PDA

View Full Version : Rapha Hooded Wind Jacket

StephenBoynton
07-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Jacket: http://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/hooded-wind-jacket/product/HWJ01

As you can tell by my previous post i am interested in purchasing a rain/ wind jacket.

Does anyone own the Rapha Hooded Wind Jacket? How durable is it? Does it pack down into a jersey pocket? Does it properly keep you dry during a serious rain shower? Its advertized as a wind jacket that is water resistant, but i would mostly be using it to shield from rain showers. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

chiasticon
07-07-2014, 04:09 PM
i've got one and love it. i use it as just a casual windbreaker though; haven't used it on the bike at all. i do, however, also have their city wind jacket (the clear one that's also on clearance right now) and it's very comparable. in fact i'd say it's exactly the same except for color and a hood. the material and fit appear to be exactly the same. i do wear that one on the bike and in fact i like it better as a "just in case" jacket than their wind or rain jackets specifically because it packs down smaller and lighter than those two. the addition of a hood (versus the hooded jacket you're looking at) wouldn't change that much. i have worn the city wind jacket out in the rain and it's like anything else advertised as wind first and water second: you'll be dry within it in a light rain for a reasonable amount of time, but pouring rain and/or extended amounts of time and you'll be soaked.

Asudef
07-07-2014, 05:06 PM
Its not rain proof, just mildly water resistant. I have an old city wind shirt that feels of similar material and riding in hazy fog/drizzle it just soaks thru once water saturates the surface.

buldogge
07-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Wind jackets aren't, and shouldn't be, water resistant/proof...they need to be breathable.

Take a look at the older (if you can find one) Patagonia Houdini, or perhaps the CAMP Magic...

- Mark in, umm, somewhere between Asheville and Greenville, NC

chasea
07-07-2014, 08:25 PM
The City Riding Wind Jacket is one of my favorite pieces. I do not, however, recommend it as a rain jacket for racing and training. I would go with the Classic Rain Jacket for that purpose. It's light and easily fits into a jersey pocket.

The wind jacket, besides not being water proof, has a hood that can roll up and strapped across the neck, but not zipped up and stowed. You'll feel it catch wind. It is, for this reason, better suited for commuting duties.

The old City Riding Wind Jacket, which I believe is still available in the clearance section in a few sizes, had no hood and was perfect for racers looking to still show off team kit.