PDA

View Full Version : OT: Rolling Coal

bcroslin
07-06-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm pretty sure it was in this very forum that someone mentioned ignorant rednecks chip their diesels to belch black smoke.

Slate confirms it (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/07/rolling_coal_conservatives_who_show_their_annoyanc e_with_liberals_obama.html)

avalonracing
07-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Losers... May they live in the filth they create. The sad part is that we all have to.

Dead Man
07-06-2014, 07:59 PM
How bout this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY

pbarry
07-06-2014, 08:17 PM
I'm pretty sure it was in this very forum that someone mentioned ignorant rednecks chip their diesels to belch black smoke.

Slate confirms it (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/07/rolling_coal_conservatives_who_show_their_annoyanc e_with_liberals_obama.html)

IF that truck has the OEM 6.2, then that's about standard for that engine when you put your foot in it. It probably has a Banks Turbo which makes the exhaust particulate greater. That engine gets 20-22 mpg if you don't hot-rod it..

My '76 MB 115 does the same thing under load. New diesel engines are a whole different animal.

So you know: I'm a Prius lover and would own one or a Volt/Leaf if my income allowed.

Cicli
07-06-2014, 08:21 PM
I teach diesel technology. Its a bummer the EPA dosent go after these idiots for defeating an emissions device.

pbarry
07-06-2014, 08:22 PM
I teach diesel technology. Its a bummer the EPA dosent go after these idiots for defeating an emissions device.

There weren't any when that truck was built.

avalonracing
07-06-2014, 08:59 PM
How bout this gem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY

I really is amazing how one loser can be hateful to so many people he doesn't even know. It really tests your faith in man. And 1-10 odds that he spends the rest of the day talking about what a freedom-loving American and good Christian he is.

pbarry
07-06-2014, 09:33 PM
I really is amazing how one loser can be hateful to so many people he doesn't even know. It really tests your faith in man. And 1-10 odds that he spends the rest of the day talking about what a freedom-loving American and good Christian he is.

That Cummins looks like it might be using OR diesel, same as #2 fuel oil, and illegal in all 50 states for road use.

That said, don't know why you chose to go "there" in your last sentence. :confused:

Dead Man
07-06-2014, 09:43 PM
I think everyone is guilty of the Us V. Them mentality. We stereotype people, especially our enemies. Neat pigeon holes. I think it's a bunch of ignorant assumptions about bicyclists that causes people to act like that toward us- read the comments on the video, and you'll see plenty of these incorrect assumptions. We're "fags" who "think we own the road" and "never follow traffic laws." So we're deserving of whatever abuse a motorist wants to throw at us.

We can't allow ourselves to be guilty of the same sentiments toward "them." Because there is no "them," just the "them" we've constructed in our minds, just like "them."

PJN
07-06-2014, 09:48 PM
When I lived in Colorado I called this number all the time:

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDPHE-AP/CBON/1251594448796

I encourage everyone else out there to do the same when you get dumped on.

#····em'

Edit: calling that number use to result in a $25 ticket being mailed to the driver of the truck. Now it just looks like they get mailed a phamplet. Guess it isn't worth it - just more weight.

pbarry
07-06-2014, 09:48 PM
I think everyone is guilty of the Us V. Them mentality. We stereotype people, especially our enemies. Neat pigeon holes. I think it's a bunch of ignorant assumptions about bicyclists that causes people to act like that toward us- read the comments on the video, and you'll see plenty of these incorrect assumptions. We're "fags" who "think we own the road" and "never follow traffic laws." So we're deserving of whatever abuse a motorist wants to throw at us.

We can't allow ourselves to be guilty of the same sentiments toward "them." Because there is no "them," just the "them" we've constructed in our minds, just like "them."

Please don't include me in your little set-up here. You like to stir the pot, and that's ok, but I'm not part of it.

ceolwulf
07-06-2014, 10:35 PM
Didn't need Slate to confirm that, I see it all the time.

The more of them in the cab the better odds they'll pass the defenceless cyclist at about 120 decibels in a massive cloud of carcinogens. It's just sooooooo funny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elefantino
07-06-2014, 10:47 PM
Look at the license plate.

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2014/07/140702_POL_PickupTruckSmokestacks.jpg.CROP.promova r-mediumlarge.jpg

Figures.

And I consider myself, by virtue of living 16 years there, part Floridian.

Dead Man
07-06-2014, 11:40 PM
Please don't include me in your little set-up here. You like to stir the pot, and that's ok, but I'm not part of it.

I was backing up your comment, in a diplomatically ambiguous way. At least that's what I was trying to do.

unterhausen
07-07-2014, 01:34 AM
I looked this up when I got smoked a few years ago. There was no acceleration, just a slight change in engine note and a nearly perfectly cylindrical cloud of smoke from the truck's exhaust. Then the driver went back to a normal setting. I was familiar with "chips" or "performance modules" from my days as the owner of an American performance car.

google will confirm it, no reason to go to slate for confirmation. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=diesel+power+modules+performance+chi p+tuners
Any chip worth buying will allow you to go with stock tune, a lean tune, a slightly rich tune. Pathetic antisocial morons will add a tune that dumps way too much fuel, and thus get smoke. These are people that are seething with impotent rage due to the fact that they areally are pretty worthless to society when it comes right down to it. Many of them hang the only pair of nuts they own on their hitch. You can't buy manhood.

