PDA

View Full Version : Pegoretti set-up for touring

Ciavete
07-06-2014, 11:21 PM
I'm a lucky owner of a Responsorium. Thinking of riding it from San Francisco to "The OC." Any insights on a touring set-up & program would be appreciated! How to set-up the Peg to carry gear. What gear (won't be camping). Routes. Bike friendly places to crash. Or anything else!

Thanks!

E

sjbraun
07-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Saddle bag with a support??

Carradice or one of large Rivendell bags.

R3awak3n
07-06-2014, 11:59 PM
Saddle bag and maybe a handlebar bag would work if you are not going to be camping. clothes on the saddle bag and everything else in the handlebar bag.

cat6
07-07-2014, 12:25 AM
just bring a credit card and toothbrush. in most cases you can fit them in your jersey pocket.

Bradford
07-07-2014, 12:29 AM
Check out Revelate bags, you should be able to fit what you need in a combo of his stuff. If you went with a large seat bag, a handle bar bag, and a frame bag, you should be good.

For gear, off the top of my head, when I credit card tour I take:

-3 sets of shirt/shorts/socks. One to ride, one to dry, one in case its too wet to dry that day
-camp suds/Dr. Bronners to wash clothes
-1 fleece, on and off bike
-1 pair convertible pants
-1 wicking t shirt (off bike, emergency on bike)
-2 pairs underwear
-tooth brush, tooth paste, comb, razor, etc.
-sun screen/lip balm
-1 rain coat/wind breaker, one and off bike
-1 baseball hat
-wallet with at least two credit cards
-tools
-tubes, spare shifter/brake cable, assorted nuts and bolts, zip ties, duct tape
-pump
-lock
-light sneakers/sandles for off bike

You probably really like your bike, and are looking forward to riding it, but you would be happier in the end if you bought a used touring bike, front low riders and bags, and either a rear rack and rack trunk, a handle bar bag, or a Revelate seat bag. Buy used, have fun, sell all when you are done. (Or keep it for your next tour).

07-07-2014, 04:14 AM
You should be taken out and drawn and quartered.

jr59
07-07-2014, 04:17 AM
Saddle bag with a support??

Carradice or one of large Rivendell bags.

this or Dill Pickle

http://www.dillpicklegear.com/store/

oliver1850
07-07-2014, 05:01 AM
warmshowers.org

echelon_john
07-07-2014, 05:12 AM
Make sure to post pictures and send some to Dario! He loves getting shots of his bikes in action.

thinpin
07-07-2014, 06:45 AM
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3926/14572389906_9c6ebee61c.jpg

JAGI410
07-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Relevate/porcelain rocket/dill pickle/swift industries...any decent bikepacking gear will work perfect. I'm excited to see the bike all set up for touring!

thwart
07-07-2014, 07:24 AM
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3926/14572389906_9c6ebee61c.jpg

POTD… so far, anyway.

sg8357
07-07-2014, 08:07 AM
Traditional Pegoretti touring setup, domestique optional.

johnny_flapjack
07-07-2014, 08:26 AM
A racer with cargo capacity you say?

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--4GNuY0od--/c_fit,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/18nbt9p4oh128jpg.jpg

oldpotatoe
07-07-2014, 08:29 AM
Traditional Pegoretti touring setup, domestique optional.

Tee-hee...I think it depends on 'support' and amount.

I would think not a lot more than a day ride, add flip flops, shorts, tshirt for after ride. Light multi tool, tube, patch kit. Moots tailgator or equivalent, no need to get real loaded, IMHO. One small bag is all.

sante pollastri
07-08-2014, 12:22 AM
I think that a pego,with his uber over sized tubes,would be a perfect rando bike.

tiretrax
07-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Pegs don't lend themselves to racks, IMHO. That said, there are a few you can bolt to the seatpost. I think Blackburn makes one with a big bag to fit it. How about a daypack? I've used one on some longer rides, but not overnight trips. I'd rather have the weight on me than out over the rear wheel.

Have a friend go by car - in the Lambo.

echelon_john
07-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Tight behind the BB for a kickstand; maybe a Flickstand can fit on the DT to keep the thing from tipping over.

This thread is like a crime spree in a parking garage...wrong on so many levels.

oldpotatoe
07-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Tight behind the BB for a kickstand; maybe a Flickstand can fit on the DT to keep the thing from tipping over.

This thread is like a crime spree in a parking garage...wrong on so many levels.

Kickstand? YGBSM....lay it on the ground, less distance to fall. Kickstands are worse that brazeon front ders.

vjp
07-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Why don't you join the Fireflies Ride in September?

