PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber King???

campy man
07-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Went on a local training ride the other morning with approx 30guys. I'm not a regular with the group but jump in 2-3x a year when my schedule permits.

I'm riding about half way back in the group trying to stay out of the harms way. As the group was riding a double paceline at a steady pace I couldn't help but notice a few guys riding up next to me and giving me the look over. After a few takes they were moving over taking the wheel in front of me. As I'm drifting farther and farther back I suddenly noticed I was the only guy not riding a carbon fiber bike with nice carbon fiber wheels.

I have a nice Ti frameset with a 32H wheelset. As I'm riding near the back it was interesting watching guys make sudden moves to avoid manhole covers and other stuff in the road. Assuming they did not want to damage their wheels. I simply held my line and rolled over the top with hardly a ripple and a small smile.

Is it me or is a simple build just not cool and hints "Fred" ... to be avoided in group rides?

Asudef
07-07-2014, 05:12 PM
Its just a sort of herd mentality. I think people are either pretty new to the sport or have themselves brainwashed to think that the newest lightest carbon is worth their attention. I feel the same way about carbon bikes for what its worth.

I used to feel the same way about mountain bikes but all it took was seeing how they were used and seeing the right build that got me interested in them.

FlashUNC
07-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Has nothing to do with the bike. You're not a regular. I'm wary of any non regulars that show up to the usual group rides. I don't want to sit on the wheel of the guy I don't know and trust who could be a total sketchball.

It's nothing personal, just the nature of the beast.

chiasticon
07-07-2014, 05:38 PM
what FlashUNC said. i'll avoid new people until i learn that they're safe, etc.

also, on most of the rides that i'm on it's the opposite: the dude with the most upper tier bike, kit and flash wheels is given the eye-roll. i just say ride whatever you enjoy.

oldpotatoe
07-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Went on a local training ride the other morning with approx 30guys. I'm not a regular with the group but jump in 2-3x a year when my schedule permits.

I'm riding about half way back in the group trying to stay out of the harms way. As the group was riding a double paceline at a steady pace I couldn't help but notice a few guys riding up next to me and giving me the look over. After a few takes they were moving over taking the wheel in front of me. As I'm drifting farther and farther back I suddenly noticed I was the only guy not riding a carbon fiber bike with nice carbon fiber wheels.

I have a nice Ti frameset with a 32H wheelset. As I'm riding near the back it was interesting watching guys make sudden moves to avoid manhole covers and other stuff in the road. Assuming they did not want to damage their wheels. I simply held my line and rolled over the top with hardly a ripple and a small smile.

Is it me or is a simple build just not cool and hints "Fred" ... to be avoided in group rides?

They are the phreds, blind to the marketing shoved up their bums.

After they are on their 3rd or 4th plastic bike and wheels, you will be on your first.

thegunner
07-07-2014, 06:00 PM

After they are on their 3rd or 4th plastic bike and wheels, you will be on your first.

i've had double digit carbon frames. none of them ride as nice as my moots. enjoy the ride and don't worry so much about the bling factor :)

lil_champ
07-07-2014, 06:03 PM
That's one thing I miss about Portland- lots of Ti and custom steel mixed in with the plastic frames. I ride a big brand carbon frame, but I get cool points (in my head) for my classic Mavic/King wheels.

bcroslin
07-07-2014, 06:11 PM
Totally agree with OP but I also wonder if you're being just a little sensitive to being out there on a bike that isn't the group-ride standard. My last bike screamed FRED (in an aero-carbon-50mm-wheels way) but I'd never look down my nose at a steel, aluminum or Ti bike. Matter of fact, I always ogle the old steel bikes and secretly covet an old Colnago race light frame set.

RedRider
07-07-2014, 06:36 PM
Has nothing to do with the bike. You're not a regular. I'm wary of any non regulars that show up to the usual group rides. I don't want to sit on the wheel of the guy I don't know and trust who could be a total sketchball.

It's nothing personal, just the nature of the beast.

^ This. They were probably looking more at you than your bike. I'm always a bit wary when an "unknown" starts rotating in the paceline. It's probably (hopefully) more an issue of you demonstrating your good handling skills.

Zoodles
07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
they could be looking over because they're enthusiasts who left the steel/ti/alu/bamboo bike at home. I know I was trying to pair up with a nice vintage steel ride mixed with deep carbon wheels this weekend when we weren't strung out single file.

In our group of racers/ex racers new people are unknowns and so get shuffled back - it's rude perhaps but a safety thing.

As far as potholes go they're likely avoided because a stiff bike is nice but jarring vs concerns over damage - today's carbon is bullet proof - check out the pinkbike video of smacking frames over work tables etc...

eddief
07-07-2014, 06:55 PM
and be free of what the rest of the world thinks is important. Create your own sense of importance grasshopper, breathe the fresh air, work those muscles, enjoy the ride. Titanium is the better ride...of course.

soulspinner
07-07-2014, 06:55 PM
You should have seen the looks on peoples faces when my little brother used to drop people on a touring bike................seated :eek:

campy man
07-07-2014, 08:06 PM
just a simple observation from the back of the go fast world, no hurt feelings.

surprised that carbon fiber is so dominate in group rides. not a single titanium or steel bike in the group. they're going to freak when i roll out on my lugged steel frame with a quill stem. :banana:

witcombusa
07-07-2014, 08:13 PM

Yes, group rides should be avoided...

rnhood
07-07-2014, 08:14 PM
Keep riding with them and start rotating at the front. You will quickly acclimate and be accepted - they will be comfortable with you. Its nothing to do with the bike. Nobody cares. On our fast group rides we get all kinds of bikes.

dekindy
07-07-2014, 08:20 PM
When I was around the racer types with my Schwinn Paramount they used to comment that they wished they had a comfortable riding lugged steel frame for training. So you must be a Fred!:rolleyes:

Charles M
07-07-2014, 09:11 PM

I think it's likely just you... (doubt they were thinking what you were and or noted it at all)

zap
07-07-2014, 10:23 PM
I think it's likely just you... (doubt they were thinking what you were and or noted it at all)

This.

