PDA

View Full Version : 144bcd Chainring

p nut
07-07-2014, 06:16 PM
Looking to purchase a 48T 144bcd chainring in 3/32" (I guess 1/8" would work as well, but would prefer 3/32" as I have a chain already). Anyone know of a good source? Cranks are stock from Wabi cycles. I thought about getting a ring from them again, but they're a little hefty, so I wanted to see if there were other choices. Price on his site is $40, which may be pretty hard to beat.

Thanks for any info.

http://www.wabicycles.com/chainring.html

zzy
07-07-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm a big fan of Blackspire track rings: https://www.benscycle.com/p-3244-blackspire-track-chainring.aspx

I ran a 48t 3/32 for racing.

oldpotatoe
07-07-2014, 07:04 PM
Looking to purchase a 48T 144bcd chainring in 3/32" (I guess 1/8" would work as well, but would prefer 3/32" as I have a chain already). Anyone know of a good source? Cranks are stock from Wabi cycles. I thought about getting a ring from them again, but they're a little hefty, so I wanted to see if there were other choices. Price on his site is $40, which may be pretty hard to beat.

Thanks for any info.

http://www.wabicycles.com/chainring.html

TA makes 'em, probably 1/8 and 3/32.

AngryScientist
07-07-2014, 07:38 PM
sugino makes superb chainrings, either the zen or the 75 are great!

spartanKid
07-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Some brand called "dura-ace" seems to make some nice 3/32 track rings

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

oliver1850
07-07-2014, 09:53 PM
I have a nice new 49 T silver Stronglight within arms reach. Might have a 48T something if you prod me to go looking.

07-08-2014, 12:53 AM
Be very clear whether you want 1/8" or 3/32". You don't want to have a 1/8" chainring and start using a 3/32" chain. Things will break. I normally just recommend 1/8" for everything because it doesn't go wrong and there's more equipment out there to borrow or buy used, especially since you're looking for the track standard of144 BCD.

As for rings? I haven't had good luck with TA's -- they are too often out of round. That's generally a problem with the cheapest ones. If you are going to mount a ring and leave it, there are lots of SRAM Omnium 48 tooth 1/8" rings for sale out there for next to nothing -- the cranks come with them and nothing else and people dump them. But they are respectable rings made with good alloy and superb hard coating. It's a great way to get a 48 on your bike for cheap.

Everyone uses Blackspire and FSA rings, but they tend to be a bit erratic in roundness and precision of machining. They also aren't as stiff, if you're a rider who will notice that. It really depends on your budget. Sugino Zen Racing rings are generally the nicest out there (short of some limited production ultra-deluxe ones), followed closely by Dura Ace. I find the Dura Ace fall behind the Zen Racing principally in their finish -- they develop corrosion spots faster than they should. Then there are Sugino 75 rings, etc. You can also find great Suntour Superbe Pro rings -- out of production but beautifully made and in high demand. Like with most things, there are a couple brands that are head and shoulders above the rest, a few that are pretty crappy, and everything else is adequate and in between.