Supported, raise some $$ for a good cause, fellow Peg owners...

http://www.fireflieswest.com/

tiretrax
07-08-2014, 11:29 AM

I was aware of the Euro version, but not Fireflies West. That's a great route. Hmmmm.

RedRider
07-08-2014, 11:49 AM
Dario has strong opinions on the look, construction and geometry of his frames. They are road bikes. They ride and handle very well and are beautiful. Road bikes are to be raced and Dario delivers high performance across all the models.
It's your bike and if you do add a rack, kickstand or other touring accessories you should have a great time on your trip but please don't send Dario any photos. I think he's just started to calm down from the customer who sent him photos of the fork he repainted himself because he wasn't in love with the Ciavete paint scheme!
There's a reason he will not braze mounts on his frames or discuss wider tire clearance...

fogrider
07-08-2014, 12:04 PM
A bolt on rack puts weight on the bike in the worst place, up high. I test rode it

fogrider
07-08-2014, 12:05 PM
and it was not good.

brando
07-08-2014, 12:12 PM

I've been trying to join that ride for a few months. I'm told it's full.

ColonelJLloyd
07-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Dario has strong opinions on the look, construction and geometry of his frames. They are road bikes. They ride and handle very well and are beautiful. Road bikes are to be raced and Dario delivers high performance across all the models.

I would be interested to see some pics of Pegs in a genuine road race. Maybe they're all over the place and I just haven't seen them personally.

velotrack
07-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Maybe wrong, but a bike is a bike and regardless of brand if it works it works. That being said, sandals > light shoes. They fold flat and allow your feet to take a breather.

majorpat
07-08-2014, 08:49 PM
I would be interested to see some pics of Pegs in a genuine road race. Maybe they're all over the place and I just haven't seen them personally.

If you watched a pro race in the 80's or 90's you saw plenty of Pegs under plenty of top notch racers, they just had other guys decals on them.

ColonelJLloyd
07-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Cool. How about those like the Responsorium or other models with his name on them?

AngryScientist
07-08-2014, 09:00 PM
funny that the OP posted this thread as his first post and apparently has not been back since.

i personally dont see the big deal, ultra light credit card touring is possible on literally any bicycle. the way i see it, if you're planning on crashing in hotel/motels anyway, all you really need to carry is water bottles, some flat repair kit and lightweight street clothes. i have one of the smallest carradice bags, and it's no problem to fit a few spare tubes, flip flops, spare socks, light shorts and a shirt, along with some food for the day. add a toothbrush and i can pretty much go cross country providing a route is planned correctly.

a comfortable race bike is probably the best bet for ultra light touring.

RedRider
07-08-2014, 09:56 PM
Cool. How about those like the Responsorium or other models with his name on them?

Above Category, a dealer in CA, used Pegorettis as their team bike. They always have a very competitive team. I think they were Duende frames. I also know a few guys who use them as their primary race bike but that doesn't really matter... that's what they were designed for what you do with them is your choice.

echelon_john
07-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Best troll, 2014?

funny that the OP posted this thread as his first post and apparently has not been back since.

BobbyJones
07-09-2014, 06:28 AM
he's probably actually out riding his bike.

oldpotatoe
07-09-2014, 06:46 AM

Here's one...from a while ago.

bontie
07-09-2014, 07:13 AM
Above Category, a dealer in CA, used Pegorettis as their team bike. They always have a very competitive team. I think they were Duende frames. I also know a few guys who use them as their primary race bike but that doesn't really matter... that's what they were designed for what you do with them is your choice.

Pretty sure they were Love#3's so the aluminum frames, but still Pegoretti.

A friend of mine is busy doing a lightweight bike tour at the moment. 5000 odd km in about 4 weeks. He has a stupid lightweigth tent/shelter thing in his bottlecage and a 5 kg rack that attaches to the seatpost and skewers. He carries very little on a carbon Giant TCR. I am sure the same can be done on a Pegoretti.

oldpotatoe
07-09-2014, 07:16 AM
Pretty sure they were Love#3's so the aluminum frames, but still Pegoretti.

A friend of mine is busy doing a lightweight bike tour at the moment. 5000 odd km in about 4 weeks. He has a stupid lightweigth tent/shelter thing in his bottlecage and a 5 kg rack that attaches to the seatpost and skewers. He carries very little on a carbon Giant TCR. I am sure the same can be done on a Pegoretti.

Sure it can or stay in motels...not hard. Needn't be uber-loaded and unsupported..still go the same places. I see locals here on their 30 mile ride with these HUGE rack bags on their bikes...full of stuff..I don get it.