And yes, carbon composite is king, so is al and ti and steel if it's properly designed and built.

fogrider
07-07-2014, 10:53 PM
also if you leave a gap, it will get filled. group rides all have their own feel. if there are younger riders that are full of energy and the pace is high, gaps get filled...but I'm the guy with the steel bike and yes, even in my small group, almost everyone is on carbon.

I've been in the mid-west this week (no hills to speak of) and was able to ride a heavy city bike around. it was good to get out and spin around. I would think weigh is not as much an issue when there are no hills. but guys still buy carbon here!

07-08-2014, 01:00 AM
Pretty much echoing others here:

Everyone is leery of a new rider in a pace line until they've seen you ride enough. If you let gaps open or don't pull through smoothly or ride at erratic speeds or any of twenty other things, they will classify you as a risk.

You may ride over a manhole cover that they ride around, but that cover in the wet may be slick and dangerous, so they may just be more careful. However, there are lots of newbie riders with expensive bikes on group rides who overreact to anything, and they have spent so much on wheels and frames that good racing riders wouldn't even think to race on that they want everything to remain pristine. You can usually spot the serious racers because their bikes are well worn, have a film of burned-in grime, and have some crash marks. You can also usually tell who they are by how they ride -- they ride close and do everything with minimum expenditure of energy. It's pretty obvious when you see it, pretty obvious when a rider isn't doing the same.

So I think you have two things going -- wannabe riders on expensive bikes who are skeptical of you because you don't overreact to everything like they do, and experienced riders who are just watching you until they know you're safe.

holliscx
07-08-2014, 01:51 AM
Freds look at what kind of frame and wheels everyone else rides and worry about it post ride. Just saying.

Bob Ross
07-08-2014, 08:31 AM
it was interesting watching guys make sudden moves to avoid manhole covers and other stuff in the road. Assuming they did not want to damage their wheels. I simply held my line and rolled over the top with hardly a ripple and a small smile.

Slight thread drift -- About 8 years ago one of my cycling mentors made an observation that has stuck with me ever since:

"When did a manhole cover flush with the pavement suddenly become an 'obstacle' to be avoided?!?!"

sitzmark
07-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Slight thread drift -- About 8 years ago one of my cycling mentors made an observation that has stuck with me ever since:

"When did a manhole cover flush with the pavement suddenly become an 'obstacle' to be avoided?!?!"

Because so many of them aren't "flush" with the pavement ... at least here in New England. Apparently setting them flush isn't an objective. I avoid them on the bike and in the vehicle. Water Dept. covers are almost never flush - usually 1-1.5" down.

josephr
07-08-2014, 08:42 AM
also if you leave a gap, it will get filled. group rides all have their own feel. if there are younger riders that are full of energy and the pace is high, gaps get filled...but I'm the guy with the steel bike and yes, even in my small group, almost everyone is on carbon.

I've been in the mid-west this week (no hills to speak of) and was able to ride a heavy city bike around. it was good to get out and spin around. I would think weigh is not as much an issue when there are no hills. but guys still buy carbon here!

yep....they're not checking out your bike, they're just checking for space/distance etc and if a slight gaps opens, they'd rather fill it to keep the group together. I'd guess this is a group that rides together a lot and stays tight in the pacelines...sounds like a pretty well-disciplined group. if you want to keep riding with this group, hold your place in line and take your share of pulls. you'll be just fine.
Joe

benb
07-08-2014, 08:45 AM
These guys might have been giving you a wary eye because you're new to the group but I'm sure they were looking at your bike too.

Cyclists (at least the kind that frequent group rides and races) are major followers IMO, part of that is doing the same thing everyone else is doing, whether that is using the "right kind of bike" or "wearing the right clothes" or "eating the right stuff", etc.. Groupthink replaces critical thinking in a lot of cycling thought processes.

If you were mimicking their clothing/equipment/etc.. choices already there would be a slightly faster acceptance of you into their group. Same thing if you were a known racer or some of them recognized your name for winning something.. automatic faster acceptance into the group.

Bob Ross
07-08-2014, 11:02 AM
Water Dept. covers are almost never flush - usually 1-1.5" down.

Oh yeah, those (and the gas co. equivalents) are lethal; I think the very act of installing one of those causes a sinkhole to form around it.

FlashUNC
07-08-2014, 12:06 PM

Even ones around here that are flush can wobble thanks to a bad install or loose pavement etc etc, or just tend to be slicker than hog snot.

Basic rule always applies, guy in front doesn't lead everyone else behind him through crap, and points out the crap when it is there.

estuche
07-08-2014, 07:43 PM

Hahaha plastic frame, hadn't heard that one! I'm such a newbie :)