Cicli
07-07-2014, 03:07 AM
That Cummins looks like it might be using OR diesel, same as #2 fuel oil, and illegal in all 50 states for road use.

That said, don't know why you chose to go "there" in your last sentence. :confused:

OR diesel is the same thing as highway without the tax. The red dye is to indicate there has been no road tax paid. Its been alot of years since it was different.

malcolm
07-07-2014, 11:10 AM

what is OR diesel? Agricultural diesel is red, basically the same just dyed so it can be detected because no road taxes have been added. It's what I used to use in my diesel boat. Marinas sell it because it doesn't have the added tax, but it burns exactly the same. Huge fine for using it on the highway. State troopers used to periodically check trucks for red diesel during stops.

It's really sad going through life an ignorant dumb ass is no way to live. (directed toward the "coal rollers"

fuzzalow
07-07-2014, 11:52 AM
It's really sad going through life an ignorant dumb ass is no way to live. (directed toward the "coal rollers"

HaHa! Ain't it the truth, well at least evident to anyone but a "coal roller".

'Cos part of the skill of staying an ignorant dumb ass is the self delusion in thinkin' that being a ignorant dumb ass is somehow not in fact being an ignorant dumb ass. Easy to do - just keep company only with other ignorant dumb asses. Consider it as water seeking its own level. Or call it security in dunders.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-07-2014, 12:42 PM

oldpotatoe
07-07-2014, 01:24 PM
So ignorant that they're ignorant of their own ignorance.

Love the pic of the hitch "sack." Wonder if the blue color has any meaning.

Bumper sticker seen....
"Nice truck, sorry about the penis"

goonster
07-07-2014, 01:31 PM
Since we are talking about this . . .

The popular modifications (injectors, exhaust, fuel management software) do not inevitably cause the huge clouds of soot. "Rolling coal" is almost always a deliberate act, combining high throttle input with and upshift (tall gearing, low rpm). Stepping on the throttle when you are overgeared results in poor acceleration . . . and clouds of black soot.

In that classic youtube clip of the jerk "rolling" the cyclists on a Colorado mountain road, as best I can tell, the driver is upshifting every time he passes a cyclist.

saab2000
07-07-2014, 02:29 PM
A bit of a tangent here but there seems to be antipathy and antagonism of anyone who seems to try to 'do the right thing'. I use reusable bags at the grocery store. I keep them in my car and bring a few in when I go. I got called out by a friend who observed this practice as an environmental wacko. ···? Just seems like common sense and most stores actually credit you a nickel per bag for using them.

Sorry for the off track but whoever it was who mentioned ignorance is spot on.

I don't do it for the nicely but that doesn't suck either.

fiataccompli
07-07-2014, 02:46 PM
for whatever it may be worth, I have a friend who last year was in the market for a used heavy duty diesel work truck for his business. In his price range, he was looking at used trucks, many with a lot of miles & many with various computer/chip/intake/exhaust/programmable/etc. modifications. It was an eye opener to me to hear him report back (I was providing some mechanical/purchase advice) how many were owned buy young guys who had spent good money adding a chip setting so the truck could 'roll coal'...I didn't know what that meant at the time, but I was familiar with kids with modified diesels throwing gratuitous amounts of over-fueling into their engines & the smoke that it developed. I always thought they were just dumbasses who had mismatched performance mods...it didn't occur to me they actually thought that was cool. My friend steered himself towards a truck that had a programmable chip that does a lot of useful stuff, none of which involves over-richening the engine or producing gratuitous smoke!

I see botched attempts at rolling coal on pacelines every now & then and try to muster empathy for what it must be like to go through life with anatomical inadequacies! haha

pbarry
07-07-2014, 06:01 PM
I was backing up your comment, in a diplomatically ambiguous way. At least that's what I was trying to do.

Ha! Ttotally went over my head. Subtle but I get it. :beer:

pbarry
07-07-2014, 06:11 PM
what is OR diesel? Agricultural diesel is red, basically the same just dyed so it can be detected because no road taxes have been added. It's what I used to use in my diesel boat. Marinas sell it because it doesn't have the added tax, but it burns exactly the same. Huge fine for using it on the highway. State troopers used to periodically check trucks for red diesel during stops.

Current standards: Off road diesel has a Sulfur content of 500 ppm, and on-road is15 ppm. "Old" diesel was all the same but for the road tax: 5,000ppm.

malcolm
07-07-2014, 07:36 PM
Current standards: Off road diesel has a Sulfur content of 500 ppm, and on-road is15 ppm. "Old" diesel was all the same but for the road tax: 5,000ppm.

thx. I had no idea, also didn't know the sulfur was that high or that it is now that low. OR is off road, is that the same as agricultural or do they even use that term anymore?

AngryScientist
07-07-2014, 07:45 PM
this is an eyeopener for me. never knew people did this?? it hurts my engineering brain to think that people intentionally WANT their diesels to smoke. just crazy.

pbarry
07-07-2014, 07:45 PM
thx. I had no idea, also didn't know the sulfur was that high or that it is now that low. OR is off road, is that the same as agricultural or do they even use that term anymore?

Right?? The old stuff was really toxic, especially in cities.

Ag and off road diesel are one in the same. Nomenclature varies widely. :)

AngryScientist
07-07-2014, 07:48 PM
the way i understand it is the "old stuff" is just called diesel, the "new stuff" is ULSD (ultra low sulfer diesel).