Ciavete
07-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Whoa great replies here, thank you all. Thought I had the "instant notification" set-up but didn't - sorry I was checked-out. Plus yes, was out riding the Peg. There are 3 San Francisco to LA charity rides in September and I'm way out of shape. Thanks for the tip on the Fireflies - didn't know about that one.

In gratitude here's a picture from Dario's workshop which I was lucky to visit last month. Both beautiful, but the Luigino had me mesmerized. Thanks again to all.

vav
07-10-2014, 12:38 PM
1697883663[/ATTACH]

One of my favorite bikes in the forum.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=115788&highlight=luigino

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=101831&stc=1&d=1347577262

martl
07-10-2014, 01:03 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PQKTRN9N-7s/S797hqhzgBI/AAAAAAAAHZE/PUhvrQjlrtA/s1600/Jan+Ullrich+1996+Tour+de+France.jpg

http://de.academic.ru/pictures/dewiki/74/Jan%2Budo97.jpg

I think Jan is riding one (note the extended head tube)

Some say this is one, too: Boonens 2007 ride

http://cdn2.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/photos/2007/tech/features/boonen_specialized_roubaix/gbBoonenBike11_600.jpg

sante pollastri
07-10-2014, 01:11 PM
These all are Pinarello's and a Specialized....

Kirk007
07-10-2014, 01:50 PM

come on, we're not a bunch of melons that fell off the truck. The story behind the paint is well known for most of these bikes specifically and the practice in general. Are you claiming Dario didn't build bikes for these riders? And what is it that you seem to dislike about Pegs in general?

oldpotatoe
07-10-2014, 01:59 PM

Don't know about the spec-ed but Dario made frames for Ullrich and Indurain, among others.

sante pollastri
07-10-2014, 03:14 PM
To both above:on a frame there is the name of the builder,not the name of the blacksmith who just welded that frames.
And mr. Bond,aka 007,try to be quiet.....:)

marciero
07-10-2014, 03:42 PM
My experience loading a steel race bike (a Colnago) is that they are fine up to a point. A small saddle bag is fine-less than 5 liters or so. I dont want to notice that it's there. With, say, a Carradice Nelson Longflap with support (15+liters) the thing totally loses its character. So for most credit card-type trips I use something a little beefier.

As for handlebar bags, same thing, even more so. You have to realize that race bikes are not designed for front load. I have Ortlieb medium (okay if not filled) and compact (a little silly but works okay) On my list is the Dill Pickle, which puts the bag as close to the bars as possible (so as to affect handling the least) while still allowing fingers on the tops.

I would think that with what you would want to bring on a cross country trip, even with minimalist approach, it would not really be like riding a Pegoretti anyway, so you might as well take something that rides and handles better. There are lots of inexpensive options- a steel cross bike, for example.

With an inexpensive bike you would also not have to worry about abuse on such an extended trip.
Mike

Kirk007
07-10-2014, 04:32 PM
To both above:on a frame there is the name of the builder,not the name of the blacksmith who just welded that frames.
And mr. Bond,aka 007,try to be quiet.....:)

So Dario's a mere blacksmith. Ok Signore, thanks for setting us all straight.

tiretrax
07-10-2014, 05:28 PM
So Dario's a mere blacksmith. Ok Signore, thanks for setting us all straight.

To be fair, Dario did say "I am just a blacksmith."

Pegoretti and CyFac are two brands that are well known for making bikes for pro riders that were painted with the name of the team's supplier.

Ciavete
07-10-2014, 05:32 PM
My experience loading a steel race bike (a Colnago) is that they are fine up to a point. A small saddle bag is fine-less than 5 liters or so. I dont want to notice that it's there. With, say, a Carradice Nelson Longflap with support (15+liters) the thing totally loses its character. So for most credit card-type trips I use something a little beefier.
Mike

Yes interesting point. As the saying goes "The right tool for the right job." Steel race (even a comfortable one) - definitely no cross country or camping. A supported Pacific Coast charity ride, probably. Unsupported Pacific Coast, maybe an inexpensive touring rig would be most sensible.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in with great tips and insights.

Kirk007
07-10-2014, 05:54 PM
To be fair, Dario did say "I am just a blacksmith."

Pegoretti and CyFac are two brands that are well known for making bikes for pro riders that were painted with the name of the team's supplier.

