PDA

View Full Version : Well, that's a rather audacious claim...

velotrack
07-07-2014, 11:09 PM
Oops, posted it in the wrong section. Ha. Anyways...

Courtesy of good ol' social media.

rustychisel
07-07-2014, 11:16 PM
Ceramic headset bearings would be way f***ing neat. I'd pay, oh, $400 extra for that kind of competitive advantage.;)

not

Llewellyn
07-08-2014, 12:58 AM
Wow, where can I get some. They'll make all the difference to my riding.

jimoots
07-08-2014, 03:59 AM
It really is unfortunate that the social media guy picked a photo of the headset when talking about ceramic bearings saving watts. Good lol though.

Bruce K
07-08-2014, 05:20 AM
I'm guessing they used the headset photo because that's the only bearing that is actually visible to have a logo you can read.

While it probably makes no sense for us mere mortals, if you saved 2 watts at the BB, 1 watt at the RD, and 3-4 watts at the wheels, you can get to 6 or 7. If that translates into 1 or 2 seconds at the end of a stage it might make sense that the pros will try it. It costs the riders nothing and might provide a small edge.

I mean hey, they're messing with helmet vent configuration and kit fabrics and fit to try and save a couple of watts/seconds.

BK

jimoots
07-08-2014, 05:27 AM
I'm guessing they used the headset photo because that's the only bearing that is actually visible to have a logo you can read.

While it probably makes no sense for us mere mortals, if you saved 2 watts at the BB, 1 watt at the RD, and 3-4 watts at the wheels, you can get to 6 or 7. If that translates into 1 or 2 seconds at the end of a stage it might make sense that the pros will try it. It costs the riders nothing and might provide a small edge.

I mean hey, they're messing with helmet vent configuration and kit fabrics and fit to try and save a couple of watts/seconds.

BK

I'm sure there are marginal gains to be had. When your racing for lots of money and sponsorship and have to back it up day after day I'm sure you'll take what you can get. Especially when the marginal gain comes with a sponsorship cheque :banana:

The challenge for Joe Average is realising that marginal gains are usually very marginal.

oldpotatoe
07-08-2014, 06:25 AM

BK

It's all about advertising.."get a set and ride like Contador"(or eat a chinese steak). Win on Sunday, sell on Monday. They may even take the seals out of these bearings and throw them away after every wet stage(like yesterday)...but the riders don't care, as long as they don't crump 30k from the finish, and they may not even care then..when they get their paycheck every 2 weeks.

Few teams are as gadget and sponsor $ driven like Tinkoff, that silly Rooskie.

AngryScientist
07-08-2014, 06:37 AM
c'mon. let's not forget that sponsors are footing huge bills to sponsor pro cycling teams. of course they use the teams as a platform to showcase their stuff, and of course they want to sell stuff. i agree that it's unfortunate that someone took that photo and equated "faster" headset bearings with saving watts, but hey, we all know what's up.

racing at this level has always been the pointy end of the spear. it seems that some folks here would be critical of anything out there beside 32-spoke handbuilt wheels, steel frames and DT shifters. it's bicycle racing at the highest level, and that's just where you find the cutting edge of technology, the final stage of R&D. Sometimes they get it wrong, but it's still cool that after so many years with the bicycle, they are still innovating.

Bruce K
07-08-2014, 06:43 AM
TdF = NASCAR or any other high dollar competition between manufacturers

Even running shoe manufacturers make claims in order to sell products (anyone want to talk about barefoot shoes/Vibram toe shoes?)

The claims may be valid and quantifiable in a lab or wind tunnel and have value to their racers but as I thought I said, the value in some cases is dubious to most of us.

There is also a long list of advances that are now commonplace due to these advances

BK

josephr
07-08-2014, 08:30 AM
Even running shoe manufacturers make claims in order to sell products (anyone want to talk about barefoot shoes/Vibram toe shoes?)

Or how about Nike placing their swoosh trademark on Oscar Pistorius' running blades in the last summer Olympics even though they don't make running blades. They still got a nice 15-second spot on TV for that one!

I once read somewhere that leg shaving saves .5 second over 100km. Sounded a little bit optimistic in my opinion, but if I was a racing, I'd do anything I could for every little advantage. If only they offered podiums and huge cash awards for winning club centuries. :)
Joe

torquer
07-08-2014, 10:37 AM
Ceramic headset bearings would be way f***ing neat. I'd pay, oh, $400 extra for that kind of competitive advantage.;)

not
But remember, pro cyclists have the upper body strength of 12 YO schoolgirls, so watts saved cranking that stem back and forth thousands of times during a stage could be the difference between winning and losing!
Watch for these on Andy Schleck's bike when he makes his comeback.

chwupper
07-08-2014, 11:06 AM
c'mon. let's not forget that sponsors are footing huge bills to sponsor pro cycling teams. of course they use the teams as a platform to showcase their stuff, and of course they want to sell stuff. i agree that it's unfortunate that someone took that photo and equated "faster" headset bearings with saving watts, but hey, we all know what's up.

racing at this level has always been the pointy end of the spear. it seems that some folks here would be critical of anything out there beside 32-spoke handbuilt wheels, steel frames and DT shifters. it's bicycle racing at the highest level, and that's just where you find the cutting edge of technology, the final stage of R&D. Sometimes they get it wrong, but it's still cool that after so many years with the bicycle, they are still innovating.

32-spoke wheels are new fangled frippery. 36-spoke wheels for me, thanks. ;)

(I write this jokingly, though I am currently having a 36-spoke wheelset hand built around 8-speed chorus hubs. Gonna be the best wheelset of all time, dagummit, even without ceramic bearings!)

tiretrax
07-08-2014, 11:18 AM
I once read somewhere that leg shaving saves .5 second over 100km. Sounded a little bit optimistic in my opinion, but if I was a racing, I'd do anything I could for every little advantage. If only they offered podiums and huge cash awards for winning club centuries. :)
Joe

I work with a tri-geek who told me this earlier this morning that a new study shows leg shaving saves 70 seconds over 40k. Sounds pretty amazing, but the upside is that the wind resistance from my hirsute legs will help build my fitness.

fiamme red
07-08-2014, 11:55 AM
I work with a tri-geek who told me this earlier this morning that a new study shows leg shaving saves 70 seconds over 40k. Sounds pretty amazing, but the upside is that the wind resistance from my hirsute legs will help build my fitness.Who sponsored that study? Bic or Gillette? :rolleyes:

Mark McM
07-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Who sponsored that study? Bic or Gillette? :rolleyes:

Specialized did the test, in their new wind tunnel:

http://youtu.be/DZnrE17Jg3I

tuscanyswe
07-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Who sponsored that study? Bic or Gillette? :rolleyes:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152508272847579