PDA

View Full Version : Fizik R3 Shoes...

oldguy00
07-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Competitive Cyclist has these on sale. Can anyone comment on how these newer models fit? Apparently it uses a wider last than the original R3 shoe. But is it still a lot narrower than Shimano, Specialized, etc?

azrider
07-07-2014, 10:13 AM
my biggest recommendation is to find size that fits. I have clown feet (12.5 street shoes) and typically buy 47/48 euro size so that I can use my own insole but with Fizik's i had to size down to 45.5.

Other than that, I am a big fan. They're super comfortable (kangaroo leather), super stiff (unlike their Fizik M5), and they look good also. I have last years version and the toe box is a little narrow so if they've corrected that great, otherwise I didn't find them "too" narrow.

macaroon
07-07-2014, 10:33 AM
From the shimano shoes I've tried, the Fiziks are perhaps a touch narrower. Similar in fit to Giros, a bit more spacious (especially in the toe box) than Sidi. Size wise, they were the same as my "street shoes" - I normally take half a size bigger for a Sidi or Shimano.

Very nice shoes, best I've used. They offer a decent amount of arch support aswell.

pakora
10-17-2014, 06:20 AM
I just got a pair of these against my better judgement (I have two pairs of road shoes) - they're just so great looking in red, which is never my criterion for bike apparel.

My question is - if they start off feeling absolutely perfect in fit, would that mean they're actually a touch too big? I have to cinch the lower strap a fair bit, but they feel absolutely perfect trying them on. All of my shoes that started perfect (Specialized 45.5s in road and mountain, all low to mid pricepoint - these are a 46) have stretched considerably, both synthetic and non. Not so much that the fit is compromised, but a pair of Sidis I beat to death got to the point where I barely had any strap left, they were so stretched.

I sweat an abnormal amount if that's a consideration i.e. my mtn shoes are soaked through after a summer ride, my road shoes saturated after a trainer ride.

Wide toe box like Spesh shoes, but a narrower rear, which is exactly how my feet are shaped. I didn't even notice the high arch - I wear superfeet insoles in my running shoes and hiking boots, but I've never noticed low arches in cycling shoes because I'm not walking in them. Maybe I will now heh.

If you've read the rave reviews of them and are skeptical, I don't lust after bike shoes at all and these are a work of art. Really they're nicer than any shoe I've owned, bike or not.

teleguy57
10-17-2014, 07:11 AM
I have a pair of the R1s, second version with more mesh which replace a set of the v1 full leather R1s with a slight warranty issue.

I wear a 46 in most other cycling shoes, 45.5 in these. I've not found them to stretch and they've been soaked a few times. Caveat is I don't know how the materials compare to the R3.

Fit on the first version was a bit wider in the toebox than in v2. I don't know how that compares to the current version or any running changes they've made to their models.

Overall, a wonderful shoe that I'd buy again (at these prices, hopefully not soon!)

Clydesdale
10-17-2014, 09:39 AM
I recently ordered some R3's. I have the non-mesh version and the size is pretty much in line with my other cycling shoes. I only have a few hundred miles on them so far but I love the things. Comfortable, extremely well made, and they fit my foot well. If anything, a little more room in the toe box than I need but not bad. Over time I may end up cinching the bottom strap pretty far, but for the comfort I'll definitely live with that. I have been really impressed with them and wouldn't hesitate to snag another pair if I had the chance.

sworcester
10-17-2014, 10:09 AM
I have an earlier version of these, looks like the biggest difference is they are only mesh on the tongue.
Mine are 45s and I wear an 11 US, maybe just a tiny bit long but have ridden them probably 4K miles. Love them.
Only complaint is the screw on rubber heel pads fall off, I have given up on them. Never found someone to mold the footbed, but I had a new set made.

I am considering buying another pair, since the meshed version would be a great summer shoe.

bcroslin
10-17-2014, 11:04 AM
I wore the R3's for years and in my experience they run about the same as shimanos. They're some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn period.