Yes but the implication of Sante's post is that Pinarello and Specialized "built" the bikes and Dario merely welded them up to someone else's specs etc. Maybe that's the case but it seems doubtful. Moreover, the design elements like the extended top tube surely are Darios not the "manufacturers". And of course it all relates back in the thread to pegs in races. And as you rightfully point out it is well known that Peg, and others, build many bikes for pro riders that were rebranded to meet the sponsor's requirements. I suspect Sante is very well aware of this and was looking to stir the pot, and since I'm tired ofworking on a grant proposal and was taking a mental break I was happy to give it another stir. :)

tiretrax
07-10-2014, 09:07 PM
Yes but the implication of Sante's post is that Pinarello and Specialized "built" the bikes and Dario merely welded them up to someone else's specs etc. Maybe that's the case but it seems doubtful. Moreover, the design elements like the extended top tube surely are Darios not the "manufacturers". And of course it all relates back in the thread to pegs in races. And as you rightfully point out it is well known that Peg, and others, build many bikes for pro riders that were rebranded to meet the sponsor's requirements. I suspect Sante is very well aware of this and was looking to stir the pot, and since I'm tired ofworking on a grant proposal and was taking a mental break I was happy to give it another stir. :)

I was wondering if he was standing at the stove holding a long, wooden spoon. I was having trouble focussing on a long, boring conference call covering the same old stuff.

sante pollastri
07-11-2014, 01:43 AM
The Pinarello of Indurain has a Freuler geometry,with an extended HT with also an extended ST,nothing new for that time,because Atala did it in 80's....The black Specialized has got nothing distinctive of Dario works,no beefy chainstays,no Ht extension,not round tubes....
The other Telekom Pinarello were Keralite alu models
and at that time Dario was not more a Pinarello welder.

martl
07-11-2014, 05:27 AM
To be frank, I have no detailed insider information.
I believe it is undisputed that Dario worked as a contractor for Pinarello in the nineties and built for the pros. He also has the distinguished feature of the longer head- and seat tube, freuler style. I don't know if there are other distinguished features.
Indurain, Ullrich and Riis are all documented to have raced on bikes with those longer head tubes, while other teammates didn't - see bölts above.
Also, to my knowledge there wasn't any pinarello production frame with that feature.

round
07-11-2014, 05:55 AM
maybe this guy knows something more and properly.......

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1062751#post1062751

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1062751&postcount=9

sante pollastri
07-11-2014, 06:03 AM
There is a bit of confusion,here.
From the above pics,you can see that all that frames had the Freuler geometry because that riders were tall,the head tube elevation Dario make,is for not quill stems.
He also,like subcontractor,made frames for everybody,not only pros,he made dyna and radius for mass production like others Pinarello subcontractors.
Ullrich and Riis rode alu frames named keralite,nothing to do with the steel frames welded by Dario,only the forks were steel made.
Other than internet era legends,Dario for sure welded the Pinarello frame in max tubes for Eros Poli,and this is written by Dario himself on this forum.
The Boonen frame lack all the distintictive features of a Dario frame,there is only the level top tube,but this no enough,IMO.

jr59
07-11-2014, 06:12 AM

Maybe indeed!!!:banana:

Thanks for your input as always.

sante pollastri
07-11-2014, 06:18 AM
I think that after 25 years,the C.I.A archives can be opened,and could be the time to disclose all the world the truth,leaving back all the e-legends.

Kirk007
07-11-2014, 11:21 AM
back to the point of the op: I've started using this Swift Industries bag and a Carradice Bagman support (the support makes all the difference - keeping the bag out of the way of leg movement). It's pictured here on a 29er but I've used in with my Kirk (which isn't designed with the pure race philosophy of your peg).

I don't know whether it, in itself would be enough for overnight; depends on your conditions. I don't like cramming my jersey pockets full of the gear necessary for an all day ride in variable conditions: rain jacket, leg/arm warmers, hat, food etc. and find this bag a much more comfortable and elegant solution. Much like the Dill Pickle products but more "colorful." I've also used a klick on Ortlieb handlebar bag that is very well constructed. Use both and you could definitely be good for days of credit card/hotel trekking.

Ciavete
07-11-2014, 11:32 AM
Thanks Kirk007. Great design on that Carradice support.

Kirk007
07-11-2014, 12:35 PM
by the way the Bagmans are a bit hard to find right now - Ben's Cycle had 'em when I ordered mine last month.

martl
07-11-2014, 04:46 PM
@Sante: i'll ask Dario next time i see him. I honestly don't know if that Speci is a Pego or not. I read that Boonen used one in 2007 and i found that pic. Doesn't look like a default Speci to me.
I think we can take it for granted that Pegos have been raced at the highest level.

~original poster: A Pego is meant to be ridden. If you want to take baggage that's fine. Friend of mine came up with a similar idea for multi-day rides (he likes to hop on a train, go somewhere beautiful, ride a couple of days self-sustained and hitch a train back). He dubs it the "behind-set" because the original idea was to clamp an Ahead-set stem to the seatpost, add a shortened handlebar and attach a small baggage carrier. Details see here (its german, tho - klick on the linnks for pictures):
http://www.behindset.de/photos.htm

don'T think it disgraces a proper racebike, even a Peg.

cinema
07-11-2014, 05:08 PM
you can order the bagman straight from carradice. they don't gouge you too much on shipping and the price you see online is actually with VAT so it comes out to be even cheaper. Done this a couple times and it never takes more than 1-2 weeks to receive.

I would however advise against them simply because they're cumbersome and an eyesore. I don't like proprietary stuff in general. the bagman limits the position of your saddle as they take up rail space. the loops are fine. sway isn't a real issue if your bag is designed well with a good dowel and you really strap it in tight. if you simply don't have clearance and the bag will rub against the rear tire the bagman solution could work, but if you slam your saddle all the way forward it won't. perhaps something like this would work http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&product_id=136#prettyPhoto

Best way to go is with something like a revelate visacha bag, frame bag (custom is even better). a roll pack upfront could work too if your bars are wide enough. I believe a marks rack will work with no braze ons too.

Kirk007
07-11-2014, 05:17 PM
my experience with the Bagman is different. Granted the two saddles I've tried it with, a Brooks and a Rivet have a good bit of rail behind the clamps. It takes about 2 minutes to attach/remove and that is that. It disappears when the bag is attached, and it has a built in quick release to take the bag with you. Ok it does look dorky when the bags not attached, but for occasional use on a road bike and on a commmuter I can live with that.

I couldn't get the swift bag to not rub against my hamstring/back of leg and it was annoying (yeah I've got linebacker not biker legs).

you can order the bagman straight from carradice. they don't gouge you too much on shipping and the price you see online is actually with VAT so it comes out to be even cheaper. Done this a couple times and it never takes more than 1-2 weeks to receive.

I would however advise against them simply because they're cumbersome and an eyesore. I don't like proprietary stuff in general. the bagman limits the position of your saddle as they take up rail space. the loops are fine. sway isn't a real issue if your bag is designed well with a good dowel and you really strap it in tight. if you simply don't have clearance and the bag will rub against the rear tire the bagman solution could work, but if you slam your saddle all the way forward it won't. perhaps something like this would work http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=product&under=range&product_id=136#prettyPhoto

vav
07-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Here's one...from a while ago.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697883625&stc=1&d=1404906406

And if you want to ride it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-PINARELLO-VUELTA-STEEL-58-57-FRAME-BANESTO-TEAM-/261441359263?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item3cdf1e8d9f

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/811/htyq.jpg

sante pollastri
07-24-2014, 09:31 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697883625&stc=1&d=1404906406

And if you want to ride it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-RARE-PINARELLO-VUELTA-STEEL-58-57-FRAME-BANESTO-TEAM-/261441359263?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item3cdf1e8d9f

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1280x1024q90/811/htyq.jpg

this frame is lugged,Indurain's was tigged.

vav
07-24-2014, 09:36 PM
I know :) I just thought of this thread when I saw this frame on Ebay

gdw
07-24-2014, 10:10 PM
The headset on that Pinarello doesn't look right.

Admiral Ackbar
07-24-2014, 10:12 PM
i think its just distortion front he camera lens making it look funny

weehastogopee
07-24-2014, 11:51 PM
I did a tour with a friend a year ago, and he used an 80s pinarello race bike...not the most ideal set up, but we had rear racks and panniers and it worked just fine.

We used the Axion Streamliner rack which mounts to race bikes without braze ons.

Random question...probably not the right place to ask, but what is the purpose of the extended headtube?

and also question for oldpotatoe- I saw you wrote on the first page kick stands are worse than braze on front derailleurs.. or something like that.
Whats wrong with braze one derailleurs?

Anarchist
07-25-2014, 12:53 AM

Priceless! You have got a wicked sense of humour!

mistermo
07-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Back to the OPs question, DO IT!

I have some friends who recently did a credit card tour of the Tetons. Among the "touring" bikes was a ti Ericksen, a ti Litespeed, and few carbon Treks. There were several setups that ranged from seatpost mounted racks, to racks that had non-permanent attachments to the seat stays and brake bridge. No one had any issues. In fact, no one had anything but fun. These guys don't hang out here on the forum and had never been told they can't ride carbon or ti road bikes as credit card touring bikes.