PDA

View Full Version : Search & State Bibs & Jacket

StephenBoynton
07-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Contimplating purchasing a pair of Search & State Bibs and Jacket. I have only been able to find a handful of honest user reviews on-line. Does anyone here own a pair of either? What is the quality compared to Rapha Classic Bibs? Is the Jacket only warm weather usable or can it be worn during warm weather rain showers? I live in South Florida and would like to use it all year long as a rain jacket as well as a warm weather jacket in the Winter (SOFL Winter Low 50's). Also curous about the Fit in the Jacket. I wear Medium in Rapha and Search & State Jersey. Would a Medium Fit or would i need to size up to account for additional layers? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Bibs: http://shop.searchandstate.com/collections/all/products/s1-s-riding-short-black

Jacket: http://shop.searchandstate.com/collections/all/products/s1-j-riding-jacket

beeatnik
07-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Their stuff looks homemade (sewn in Brooklyn?). If you're into that kind of thing...

Also, the fabric doesn't seem very performance oriented. The guys I know who own their kit don't wear it often. The ratio is Raphas 10 to 1.

AngryScientist
07-07-2014, 12:46 PM
to me, there seems to be a lot of folks who want to break into the custom market right at the top end. very small frame builders, this kind of kit, etc etc who want to demand top, top pricepoints. i dont get it? generally you make a name for yourself, then ramp up the price as the cult following grows. starting small and expensive is no way to grow a business IMO. who wants to take a chance on an uber expensive unknown jersey, when you can get a known commodity for the same $$. if it's inexpensive relatively - OK, i'll be willing to take a chance, but not at a premium.

Tony Edwards
07-07-2014, 01:02 PM
to me, there seems to be a lot of folks who want to break into the custom market right at the top end. very small frame builders, this kind of kit, etc etc who want to demand top, top pricepoints. i dont get it? generally you make a name for yourself, then ramp up the price as the cult following grows. starting small and expensive is no way to grow a business IMO. who wants to take a chance on an uber expensive unknown jersey, when you can get a known commodity for the same $$. if it's inexpensive relatively - OK, i'll be willing to take a chance, but not at a premium.

Yeah, I don't really get it. I can give these kinds of companies a little more slack if they are making wool and/or something distinctively stylish, but if all we're talking about is synthetics with entirely conventional designs, I don't see how companies like this can realistically compete with the big guys from a price-performance standpoint.

FastforaSlowGuy
07-07-2014, 01:03 PM

I thought buying something of questionable quality from a small, unknown, unproven company at a high price point was the very essence of Brooklyn hipsterism.

beeatnik
07-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Higher wages at 2014 Brooklyn sweatshops than 1914 Brooklyn sweatshops.

MattTuck
07-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Having never worn anything from S&S, I can't comment on the quality or fit.

As for the idea that certain items aren't worth it, or have an unjustified premium price, I can only point out that people buy (and thus pay for) stuff based on a complex mental process. Some purchases are made based on brand, function, style, prestige, etc. Or some combination of criteria.

I wonder why anyone would ever drink coke or pay for cigarettes, but people do pay for these things. All I'm say is that consumer behavior, and the question of whether an item is worth the price, is a very personal question.

nooneline
07-07-2014, 01:27 PM
I've seen and handled a fair amount of S&S stuff, and I have a pair of armwarmers. They are, without a doubt, the nicest piece of cycling clothing that I own.

A friend of mine rides in S&S bibs and jersey, and has a jacket. He absolutely loves it all. From what I can tell, the material and worksmanship are really top notch. He says that the jacket is amazingly warm (windproof) AND breathable - and it has a slight stretch to it, as i recall.

I'd assume that their high price has to do with extremely high-quality materials and manufacturing. Plus domestic manufacturing, small company w/ few economies of scale, etc.

Dead Man
07-07-2014, 01:42 PM
Scholler c_change is good stuff...

It's a little much for me, but isn't outrageous. You're not generally going to find performance soft shell jackets for MUCH less, but you definitely can.

If it fits you like a glove, $245 might very well be worth it. Fit can be a pain in the ass (wallet) with jackets. Make sure the company has a top-of-the-line warranty to go with their top-of-the-line price, and report back with your honest opinion later.

fil
07-07-2014, 01:47 PM
i dont own the jacket but based on the conditions ive seen people wearing them it might be a bit warm for florida

jmoore
07-07-2014, 02:08 PM
It's a difficult transition from a lower price point to super premium for an established company. Once you are established it's a tough road to convince people that "well the stuff was good at x price, but now it's really worth it at 3x price." That's a tough distinction to convince people of. I've struggled with this perception (at least in my mind) a bit as my prices have gone up over 3 years.

I think it would be easier to come in high and stay around there and refine than to try and jack up your prices. But you gotta bring the super high quality in the beginning so you can stick around.