Louis
07-07-2014, 08:01 PM
I got called out by a friend who observed this practice as an environmental wacko. ···?

This might be because deep down inside the friend feels guilty about not caring as much as you do. After all, why in the world would someone else give you a hard time for doing something that could not possible hurt them?

rnhood
07-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Every time a diesel car or truck in front if me accelerates it smokes like a Chinese factory. Glad I don't own one.

pbarry
07-07-2014, 08:20 PM
the way i understand it is the "old stuff" is just called diesel, the "new stuff" is ULSD (ultra low sulfer diesel).

ULSD is 15 ppm.

NRLM [non-road locomotive marine] is 50 ppm for 2007 and earlier years.

pbarry
07-07-2014, 08:28 PM
Every time a diesel car or truck in front if me accelerates it smokes like a Chinese factory. Glad I don't own one.

Diesel engines are substantially more efficient than gas, and built this country after the Big One, and continue to do so. Almost none of the consumer and industrial goods we all enjoy would be available without the diesel.

gasman
07-07-2014, 08:30 PM
I never knew there were so many grades of diesel nor had I heard of rolling coal. Learn something every day.Some of it I wished I didn't know-like rolling coal.

Lewis Moon
07-07-2014, 09:35 PM
EPA ses it's illegal (http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/epa-coal-rolling-short-answer-illegal)

pbarry
07-07-2014, 09:44 PM
Yeah, enforcement is the problem. OPEN weigh stations on interstate highways were few and far between last time I drove cross-country.

unterhausen
07-07-2014, 09:48 PM
In that classic youtube clip of the jerk "rolling" the cyclists on a Colorado mountain road, as best I can tell, the driver is upshifting every time he passes a cyclist.the time I was smoked, there was an obvious change in engine note, but no upshifting or change in speed. Then when he turned off the smoke the engine note changed back to normal. The chips come with a switch to change between gas saving, high power, etc. Typically, they have five settings. I can think of good reasons to have three: normal, a little lean, and a little rich.

Lewis Moon
07-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Yeah, enforcement is the problem. OPEN weigh stations on interstate highways were few and far between last time I drove cross-country.

I work for an environmental agency in a state that does emissions checks.

pbarry
07-07-2014, 10:14 PM

I live in one too. My post was referring to spot checks for weight and fuel type usage for heavy dual axle vehicles. LD trucks could be inspected for ajustable chips if the legislation was in place.

unterhausen
07-07-2014, 10:28 PM
I think California checks for modifications, but they may be alone in doing that. Most of the coal-rollers live in places without emissions checks. Pennsylvania has one, but it's a visual check to make sure your vehicle still has cats. Even in Utah, where they do a tailpipe check, you could modify the car but as long as it didn't fail the tailpipe test it was ok. So the fact that these diesel mods allow you to return the engine control to stock with the flip of a switch means they will not be caught in most states, even if they do a tailpipe check.

Elefantino
07-07-2014, 11:14 PM
I believe that it is every American's God-given right to behave as kindly or as angrily as he or she wishes.

There seems to be more and more of the latter, from politics to the public and everything in between. Then again, no one said freedom of expression doesn't have consequences.

Jaq
07-08-2014, 12:36 AM
A bit of a tangent here but there seems to be antipathy and antagonism of anyone who seems to try to 'do the right thing'. I use reusable bags at the grocery store. I keep them in my car and bring a few in when I go. I got called out by a friend who observed this practice as an environmental wacko. ···? Just seems like common sense and most stores actually credit you a nickel per bag for using them.

Sorry for the off track but whoever it was who mentioned ignorance is spot on.

I don't do it for the nicely but that doesn't suck either.

Well...

If you use a reusable bag and don't keep it clean, then you run the risk of accumulating food-borne bacteria in your bag (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/07/plastic-bag-ban_n_2641430.html).

If you do wash your reusable bag, then you use the resources (energy, water, etc) that you were supposed to save by using reusable bags.

Or you can pay 10 cents per recycled paper bag (the current cost per paper bag in Los Angeles).

oldpotatoe
07-08-2014, 06:41 AM

Even when I put my foot into my Jetta TDI, it smokes not at all...Glad I do own one..particularly since diesel $ and regular gas $ is only about $.10 difference..and I get 40+ mpg, mixed driving, 47 or so on the highway.

Ahneida Ride
07-08-2014, 08:14 AM
The tile of the article is as follows:

Conservatives who show their annoyance with liberals, Obama, and the EPA by blowing black smoke from their trucks.

The implicit Logic is as follows.

People who drive diesel spewing whacked out trucks are Conservative.
Driving whacked out diesel spewing trucks is only for nut-jobs
Thus all Conservatives are nut-jobs.

Let's try this logic again,

Animals with sharp teeth and bite people are dogs.
Biting people is very dangerous.
Thus all dogs are dangerous.

Another attempt

People who block roads and slow traffic are cyclists.
Blocking traffic and slowing traffic is uncivilized.
Thus all Cyclists are uncivilized.

Ok ..... now let's pick a target group .. say Libertarians.
and here we go ....

People who use cell phones while driving are Libertarians.
Use of a cell while driving increase the risk of an accident 20 times.
Thus all Libertarians are risky drivers.

