PDA

View Full Version : Simple Shimano Chain question.

Shortsocks
07-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Hey guys/gals.

So I've always used KMC X10 chains, so it has the quick link. But tomm I'm going to remove and clean my wife's Shimano chain. Guessing it's a 105 chain, because it's a full 105 drive train. Is there anything specific I need to know to remove and install the chain? I do have a chain tool. :)

I was just going to put it in degreaser for an hour and then power spray it.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for noob help.

AngryScientist
07-07-2014, 09:02 PM
i never remove a chain to clean it.

i would definitely never remove a chain without a quick-link just to clean it, pin-push chains are simply not designed to be removed and re-installed multiple times, i believe with shimano chains you will need a spare pin to do so anyway.

just clean it on the bike.

Shortsocks
07-07-2014, 09:12 PM

i would definitely never remove a chain without a quick-link just to clean it, pin-push chains are simply not designed to be removed and re-installed multiple times, i believe with shimano chains you will need a spare pin to do so anyway.

Got it! Thanks angry!

djg21
07-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Hey guys/gals.

So I've always used KMC X10 chains, so it has the quick link. But tomm I'm going to remove and clean my wife's Shimano chain. Guessing it's a 105 chain, because it's a full 105 drive train. Is there anything specific I need to know to remove and install the chain? I do have a chain tool. :)

Thanks for noob help.

How long has it been on the bike and how many miles? It may be time to just replace it.

If you break a Shimano chain, you are supposed to use a special shimano pin (http://www.jensonusa.com/!coCTAO6tFjs2EP264OIuaw!/Shimano-10SPD-Chain-Pins?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CjwKEAjwiumdBRDZyvKvqb_6mkUSJABDyYOzZbc4aG0u 9mautSz9RPwMM-a-DrLsY7nICcQFVTzBmBoCjtzw_wcB) to reinstall it. They are pretty simple to use. I wouldn't recommend pushing out a regular chain pin and reinstalling the chain by pushing the pin back in (though I successfully did this once to add a link to a chain I initally made too short).

You alternatively can use a KMC, or Connex, or SRAM master link. There have been numerous threads on master links recently.

Shortsocks
07-07-2014, 09:22 PM
How long has it been on the bike and how many miles? It may be time to just replace it.

If you break a Shimano chain, you are supposed to use a special shimano pin (http://www.jensonusa.com/!coCTAO6tFjs2EP264OIuaw!/Shimano-10SPD-Chain-Pins?utm_source=FRGL&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CjwKEAjwiumdBRDZyvKvqb_6mkUSJABDyYOzZbc4aG0u 9mautSz9RPwMM-a-DrLsY7nICcQFVTzBmBoCjtzw_wcB) to reinstall it. They are pretty simple to use. I wouldn't recommend pusing out a regular chain pin and reinstalling the chain by pushing the pin back in (though I successfully did this once to add a link to a chain I initally made too short).

You alternatively can use a KMC, or Connex, or SRAM master link. There have been numerous threads on master links recently.

It's a fairly new chain, maybe 600 miles on it max. It's a very new bike, but it's gotten gunked up so I was going to just do a full clean and tune tomm...
But it seems that it's more of a pain in the butt to remove it, so I guess I'll just clean it while it's on the bike. That's odd, don't understand why shimano doesn't use a similar thing to KMC. :confused:

kramnnim
07-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Maybe the snap off Shimano pins are more reliable?

If it was mine, I'd remove half a link and replace it with a quick link...but I haven't figured out a good way to clean a chain while still on the bike.

djg21
07-07-2014, 09:53 PM
don't understand why shimano doesn't use a similar thing to KMC. :confused:

My guess is that it has to do with patents and Shimano's reluctance to pay licensing fees.

oldpotatoe
07-08-2014, 06:32 AM
Hey guys/gals.

Thanks for noob help.

Depending on year and model, it may be directional..make sure the 'name', 'shimano' is outboard.

Be careful of time in degreaser..most are water based, can rust a chain.

Hook back together either with a KMC, Wipperman(recommended) link or shimano pin.

Gummee
07-08-2014, 06:33 AM
My guess is that it has to do with patents and Shimano's reluctance to pay licensing fees.

According to someone in Shimano, they did do a quick link on an old D/A chain but dropped it 'cause they didn't like the wear and performance.

Personally, I don't remember the last time I took a chain off the bike to clean it.

M

oldpotatoe
07-08-2014, 06:33 AM

Pins are no longer designed to be pushed out then back in but shimano chains, with a new pin, is no big deal..as long as the pin you push out isn't the pin first pushed in.

oldpotatoe
07-08-2014, 06:36 AM
According to someone in Shimano, they did do a quick link on an old D/A chain but dropped it 'cause they didn't like the wear and performance.

Personally, I don't remember the last time I took a chain off the bike to clean it.

M

7800, first gen 10s, had the link..and it was noisy and prone to failure.

I use Wipperman links, KMC on 11s. On a Campagnolo chain, first install, with pin..when takeoff and clean, use a KMC link. You really can't thoroughly clean a chain on a bike.