PDA

View Full Version : OT: Head Gasket

Cat3roadracer
07-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Of all the toys I am fortunate to own my John Deere Z225 zero turn was one of my favorites until yesterday. I am cutting as usual and smell smoke, see smoke, see oil spraying out of the fuel pump to my left. Internet investigation points to a blown head gasket.

I purchased the mower in September 2009, but only have 48 hours on the machine. This is what burns me.

Anyone else have difficulty with the 18.5 Briggs engine? Any luck with warranty repair?

Thanks, Dave

tiretrax
07-07-2014, 09:01 PM
With so few hours, I'd lean heavily on the dealer if it's out of warranty. The dealer's facebook page would be a good place to compliment or complain about the way in which they stand behind their product.

pbarry
07-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Of all the toys I am fortunate to own my John Deere Z225 zero turn was one of my favorites until yesterday. I am cutting as usual and smell smoke, see smoke, see oil spraying out of the fuel pump to my left. Internet investigation points to a blown head gasket.

I purchased the mower in September 2009, but only have 48 hours on the machine. This is what burns me.

Anyone else have difficulty with the 18.5 Briggs engine? Any luck with warranty repair?

Thanks, Dave

White smoke is the usual HG sign, but not always, and not familiar with this engine, though I love single cyl work machines.

Just checking: Are you sure oil was spraying out of/near the fuel pump? Oil burn off will be black or blue smoke.

R2D2
07-08-2014, 07:12 AM
White smoke is the usual HG sign, but not always, and not familiar with this engine, though I love single cyl work machines.

Just checking: Are you sure oil was spraying out of/near the fuel pump? Oil burn off will be black or blue smoke.

There's no white smoke with an air cooled engine. Water cooled produces white smoke.

Those engines have an oil pump so oil could be spraying out.

Very unusual to have a head gasket fail at such low hours. Was it ever over heated?
But not too hard to fix either. Pretty simple engine. B&S or dealer should step up. But if they don't not all that expensive to fix.

Although a little more expensive, a good synthetic ( Mobile One) does wonders for the life of an air cooled engine. It doesn't break down like a conventional oil at high temperatures. I run it in ALL my 4-stroke lawn equipment.

rePhil
07-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Try heading to the lawn mower forum. Could you be this lucky?

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/john-deere-forum/18785-john-deere-z225-blows-smoke-during-start-then-quits.html?highlight=z225+head+gasket

F150
07-08-2014, 03:06 PM
There's no white smoke with an air cooled engine. Water cooled produces white smoke.

Those engines have an oil pump so oil could be spraying out.

Very unusual to have a head gasket fail at such low hours. Was it ever over heated?
But not too hard to fix either. Pretty simple engine. B&S or dealer should step up. But if they don't not all that expensive to fix.

Although a little more expensive, a good synthetic ( Mobile One) does wonders for the life of an air cooled engine. It doesn't break down like a conventional oil at high temperatures. I run it in ALL my 4-stroke lawn equipment.

Not necessarily. My Mom's B&S Vanguard burned the gasket separating the cylinder from the overhead valve pushrod gallery. Not only did it blow bright, pure white smoke so thick the Fire Department was called, but also made a mess of the air cleaner and throat of carb. Air cooled will blow white smoke, trust me, not unique to water cooled engines.

Replacement was a piece of cake, this coming from a guy with limited I/C engine rebuilding skill. Also the same guy who failed to remove the Shop rag from intake after rebuilding carb on the F150, lodged in #1 cylinder intake valve (note: rotate crank to max open, place ShopVac suction on intake/carb mounting plate. Voila'). $10 gasket, impact driver, an hour and some patience was all it took. This Simplicity mower has thousands of hours on it...