This distorted logic is frequently used by the progenitors of our
one party system to divide and conquer. Watch for it.

redir
07-08-2014, 08:19 AM
This might be because deep down inside the friend feels guilty about not caring as much as you do. After all, why in the world would someone else give you a hard time for doing something that could not possible hurt them?

It's called culture war. Some on the far right think that anyone who rides a bike to work is a far left liberal and it's an attack on their life style. They take it to the extreme.

I believe that it is every American's God-given right to behave as kindly or as angrily as he or she wishes.

There seems to be more and more of the latter, from politics to the public and everything in between. Then again, no one said freedom of expression doesn't have consequences.

A Libertarian point of view? To be clear a true Libertarian would object to rolling coal as it causes harm to persons and property. Sure you can be a D-bag all you want, that's your freedom of choice but when it affects another person or property then it's not acceptable, crosses the line of expression.

Ahneida Ride
07-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Here is a most disturbing video ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV7lO_1kWfo

redir
07-08-2014, 08:33 AM
What the hell does that have to do with rolling coal?

Schmed
07-08-2014, 08:34 AM
Even when I put my foot into my Jetta TDI, it smokes not at all...Glad I do own one..particularly since diesel $ and regular gas $ is only about $.10 difference..and I get 40+ mpg, mixed driving, 47 or so on the highway.

I have a 2009 3/4 ton Dodge diesel. No smoke no matter what I do with the 'go' pedal. Since 2007, all diesels have DPF (diesel particulate filters) and much more emissions equipment. Our 2004 diesel burps black smoke if you floor it since it doesn't have the DPF.

Some owners of post-2007 trucks remove the DPF (illegally) to improve fuel milage (2-3 mpg better) and/or be able to roll coal.

bcroslin
07-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Here is a most disturbing video ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV7lO_1kWfo

Huh? What's that got to do with diesel trucks?

sg8357
07-08-2014, 09:06 AM
So who wants to rig a Van DeGraf generator on their Chevy Volt ?

Here is a real coal roller, coal gas powered car, none of that foreign oil for this guy.

avalonracing
07-08-2014, 09:40 AM

You are right, no need to go there. Not relevant or fair.
Anyway he just as well may be a Buddhist as he fits the stereotype.

Elefantino
07-08-2014, 10:04 AM
A Libertarian point of view? To be clear a true Libertarian would object to rolling coal as it causes harm to persons and property. Sure you can be a D-bag all you want, that's your freedom of choice but when it affects another person or property then it's not acceptable, crosses the line of expression.
Not so much Libertarian as Ignoretarian.

If someone belches smoke in front of me, well, they hate and there's not a lot I can do about it except ignore it. Same with people who bleat about "our side vs. the other side" in politics or religion (of course, what's the difference?) or sports or whatever. People get torqued. Why add to it?

redir
07-08-2014, 10:23 AM
Not so much Libertarian as Ignoretarian.

If someone belches smoke in front of me, well, they hate and there's not a lot I can do about it except ignore it. Same with people who bleat about "our side vs. the other side" in politics or religion (of course, what's the difference?) or sports or whatever. People get torqued. Why add to it?

Oh yeah I agree because really all they are is a troll on the road and they are looking for your angry reaction. It really is best to simply ignore it as far as that goes.

john903
07-08-2014, 11:02 AM
This is an interesting topic, I have big, loud, obnoxious diesel pick ups do this occasionally too. Silly me being an old diesel mechanic from my Coast Guard days I naively thought their truck was just running like crap and was seriously in need of a tune up. Yes they must modify them to do that because as someone mentioned after 2007 the diesel you buy at the pump is ultra low sulfur I believe 15ppm. The school bus I drive is an '07 and it barley smokes on initial stat up then no smoke once it is warmed up, and our mechanics keep them in excellent tune.
Anyway have a great day.

GeorgeTSquirrel
07-08-2014, 05:17 PM

If someone spits on the ground... so be it. If someone spits on me, different scenario.

rolling coal as they drive past me is more akin to spitting on me and quickly driving away... it's disgusting, it's cowardice, it's angry... but I don't consider it freedom of expression or a right (God-given, or otherwise).

Schmed
07-08-2014, 05:28 PM
rolling coal as they drive past me is more akin to spitting on me and quickly driving away... it's disgusting, it's cowardice, it's angry... but I don't consider it freedom of expression or a right (God-given, or otherwise).

"Your Liberty To Swing Your Fist Ends Just Where My Nose Begins"

It's simply about hating cyclists and I don't get it.

I had a debate at my office yesterday. Two of us are avid cyclists. Two others started talking how they'd like to run cyclists over and "1000 points for hitting a cyclist", and how cyclists should be on the sidewalk or not out at all.

It's amazing (and I told them)... they'd slam on their brakes for a rabbit or swerve for a deer, but they want to kill any cyclist instead of tapping their brakes or moving their steering wheel 3 millimeters to the left. I've had it with people like that. No respect for human life.

avalonracing
07-08-2014, 07:23 PM
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/epa-coal-rolling-short-answer-illegal

HenryA
07-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Plenty of jackasses out there. Lots of nice people too.
Don't get all lathered up about every little slight.

Next time wave at 'em and smile.

brando
07-08-2014, 11:37 PM
really all they are is a troll on the road and they are looking for your angry reaction.

