limited edition bikes/kits made. Very little to do with riders' fashion/style sense.

tiretrax
07-08-2014, 08:17 PM
I think this has to do with sponsor dollars and the fact they can have some limited edition bikes/kits made. Very little to do with riders' fashion/style sense.

That's for certain. Apparently teams already come with the bike (tucked away) to match the appropriate jersey.

thirdgenbird
07-08-2014, 08:19 PM
its not like its a fashion show...

It did start here did it not?

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2010/12/000_SAPA970710646280-548x440.jpg

Goodness I love this picture. Metal frames, hand build wheels, wheels out of the box, spinergys, spinachis, what I believe to be a mini disc player, coca cola bottles...

rustychisel
07-09-2014, 12:12 AM
It did start here did it not?

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2010/12/000_SAPA970710646280-548x440.jpg

Goodness I love this picture. Metal frames, hand build wheels, wheels out of the box, spinergys, spinachis, what I believe to be a mini disc player, coca cola bottles...

I'm with ya, sort of.

9 speed, exposed cables, Briko's, hair mousse, dopers. Ah, those were the days.

tiretrax
07-09-2014, 09:07 AM
I'm with ya, sort of.

9 speed, exposed cables, Briko's, hair mousse, dopers. Ah, those were the days.

11 speed, electronic shifting, Oakleys, hair mousse seized at the border, dopers. These are the days.

torquer
07-09-2014, 10:38 AM
And helmets optional...
Amazing how bad a great rider like Museeuw can look, when photographed at the wrong moment. (Like when alongside SuperMario, for instance.) Needs to be seen on the cobbles with a coating of mud, I guess, to be recognizable.

estuche
07-09-2014, 11:48 AM
ughh......my eyes!

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com//2013/07/01/2/bettiniphoto_0148281_1_full_670.jpg

Hahaha that was funny :)