PDA

View Full Version : Corsa Extra vs Marcelo

merckx
02-23-2006, 09:53 PM
Okay, this is a totally irrational comparison, but a serious inquiry none-the- less. I'm looking for a 60cm frame with a 72STA and these two frames popped up on the radar. I realize that they are very different machines but they share something in common. Moxie. I currently ride a Merckx MXL and the fit and ride is superbe. Hence my attraction to the soon to be released Corsa Extra. The Marcelo shares very similar geo. to the Merckx so I know that my contact points will be excellent. I'm 185 lbs and my only concern is regarding descending stiffness of the machine. I know that the Marcelo will fulfill that requirement, however I'm not sure that a (by todays standards) under-sized SLX frame in a 60cm will be adequate for a 185lb slob. I ride about 7,000 miles a year, race a few times and like machines that fit well, don't shimmy when descending through S-curves at 45mph, and soak up the New England cobbles. I thought that the Corsa Extra would be a lighter compliment to the MXL. Maybe the Corsa Extra is a museum piece and the Marcelo is the best machine for my needs? Maybe I should just ride my MXL and shut up? Thanks a bunch.

Not really Merckx.

jerk
02-23-2006, 10:04 PM
the corsa extra while a nice bike, will pale in comparison to your mx leader in terms of torsional rigidity. slx, even of the overbuilt merckx persuasion is not the stoutest of tubesets. get a marcelo or a c3 or something that can be tuned for your size and power.

jerk

merckx
02-24-2006, 07:59 AM
My id almost got the best of me. Thanks, Jerk.

dbrk
02-24-2006, 08:13 AM
This reply is little more than one of those annoying atta'boys, but I would say that if you were more my size/weight/power (closer to 160lbs), then the Corsa would serve. The MX Leader is a fantastic bike but for me, overbuilt whereas the Marcelo is perfect and more forgiving but still stiff enough for bigger, faster fellas.

dbrk

bigbill
02-24-2006, 08:40 AM
When I put my MX Leader into temporary retirement for refinishing, I replaced it with a Fina Estampa so you are right about similiar geometries. Now I have a rechromed and painted MXL sitting around and taunting me, but the Pego is so nice. I bet the Marcelo rides even nicer. Have you thought about a Big Leg Emma? Definately a big guy hammer machine.

bigbill
02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
I can't believe that I didn't mention Serotta. I have been riding bikes with the merckx type geometry for many years. I did have an opportunity to ride a stock Serotta many years ago and was impressed how well it fit me. At the time I couldn't financially do it, but I really wanted one. Now that I am at the point in my life where I can afford just about any bike within reason, I cannot justify buying another bike when I ride a Pegoretti and have a MX Leader and a Mercian KOM just waiting to be built up. With God as my witness, when I retire from the military and commence my professional masters racing career, I will have a Serotta. Or a Sachs, which I should probably order now.

Ozz
02-24-2006, 12:11 PM
My usual riding buddy has a Merckx (1995ish)...I rode it when I let him try out my CSI....to tell the truth, it was a pretty nice ride. I think it is a Corsa.

He picked up a custom steel Spectrum last year, but has yet to part with the Merckx cuz it is so nice.

This looks like your size:http://cgi.ebay.com/7-Eleven-Eddy-Merckx-Corsa-SL-Road-Bike-60-cm_W0QQitemZ7220881541QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

BigDaddySmooth
02-24-2006, 02:34 PM
With God as my witness, when I retire from the military and commence my professional masters racing career, I will have a Serotta. Or a Sachs, which I should probably order now.[/QUOTE]

So if you are thinking about ordering a RS, you must be within 4 years of retirement :D

I've got just over 4 to go. Whereas you have a plan, the only daily decision I want to make post-retirement is what bike to take out to ride that day. Of course, w/ a kid, I'll probably have to bring some job income into the household...

If I had stayed Navy, I would be retiring in October as my old OCS classmates will be doing soon. One guy who rolled back into my group is retiring in July after 20 years in Specwar. He has had, shall we say, an adventurous career. As Bob Seger so eloquently sang, "20 years, where'd they go, 20 years, I don't know...I sit and I wonder sometimes, where they've gone"...I couldn't have said it better!