+1

Tony
07-09-2014, 12:34 AM

During the Sierra Century this year this happened to several of us. Someone yelled at a driver of a pickup truck because he came very close to the group. Called him a f@#king a hole. He backed up fast, hit the brakes and yelled obscenities, waited for us to get closer than floored it leaving a thick diesel smoke screen for us to suck on while on a steep climb.

oldpotatoe
07-09-2014, 07:00 AM
Huh? What's that got to do with diesel trucks?

Mr Ride flexing his political muscle once again. Remember, the video was first. The black helicopters are next. I'm surprised he didn't add something about 'frns' in it.

malcolm
07-09-2014, 08:51 AM
"Your Liberty To Swing Your Fist Ends Just Where My Nose Begins"

It's simply about hating cyclists and I don't get it.

I had a debate at my office yesterday. Two of us are avid cyclists. Two others started talking how they'd like to run cyclists over and "1000 points for hitting a cyclist", and how cyclists should be on the sidewalk or not out at all.

It's amazing (and I told them)... they'd slam on their brakes for a rabbit or swerve for a deer, but they want to kill any cyclist instead of tapping their brakes or moving their steering wheel 3 millimeters to the left. I've had it with people like that. No respect for human life.

I don't think they hate cyclists so much. For the coal rollers it is what it is, ignorant dumb asses lashing out at something different and mostly just following their friends lead doing what they think is cool and makes them feel important/manly/what have you in the eyes of their equally dumb ass friends. It's another version of hitting mail boxes with a baseball bat while hanging out the window.

The bigger concern for me is the everyday angry driver. I don't think it's hate there either as much as lack of understanding. They don't ride and probably don't know many if any that do, so there is no emotional connection. Combine that with the perceived or real holding them up/making them late. Your right to be there vs their right not to be held up. They pay road taxes, etc, etc...

I had an interesting discussion with the mother of a friend of my daugethers about cyclists on the road to my house. It's a two lane black top with zero shoulder and rolling shallow rises and curves. Speed limit is 30, bikes with average riders will average 12-14 up to low 20s on the down hills. She is educated beyond college, works and is a person most of you would enjoy spending time with. She was amazed that anyone would ride on that road. She wasn't so much angry that she was being held up as she felt like they put her in a position of danger having to pass them. I get her argument and I don't and wouldn't ride that road, but I fully appreciate everyone's right to do it. I'm behind bikes on that road all the time and the longest I've ever been held up was at peak traffic times and maybe a minute or two at most. I think cycling is so foreign to most adults in the US that they just don't know what to think and they respond with the tools they have and for many that is anger.

sailorboy
07-09-2014, 09:40 AM

Right, and so with that by my tally we are now at about the 134th sign that the end is nigh.

I feel so badly for my children sometimes. This is the world we gave them.

redir
07-09-2014, 01:22 PM

I've said the same thing. It is really amazing isn't it.

azrider
05-26-2015, 02:36 PM
Redneck D -bag.........sad there are people who find this humorous

https://instagram.com/p/3IWI_4GK7-/

fuzzalow
05-26-2015, 05:43 PM
That second cyclist in green, raised fist (or digit) in protest - big mistake. Never react and let an imbecile know he got 'yer goat. Never.

That swarth of black smoke isn't enough to irritate me - not enough of it, try 100 meters of it instead 'cos I can hold my breath for the 2 seconds it takes me for my forward velocity to get me outta that cloud of smoke. NBD.

Fool in the truck won't know what 100 meters is.

tiretrax
05-26-2015, 05:45 PM
I read recently about a state voting to make rolling coal a crime. Does anyone know which one?

dcama5
05-26-2015, 06:15 PM
I looked this up when I got smoked a few years ago. There was no acceleration, just a slight change in engine note and a nearly perfectly cylindrical cloud of smoke from the truck's exhaust. Then the driver went back to a normal setting. I was familiar with "chips" or "performance modules" from my days as the owner of an American performance car.

google will confirm it, no reason to go to slate for confirmation. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=diesel+power+modules+performance+chi p+tuners
Any chip worth buying will allow you to go with stock tune, a lean tune, a slightly rich tune. Pathetic antisocial morons will add a tune that dumps way too much fuel, and thus get smoke. These are people that are seething with impotent rage due to the fact that they areally are pretty worthless to society when it comes right down to it. Many of them hang the only pair of nuts they own on their hitch. You can't buy manhood.

Well written, true and funny as well.

palincss
05-26-2015, 09:01 PM
I read recently about a state voting to make rolling coal a crime. Does anyone know which one?

New Jersey. http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/13/rolling-coal-now-illegal-in-new-jersey/

likebikes
05-26-2015, 09:04 PM
I got coal rolled on last summer for the first time while riding across iowa. I actually though it was pretty funny.

