PDA

View Full Version : Which Leather Saddle?

stephenmarklay
07-05-2014, 07:33 AM
I have wanted to get a brooks type saddle for some time. It sounds like a B17 is not great for much of a drop from saddle to bar and I have a pretty decent drop on mine.

Which saddle would be recommended for a traditional "race" type of application? This does not have to be brooks either.

AngryScientist
07-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Rivet Diablo is my leather saddle of choice. Similar to a Brooks Swallow, but with a nice cutout that allows it to move just enough better to make it perfect for me.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Ox9upAaTOhY/U3Z_Ie21ufI/AAAAAAAABmg/VDwotALxgZs/s1600/P1080223.JPG

jr59
07-05-2014, 07:40 AM
The pro, swift, and swallow all are more prone to allow more drop.

Please keep in mind that all tushes are very different, and what works for 1 very well, may not work for you at all.

Look for an LBS that carries these and allows you to try them. Or contact http://www.wallbike.com/contact, and use their return policy.

Ahneida Ride
07-05-2014, 07:42 AM
The Pro will take more time to break in then the B17.

dave thompson
07-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Stephen, I have a Brooks Professional you can try if you'd like. Contact me via e- mail not PM.

stephenmarklay
07-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Stephen, I have a Brooks Professional you can try if you'd like. Contact me via e- mail not PM.

That would be awesome Dave. I will take you up on it since that one is on my short list.

Stephen2014
07-05-2014, 11:32 AM
among the many saddles a straightforward answer is a B17N, i believe these were the main choice of the peloton in the day.

stephenmarklay
07-05-2014, 11:40 AM
Stephen, that is the narrow right?

Alan
07-05-2014, 01:48 PM
I have tried several Brooks and none worked well for me but I really like the Berthoud Soulor. Ck out at wall bike.com. See link below:

http://www.wallbike.com/berthoud/berthoud-saddles/berthoud-soulor-steel-race-saddles

Pm me if you have questions. This is a life time saddle.

Alan

OtayBW
07-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Brooks B17 Sprinter. This is/was a limited edition as recreation of a 1926 saddle that they made. Narrowest saddle they make, I believe. Beautiful looking, and close to ~131mm width. Heavy though, but for a lot of drop and slender profile, it might work for you.

Stephen2014
07-05-2014, 01:52 PM
Stephen, that is the narrow right?

Yes, around 150mm width.

lookout2015
07-05-2014, 02:23 PM
I have wanted to get a brooks type saddle for some time. It sounds like a B17 is not great for much of a drop from saddle to bar and I have a pretty decent drop on mine.

Which saddle would be recommended for a traditional "race" type of application? This does not have to be brooks either.

I second the Rivet Cycle recommendation -- at least for me and my ischium their cutout is more comfortable than a Brooks B17 Imperial

They have Ti models if weight is a priority and one of their widths is available without cutout if you don't like the additional flex

merckx
07-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Brooks C17, or the 140mm C15 if you have a climber's ass. Forget the leather.

pinkshogun
07-05-2014, 03:17 PM
though the B17 looks better the C17 is nearly as comfortabale and much lighter

Louis
07-05-2014, 03:18 PM
I don't have a ton of miles on mine, but so far have been very impressed by the Brooks Swift. (pic's not mine)

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3263/3332756972_d6ddaef287.jpg

stephenmarklay
07-05-2014, 05:07 PM
As usual you guys have given me all kinds a useful info. I am going to start with Dave's generous offer and see how the Brooks Pro feels. If it feels good then I am fine with one for this bike.

If not I will go and look at these great suggestions.

Thanks again anyone.

zzy
07-05-2014, 09:01 PM
I swear by my Team Pro. But remember that you need to break it in personally, and someone else's butt mold (for lack of a better term) may not work for you! Also, like someone already said, they have VERY stiff leather and take quite a while to break in.

pinkshogun
07-05-2014, 09:07 PM
i have both and both were comfortable from the get go. the Imperial is slippery compared to the Aged, which keeps you firmly in one place on the saddle

CNY rider
07-06-2014, 07:03 AM
I swear by my Team Pro. But remember that you need to break it in personally, and someone else's butt mold (for lack of a better term) may not work for you! Also, like someone already said, they have VERY stiff leather and take quite a while to break in.