KidWok
10-17-2014, 11:47 AM
I have both the first gen and second gen...IMHO two completely different shoes. They use different soles. I bought the first gen on clearance after I picked up second gen thinking it was going to be the same shoe. With second gen, I could set up the cleats at the angle I wanted (a bit toe in) but I could not get that far with the first gen with SPDSL and CrankBrother Quattro cleats...finally made them work with Campy pro-fit. Second gen sole is much thinner. I find the fit of the second gen shoe sloppy compared to first gen...heal cup is almost non-existent and mesh/leather upper seems cut poorly and doesn't conform well to my mid-volume feet. I'm a Shimano/Lake guy and they do fit similarly to both brands. I find Shimano's uppers to be too stiff when new, but break in nicely. Lake's uppers seem to be just right balance.

Tai

I have an earlier version of these, looks like the biggest difference is they are only mesh on the tongue.
Mine are 45s and I wear an 11 US, maybe just a tiny bit long but have ridden them probably 4K miles. Love them.
Only complaint is the screw on rubber heel pads fall off, I have given up on them. Never found someone to mold the footbed, but I had a new set made.

I am considering buying another pair, since the meshed version would be a great summer shoe.

christian
10-17-2014, 12:05 PM
Ok, lock it up people. No asking about shoes on a cycling message board. :)

christian
10-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Unless they're custom shoes.

FlashUNC
10-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Fwiw, I own two pairs of the first gen R3s. Love them.

When I spoke with the Fizik rep at NAHBS in the Spring he said the sole shape and dimensions did not change with the new generation. He could have just been talking down a concerned owner off the ledge though. I don't have any experience with the new shoes.

LJohnny
10-17-2014, 12:30 PM
I have a few pairs of the first generation ones, so I can't comment on the newer ones. However, they are one of the most underrated shoes in the market, IMO. In my particular case, the only shoe I like better is the sidi wire.

As a bonus, the first generation is a great option for winter as it is all leather. I use them with assos winter socks and booties. Good to go all winter :D

KidWok
10-17-2014, 12:33 PM
http://www.roadbikeaction.com/contentimages/Lunch%20Ride%20Reviews/Fizik%20R1%20shoes%202013/02_comparesole.jpg

Fizik rep said that? That's bizarre.

Tai

FlashUNC
10-17-2014, 12:47 PM
http://www.roadbikeaction.com/contentimages/Lunch%20Ride%20Reviews/Fizik%20R1%20shoes%202013/02_comparesole.jpg

Fizik rep said that? That's bizarre.

Tai

Yup. He was adamant. Wouldn't feel any different from gen 1 to gen 2. Like I said, could have just been selling me a bill of goods.

KidWok
10-17-2014, 01:12 PM
Yup. He was adamant. Wouldn't feel any different from gen 1 to gen 2. Like I said, could have just been selling me a bill of goods.

I hadn't really thought of this before, but the second gen shoe's cleat mounting hole is slotted for more adjustability while first gen is just a hole. That might have been just enough for me to push the SPDSL cleat all the way to the edge of their range and not putting any side-load on my knees. Wasn't possible with first gen. But seriously though...I'm not pointed in that much and never had this issue with Northwave or Shimano on SPDsl. Maybe the brand just caters to duck-feet.

I could be mistaken about sole thickness since I'm now using Pro-fits on one shoe and SPDsl on another...about 7mm of difference in those alone but I could have sworn the first gen felt higher when I was trying them with other SPDsl's.

The upper is completely different though...I can't imagine you couldn't feel the difference if you had one on each shoe, which I've done.

Tai

FlashUNC
10-17-2014, 02:05 PM
I hadn't really thought of this before, but the second gen shoe's cleat mounting hole is slotted for more adjustability while first gen is just a hole. That might have been just enough for me to push the SPDSL cleat all the way to the edge of their range and not putting any side-load on my knees. Wasn't possible with first gen. But seriously though...I'm not pointed in that much and never had this issue with Northwave or Shimano on SPDsl. Maybe the brand just caters to duck-feet.

I could be mistaken about sole thickness since I'm now using Pro-fits on one shoe and SPDsl on another...about 7mm of difference in those alone but I could have sworn the first gen felt higher when I was trying them with other SPDsl's.

The upper is completely different though...I can't imagine you couldn't feel the difference if you had one on each shoe, which I've done.

Tai

Its why it struck me as a weird thing to say. Anyone with eyeballs can see the shoes were redesigned. Whether that was extensive enough to change how your foot likes the first gen vs subsequent gens is up for debate, but its clearly different.

sworcester
10-17-2014, 05:22 PM
After reading all this, I had to go back and look. I have R1s, not R3s. but the sole looks the same as the V1 of KidWoks photo