AngryScientist
05-26-2015, 09:08 PM
New Jersey. http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/13/rolling-coal-now-illegal-in-new-jersey/

hey, good for us.

i cant imagine why in these days of emissions regulations, why this WOULDNT be illegal in all states though?

unterhausen
05-26-2015, 09:14 PM
I got this treatment again, and it wasn't funny at all. Serious amount of soot, and impossible to do anything about it but breathe in toxic unburnt crap. Unfortunately didn't get an ID on the truck, I'm pretty sure it was someone fairly local to me so I'm hoping to change that.

magoo
05-26-2015, 09:46 PM
This happened to me last summer, but I didn't know there was a name for it. I was riding on a secondary road, as close to the berm as possible. The white Dodge diesel blew a huge cloud of black smoke on me. Needless to say I was hot! Another mile or so and I came to the bridge where I take a breather before heading home. Alas, what was parked there but the Dodge truck. I rode right up to the driver and asked him what I was doing wrong. He said "nothing, Why?" I said that he practically blinded me. He replied that the truck needed a tune up and the injectors were dirty. All the while, he and his buddy acted real busy unloading kyaks. I think that when he saw my age(75), he was concerned. I felt 10 ft tall and bulletproof, but he could have probably whipped me, but he would have worked for it. If we had tangled, I might be driving a late model Dodge diesel today. I hope that the encounter made him think twice before doing it again. I haven't seen him yet this year

Davist
05-27-2015, 05:48 AM
I'm fortunate not to have had this happen to me, have had plenty of "friendly" folks speed up right when they get by to do kind of the same thing, though, or maybe the miscreants near me don't use the interwebs as much..

I'll stray a bit, but I find it interesting that Europe is using diesel passenger cars now, as they've been made extremely efficient, while here in US they're uncommon except for pickup trucks. Also why is there no effective price difference in diesel given the relative easier time in refining it. Yes, I know it's a commodity and we pay what the market will bear, and commercial trucks don't really have a choice, just always struck me strange.

oldpotatoe
05-27-2015, 06:27 AM
I'm fortunate not to have had this happen to me, have had plenty of "friendly" folks speed up right when they get by to do kind of the same thing, though, or maybe the miscreants near me don't use the interwebs as much..

I'll stray a bit, but I find it interesting that Europe is using diesel passenger cars now, as they've been made extremely efficient, while here in US they're uncommon except for pickup trucks. Also why is there no effective price difference in diesel given the relative easier time in refining it. Yes, I know it's a commodity and we pay what the market will bear, and commercial trucks don't really have a choice, just always struck me strange.

VW has sold a ton of TDIs(I have a Jetta)in the US and it is not possible to make the engine do this, It just doesn't smoke..even at really low RPMs, and putting my foot in it. I know the numbers are small compared to Europe where small diesel cars/vans/station wagons are everywhere..and fuel is about $8 per gallon.

Around here, diesel is w/i about $.05 of regular gas..one place down the street, diesel is actually less..something about the majority of diesel going to big highway trucks, cars, and the demand rising and falling, or something..

palincss
05-27-2015, 06:51 AM

It's not the speeding up part that's the problem, it's the chipping to create the large noxious black clouds of smoke. And it's not "dirty injectors," at least not on any recent model truck, it's intentional. They call it "Prius Repellent." They even claim it's "free speech."

A big reason for there being more diesel cars in Europe than here is taxation, especially taxation based on lowering CO2 emissions. And one reason for diesel prices being what they are here is again taxation, this time a federal tax. However, the price of diesel is very variable across the country: in some parts of California, it's lower than regular unleaded; in NoVA it's priced higher than 93, but just across the Potomac in Southern Maryland it's at or slightly below the price of 89. Since I'm often driving to ride starts in Southern Maryland, that's where I fuel my diesel VW wagon.

Lewis Moon
05-27-2015, 08:32 AM
Coal Rolling explained:
https://annkoplow.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/tumblr_m0ug5hpmrp1r7supao1_500.jpg

Of course, this explains a myriad of other issues.

redir
05-27-2015, 08:55 AM
And how much does something like that cost? I just can't imagine the personality disorder some one must have to waste money on a piece of equipment that makes your engine perform poorly so that you can blow soot on a fellow human being.

fuzzalow
05-27-2015, 09:50 AM
Desperate times can make for desperate men/boys. It is completely nuts to me because it is a pointless waste of money, effort and energy towards the goal of making a coal roller a PITA to total strangers. Stranger who don't know or care about the driver and frankly, couldn't GAS whether that person was dead or alive. A coal-rolling nobody with a psychosis in wanting to be noticed for his hard fought, earned achievements. Oh, that's just great!

Dunno, what a sad, sorry state. It takes a lotta guts to do positive things and then let others judge if what was done was good and worth noticing a person for. These coal rollers want to be noticed by being an idiot and an affront to others - sorry doin' that's just way too easy. But being far left in the curve means taking whatever you can get, however meaningless. 'Cos that's all you got. Better them than me.

These guys don't bother me 'cos there's nothin' I can do about 'em. It's a free country brother. But I got no sympathy for somebody who can't figure out how not to stay stupid.

shovelhd
05-27-2015, 09:50 AM
I don't know of anyone that chips their truck just for that. It's part of a performance enhancement and emissions system removal. They don't run that way all the time, only when you press the obnoxious button.

unterhausen
05-27-2015, 10:24 AM
I think most people chip their trucks to get better gas mileage. Once the motor gets up to temp, you could lean it out more, for example. Then go back to stock for climbing a mountain. There is usually a 5 way switch on the dash to change between modes. I am pretty sure that most chips are used to get more power or better fuel consumption. There are forums for discussing this.

Lewis Moon
05-27-2015, 10:37 AM
I got no sympathy for somebody who can't figure out how not to stay stupid.

Amen.

BobO
05-27-2015, 11:11 AM
I am pretty sure that most chips are used to get more power or better fuel consumption. There are forums for discussing this.

