PDA

View Full Version : position question

yeehawfactor
02-23-2006, 10:05 PM
scenerio: super steep climb that takes more than a few minutes to get over. not long and steep like you would find in colorado or the pyrennes, but long and steep for appalachia. yeehawfactor on the ropes.

i've noticed that in this case i'll ride on the hoods for a while. i'll start to get fidgety, and will then begin to alternate between the tops and the hoods. then i'll shift to the tops almost fully. if i'm still climbing and still in the red, i've noticed lately that the next position i go to is in the drops. not the bends, but straight down to the ends. not long and low, just low. so i'm sitting, on the ropes, in the drops. what could be possible explanations for this? am i trying to use my body differently and this position is allowing it? any ideas?

jerk
02-23-2006, 10:10 PM
you're trying to recruit your fasttwitch muscles into the party....the move to the tops is to bring the muscles from the tops of your legs into play, the move to the drops is to get great hip flexion in an attempt to bring the most powerful muscles in your body, the glutes, in on the action.

sounds like you need some lower gears, unless you like rowing your bike like that.

don't discount the appalachians. them hills ain't as easy as them toothless women they got there.

jerk

yeehawfactor
02-23-2006, 10:14 PM
so perhaps i throw the 12-27 on for a spell and leave the position as is?

jerk
02-23-2006, 10:17 PM
dude-
the jerk doesn't know anything about your position, save what you just said. it doesn't sound like position to the jerk, it sounds like gearing or fitness or something. how does it feel on the flats and on the rollers?

jerk

yeehawfactor
02-23-2006, 10:31 PM
if i post a pic can you tell me if it fits?

seriously though, feels no worse than any time i can remember on the rollers, always more comfortable on the tops. feels fine on the flats, though i'm typically not on the flats for very long around here. i think the probably answer here is shut up and ride my bike stretch and do core work.............