PDA

View Full Version : Butted 14/15 or straight gauge...which is stronger?

SoCalSteve
07-05-2014, 12:48 PM
And less vulnerable to spoke breaking?

Weight unimportant, longevity and durability a priority.

As always, thank you all in advance!

Steve

ergott
07-05-2014, 01:05 PM
Straight is stiffer, but butted is more durable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

SoCalSteve
07-05-2014, 01:31 PM
Straight is stiffer, but butted is more durable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Thank you! That's what I needed to know.

Peter P.
07-05-2014, 04:11 PM
Which spoke is stronger depends on where the spoke breakage occurs under testing. I'm assuming the butted portion of the butted spoke and the straight gauge spoke are the same gauge.

If the spoke breakage always occurs at the elbow or the threaded portion, then the 2 spokes are equally strong because they are the same gauge at the break.

If the breakage occurs at the transition of the butted portion or in the middle, then the straight gauge spoke is stronger.

In my experience, spokes in general, both straight gauge and butted, always break at the threaded portion or the elbow.

Ken Robb
07-05-2014, 04:20 PM
I only know what I read but a wheel guru suggested that butted spokes allow a little extra "give" in the middle which reduces the stress at the nipple and hub ends where most breaks occur. My only experience breaking spokes has been near the middle due to sticks getting jammed between them behind the fork.

I don't know if there would be a discernible difference in ride quality between two wheels identical save for butted vs. straight-gauge spokes.

giverdada
07-05-2014, 05:56 PM
what ergott said.

butted give and allow for longer lasting=more durable wheels.

straight are beefy and stiff but no flex=die faster.

bikinchris
07-05-2014, 07:32 PM
All spokes that are properly tensioned are equally "strong" as far as lasting a long time.
Spokes break because they are not tight enough and they cold work until they are so brittle they cannot take a load without failing. NOT because they are too tight. Spokes that are too tight will tear out of the rim, breaking the rim, which is the weakest part of the wheel.