This is correct. Often times when a diesel truck engine has been tuned for optimal torque the byproduct can be copious amounts of smoke at wide open throttle. Many factory produced diesel engines are capable of ungodly gobs of torque with a few modifications and an aggressive computer F/A/S map. Of course the basic point is to increase the power available under the curve so you don't have to use WOT. But your average clueless redneck doesn't get that, he just giggles at the cloud he made and cracks another cold one.

Other settings can reduce the fuel flow resulting in lower consumption and emissions, and a myriad of maps are available in between.

Belching smoke on other people is an unfortunate byproduct of being a jackass. But, if he is driving a Ford 6.0 diesel, laugh hysterically at him, odds are he's an idiot as well as a jackass. Those engines are well known to be time-bombs, and when chipped they don't last long without intelligent "bullet-proofing," even then they're sketchy.

palincss
05-27-2015, 11:40 AM
And how much does something like that cost? I just can't imagine the personality disorder some one must have to waste money on a piece of equipment that makes your engine perform poorly so that you can blow soot on a fellow human being.

I've read articles that say it can run anywhere from a few hundred to more than two thousand dollars.

azrider
05-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Redneck D -bag.........sad there are people who find this humorous

https://instagram.com/p/3IWI_4GK7-/

Can't really say I'm surprised at the demographic of the perpetrator in this instance. DRUNKCYCLIST and another local Cycling community is raking this guy over the coals (no pun) and exposing this turd for who he really is.....degenerate punk

When:2014-04-03
Where:Maricopa County Sheriff Office
Height:5'11
Weight:170
Born/Age:11/1/1993

MARIJUANA-POSSESS/USE
DRUG PARAPHERNALIA-POSSESS/USE
LIQ-MNR USE WTRCRFT AFTR DRINK

http://mugshot-record-search.com/offender-image/1f1/AZT067556-Kelby-Holtorf.jpg

Dead Man
05-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Can't really say I'm surprised at the demographic of the perpetrator in this instance. DRUNKCYCLIST and another local Cycling community is raking this guy over the coals (no pun) and exposing this turd for who he really is.....degenerate punk

When:2014-04-03
Where:Maricopa County Sheriff Office
Height:5'11
Weight:170
Born/Age:11/1/1993

MARIJUANA-POSSESS/USE
DRUG PARAPHERNALIA-POSSESS/USE
LIQ-MNR USE WTRCRFT AFTR DRINK

I think this trend of public shame via social media is a crap road to travel on thin tubulars. As much as part of me loves to see this prick get smeared, I just can't jump on the bandwagon.. even for this.

Take it up in the civil courts. I'm just absolutely certain a good lawyer can clean up on these morons posting their own liability for everyone to be outraged over. TORT

azrider
05-27-2015, 12:54 PM
I think this trend of public shame via social media is a crap road to travel on thin tubulars.

Ha. When I was growing up my dad told me to punch someone back if they ever punched me first.

I view this same way: if you're using your social media to promote doing sh*tty things to people then get ready to have that same thing used against you.

Different fokes , different strokes.

BobO
05-27-2015, 01:00 PM

Alex, I'll take "He peaked in high school," for $100.

Louis
05-27-2015, 01:13 PM
Alex, I'll take "He peaked in high school," for $100.

The thing is, if he put a little effort into something, anything, even cycling, he might be able to achieve something decent that he could be legitimately proud of.

I guess someone has to be at the left-hand tail of the bell curve, and he's probably been volunteering for that much of his adult life.

DRZRM
05-27-2015, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I'd agree. This is a response to his own Twitter post right? It's not like someone just photographed his plates and posted his private information. I know this is a slippery slope, and maybe I need to rethink my first reaction, but if someone posts his or her criminal actions publicly, I think he or she already took the first steps in his or her public shaming.

That said, a guy in a truck once ran me off the road, both physically and audibly (he punched his engine and it sounded like a plane was about to land on me) and drove away flipping me off and laughing. I'll leave you with no further details except that I later found his truck parked in front of a house within a mile of the incident and I think we are pretty close to even.

Ha. When I was growing up my dad told me to punch someone back if they ever punched me first.

I view this same way: if you're using your social media to promote doing sh*tty things to people then get ready to have that same thing used against you.

Different fokes , different strokes.

azrider
05-27-2015, 02:37 PM
Yeah, I'd agree. This is a response to his own Twitter post right?

His personal Instagram account is where he posted and bragged about Rolling Coal on "gayazz bikers". Apparently he got up in arms NOT because of cyclist backlash, but because his local POWERstroke group banned him from their 'group'. Guess he rolled coal on a car that had its windows down and a baby was inside. You really can't make this sh*t up.

I bet even money he doesn't even own the truck, the bank does.

Louis
05-27-2015, 02:41 PM
So you can't do it to infants, but it's ok to do it to cyclists...

mgm777
05-27-2015, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I'd agree. This is a response to his own Twitter post right? It's not like someone just photographed his plates and posted his private information. I know this is a slippery slope, and maybe I need to rethink my first reaction, but if someone posts his or her criminal actions publicly, I think he or she already took the first steps in his or her public shaming.

That said, a guy in a truck once ran me off the road, both physically and audibly (he punched his engine and it sounded like a plane was about to land on me) and drove away flipping me off and laughing. I'll leave you with no further details except that I later found his truck parked in front of a house within a mile of the incident and I think we are pretty close to even.