It's an interesting model for sure.

raygunner
07-07-2014, 02:16 PM
I really, really, really like my Search & State jerseys but didn't care for the fit of the bibs.

StephenBoynton
07-07-2014, 02:21 PM
I really, really, really like my Search & State jerseys but didn't care for the fit of the bibs.

Are you able to compare the fit to a pair Rapha Classic Bibs?

chiasticon
07-07-2014, 02:27 PM
i don't own either garment. but i do own two of their jerseys. i like them a lot. they're just bare-bones simple and do what they're designed for. i'm interested in picking up the bibs sometime but in all honestly, since i've had great experience with rapha bibs and they're around the same price, i'd prolly just go with those again instead.

re: cost. they aren't cheap, but not terrible either. the jersey wasn't bad at least. jacket, vest and bibs are certainly pushing the high end. but i do like supporting something that's 100% designed and manufactured in the united states.

re: fit. i'm usually a small in rapha classic stuff and medium in their pro team line. i was swimming in a s&s medium jersey. small is great. and i wouldn't size up for layering as the most you'll likely be wearing is a base, jersey and jacket. should be fine.

rwerkudara
07-07-2014, 02:30 PM
I have a pair of the search & state bibs and jersey. The jersey is great, would definitely recommend it. As for the bibs, I can definitely compare the two - I wear medium in both and the search & state is a little tighter - I think they are marketed as "medium compression"? It's not as tight as a rapha pro team bib, but you'll notice it. Im 5'7" and i find the straps to be short. If you are any taller, i think it would be uncomfortable. In addition, the straps are thinner than the classic bib. I prefer wider straps to hold everything in, ha. The only positive is the chamois - to me its very similar to the rapha classic.

StephenBoynton
07-07-2014, 02:36 PM
I have a pair of the search & state bibs and jersey. The jersey is great, would definitely recommend it. As for the bibs, I can definitely compare the two - I wear medium in both and the search & state is a little tighter - I think they are marketed as "medium compression"? It's not as tight as a rapha pro team bib, but you'll notice it. Im 5'7" and i find the straps to be short. If you are any taller, i think it would be uncomfortable. In addition, the straps are thinner than the classic bib. I prefer wider straps to hold everything in, ha. The only positive is the chamois - to me its very similar to the rapha classic.

Greatly appreciate the Feedback. It's similiar to the Rapha Classic but what Search & State is missing is Rapha's amazing warranty/ Return policy.

raygunner
07-07-2014, 02:45 PM
My .02 cents about the S&S bibs was that I wear a medium in pretty much every bib and the S&S ones fit kinda loose and I didn't like that so much.

rwerkudara
07-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Greatly appreciate the Feedback. It's similiar to the Rapha Classic but what Search & State is missing is Rapha's amazing warranty/ Return policy.

I actually had an issue with the bib (pulled stitching) and I contacted them about it. Got a replacement with no questions asked.

rwerkudara
07-07-2014, 03:28 PM
My .02 cents about the S&S bibs was that I wear a medium in pretty much every bib and the S&S ones fit kinda loose and I didn't like that so much.

Interesting. Is it possible that there were changes made? I purchased the bibs when they first came out.

StephenBoynton
07-07-2014, 04:24 PM
I actually had an issue with the bib (pulled stitching) and I contacted them about it. Got a replacement with no questions asked.

How long after the original purchase?

StephenBoynton
07-07-2014, 04:26 PM
Interesting. Is it possible that there were changes made? I purchased the bibs when they first came out.

I had also heard the opposite. That the s&s bibs fit tighter than rapha classics.

devin
07-10-2014, 04:59 PM
Thank you for all the dialogue and support/feedback from those of you who own our garments. We noticed traffic coming from this site and figured I'd jump in to answer the question about our return policy. Stephen, we will honor a return or exchange if you become dissatisfied with something you buy from us, it's that simple. We won't leave you, or any of our customers hanging, I can promise that. You can reach out to me directly, devin.obrien@searchandstate.com if you have any questions at all. Thanks for your interest in our brand.

bshell
07-10-2014, 11:58 PM
that's pretty fantastic right there...

Hank Scorpio
07-11-2014, 06:53 AM
I also own both the search and state bibs and rapha classics. The fit is similar between the two with the s&s fabric being more compressive. I feel like I could have sized down in the classics as they are not compressive at all. The classic pad is larger overall but I don't find the s&s pad uncomfortable. The leg length about the same. I would say they trend on the long side. S&s are very nicely made and I would say the quality is easily on par with rapha if not better.

dekindy
07-11-2014, 07:17 AM
Never heard of them.

Roadguy
07-15-2014, 02:31 PM
If their jacket is anywhere as good as their vest it has to be great. I don't like how flappy the bottom of the vest is - not super form fitting down there but still pretty great. Material is top notch.

dieonthishill
07-30-2014, 05:29 PM
They come with a free curly mustache and temporary neck tattoos though... so you can complete the Brooklyn look :confused: