PDA

View Full Version : Short 25 Tire Recommendations

pjmsj21
07-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Having some clearance issues with my Campy brakes, I am looking for a shorter 25 tire. I am currently running Cont GP4000s and the clearance is pretty tight but would like to stay with 25's. Any suggestions?

p nut
07-07-2014, 01:09 PM
Would getting a wider clearance brakes be a solution? I was looking into the same issue, but for 32 tires. Unfortunately, a brake with more top of the arch clearance does not exist in my case.

pjmsj21
07-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Would getting a wider clearance brakes be a solution? I was looking into the same issue, but for 32 tires. Unfortunately, a brake with more top of the arch clearance does not exist in my case.

I'm looking at sourcing an older set of Campy brakes (in black) but haven't come across any as of yet.....thus looking a tire change as a solution....at least for now.

Tony Edwards
07-07-2014, 01:32 PM
I just ran into this precise issue, with these same tires, in trying to build up my Duende over the past couple of weeks. I was attempting to run dual-pivot Chorus skeletons front and rear, and didn't have enough rear clearance for 25c GP 4000 IIs's. I ended up buying a set of mid-2000s Record Titanium differential brakes on the 'Bay. They provide significantly better clearance and it was enough to work for me (though still pretty tight). I don't really have substantive suggestions for slightly smaller 25c's, other than to say that I tried Michelin Race Pro 3s (just slipped in a wheel from my other bike to check clearance) and they were basically just as bad as the Contis.

teleguy57
07-07-2014, 01:55 PM
I put a small washer 2mm) between the fork and brake on my skeleton SRs, which move the brake forward enough to give a scootch (technical measurement term) more clearance. It's the dual pivot front that causes the clearance challenge.