Yes, but in this particular instance, the truck driver posted on his social media a video, that he shot, boasting about "rolling coal" on a cyclist. As the saying goes, "live by the sword, die by the sword." It appears that this young man doesn't understand there are consequences for his actions.

Dead Man
05-27-2015, 03:23 PM
I'm confused about where all of this is taking place, I guess. If the guy posted a video and the negative activity is occurring in the comments section of his own video (what it's sounding like?), then I guess all bets are off. I don't use twitter or instagram or understand how it works.

BobO
05-27-2015, 03:31 PM
It appears that this young man doesn't understand there are consequences for his actions.

It sounds as though he thought he'd get a big pat on the back and good job from his "buddies." What he actually got was admonished for being an assclown, he did not like this.

Dead Man
05-27-2015, 03:32 PM
http://bikeportland.org/2014/06/20/truck-driver-rollin-coal-riders-one-bike-cop-107657

Don't know what the outcome was, and it's old, but a little bit of satisfaction.

fuzzalow
05-27-2015, 03:40 PM

This is a picture of a guy who always seems to go by his full first, middle and last names.

LeRoy Bobby Luvsheep or Clem Dwayne Menial, kinda like that. This guy's singular lifelong achievement is passing the written portion of his DMV test.

Freedom's just another word for nuthin' left to lose.

Rnaymik
05-28-2015, 12:28 AM
Texas transplant in Boston here. So glad I don't ride in an area where I have to deal with many rednecks anymore.

BobO
05-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Texas transplant in Boston here. So glad I don't ride in an area where I have to deal with many rednecks anymore.

No, but there are the Massaholes. :D

unterhausen
05-28-2015, 09:07 AM
This is a picture of a guy who always seems to go by his full first, middle and last names.
it's the picture of a man that lives in a hell of his own devising. I just wish people like him weren't so busy trying to rope the rest of us in to their misery.

mg2ride
05-28-2015, 09:20 AM
Seems like a lot of energy and emotion being spent on something that isn't going to hurt you. A couple of lungs full of smoke isn't going to kill anyone. If you are that sensitive you need to stay inside in a HEPA filtered room.

The best thing you can do is not respond to them at all.

Lewis Moon
05-28-2015, 09:32 AM
it's the picture of a man that lives in a hell of his own devising. I just wish people like him weren't so busy trying to rope the rest of us in to their misery.

He lives in a mind cartoon where he is the Randian hero going full metal Rambo on squishy enviros whom he has extrapolated are trying to take his Libertarian/truck/lifestyle away.

Lewis Moon
05-28-2015, 09:38 AM
Seems like a lot of energy and emotion being spent on something that isn't going to hurt you. A couple of lungs full of smoke isn't going to kill anyone. If you are that sensitive you need to stay inside in a HEPA filtered room.

The best thing you can do is not respond to them at all.

Have you been coal rolled? I have, while riding a tough pass with a HR at 170 plus and breathing like I was drowning. The crap stayed with me for weeks.

In June, 2012, the International Agency for Cancer Research (IARC) classified DE (including DPM) as a known human carcinogen (Group 1). That's known, with epidemiological evidence, not extrapolated from rat studies.

Coal rolling is stupid on ALL levels.

BobO
05-28-2015, 10:14 AM
He lives in a mind cartoon where he is the Randian hero going full metal Rambo on squishy enviros whom he has extrapolated are trying to take his Libertarian/truck/lifestyle away.

Are you trying to say that he is grossly ignorant in addition to being a selfish dbag?

cfox
05-28-2015, 10:14 AM
You never roll coal on a baby. EVER. Everyone knows that, right?? Basic redneck honor right there.

Coal rolling clubs complete with chat forums...awesome....confirms my belief that there exists a subculture for any possible activity. Basically, for every verb in the English language, there is a hobby

BobO
05-28-2015, 10:23 AM
confirms my belief that there exists a subculture for any possible activity.

If you want to see a group of clowns who make these diesel freaks look intelligent, Google "Brodozer."

mg2ride
05-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Have you been coal rolled? I have, while riding a tough pass with a HR at 170 plus and breathing like I was drowning. The crap stayed with me for weeks.

In June, 2012, the International Agency for Cancer Research (IARC) classified DE (including DPM) as a known human carcinogen (Group 1). That's known, with epidemiological evidence, not extrapolated from rat studies.

Coal rolling is stupid on ALL levels.

Yes I have. Multiple times both on my bike and in my convertible. In each of those events I was also exposed to Solar Radiation (aka Sunlight) which is also listed as a Group 1 carcinogen.
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/generalinformationaboutcarcinogens/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens

Somehow, I survived it all.

Lewis Moon
05-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Yes I have. Multiple times both on my bike and in my convertible. In each of those events I was also exposed to Solar Radiation (aka Sunlight) which is also listed as a Group 1 carcinogen.
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/generalinformationaboutcarcinogens/known-and-probable-human-carcinogens

Somehow, I survived it all.

Excess cancer risk. One you choose to assume and take measures to mitigate, one is forced upon you.

Do you know how cancer risk works? That's one of the things I do for a living. Getting cancer is a bit like getting pregnant. Statistically, it could happen the first "exposure". Statistically, it could never happen. The more times you roll the dice, the more discreet chances you have of it occurring.
I work hard at lowering the overall rate of exposure to known carcinogens in my state. That's part of my social contract. I hate it when douche bags like this guy play idiot on someone else's dime.