True about the Pro.
I am short, weigh about 150 pounds, and ride with 3-4 cm drop to the bars.
I am very comfortable on the Team Pro, and the Swift is even better.

stephenmarklay
07-07-2014, 11:01 AM
I had a nice visit with Dave Thompson yesterday and picked up the Brooks Pro from him. I wanted to thank him again for this generous offer.

I had a mixed experience with the Pro. At first I had it level which is not actually level at at as most of you know. So I stopped and adjusted it a couple of notches on my post and then it was great.

The first thing I noticed is that it does not feel hard and I did not really have any pressure points. The second thing I noticed is that it pushed me forward too much and the only way I could use it would be with a post with even great setback.

I did get little heat build up the longer I rode but part of these feeling was the caused by a bit of chaffing from riding yesterday. I think if I had the fore/aft position set better I would be fine.

So in the end I like it. I road it about 45 miles this am and it was livable. I have to do one of two things. Get a new post with more set back or choose a model that allows more fore/aft movement to get my position more dialed in.

Here is a picture. I think it looks great and thanks again Dave.

chwupper
07-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Yep, because of the rails, I find Brooks saddles like these hard to adjust and hard to love. After an unhappy experience with a Brooks Pro last summer, I've gone to Selle Anatomica saddles for 2 of my bikes. They are good, not perfect: the leather is pretty thin, and even though I have the Titanico X (leather + laminate for riders over 160), it tends to stretch out fairly quickly. However, they have long rails without wacky tilt. Also, they're nice and wide for my man-sized heiny.

Good luck with the Pro!

I had a nice visit with Dave Thompson yesterday and picked up the Brooks Pro from him. I wanted to thank him again for this generous offer.

I had a mixed experience with the Pro. At first I had it level which is not actually level at at as most of you know. So I stopped and adjusted it a couple of notches on my post and then it was great.

The first thing I noticed is that it does not feel hard and I did not really have any pressure points. The second thing I noticed is that it pushed me forward too much and the only way I could use it would be with a post with even great setback.

I did get little heat build up the longer I rode but part of these feeling was the caused by a bit of chaffing from riding yesterday. I think if I had the fore/aft position set better I would be fine.

So in the end I like it. I road it about 45 miles this am and it was livable. I have to do one of two things. Get a new post with more set back or choose a model that allows more fore/aft movement to get my position more dialed in.

Here is a picture. I think it looks great and thanks again Dave.

jamesutiopia
07-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Berthoud Aspin/Aravis for me. I've got four of them currently in use on various bikes. Brooks Pro and B17 are also nice, but the thick and beautifully chamfered leather on the Berthoud saddles is awesome, IMO.

The Brooks 'select' series might be comparable (according to the Internet), but I've never seen one in person.

Stephen2014
07-07-2014, 01:43 PM
I have got a Professional Select, very confortable, like riding a B17 narrow-medium with gigantic rivets.

plattyjo
07-07-2014, 02:36 PM
I use a Gilles Berthoud Marie Blanque on my rando bike, and a B17 on my touring and track bikes -- but I LOVE the new Brooks Cambium. I put 60 miles on it last weekend and did a 300k this past weekend on it and it's soooooo comfortable.

fiamme red
07-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Berthoud Aspin/Aravis for me. I've got four of them currently in use on various bikes. Brooks Pro and B17 are also nice, but the thick and beautifully chamfered leather on the Berthoud saddles is awesome, IMO.

The Brooks 'select' series might be comparable (according to the Internet), but I've never seen one in person.I second the Berthoud recommendation. Excellent leather, higher quality than Brooks from my experience.

R2D2
07-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Whatever you get, get the large hammered flat rivets. Raised rivets sooner or later get to be a pain.