PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Masterlink on their chains?

makoti
07-04-2014, 11:17 AM
I'm thinking of putting one of those masterlinks onto my Campy chains. I had done this years ago, but it was a total PITA. Hard to get back open, noisy, and seemed to wear very fast. It was (and this may not be exactly right. It's been years) a Forester(?). But, I miss being able to easily remove the chain to clean it. Years ago I would just take a chain tool to it, off, on, back together, done. Now, the tool is crazy expensive & I understand I need two for my 11 speed. I usually have the shop just toss on the new one, so I never need the tools, but I still have my basic Rivoli tool.
So, would want to get one for both 10 & 11 speed.
Looking at the KMC. Any others I should check? Is it 5.9 or 5.88 for Campy? Advice? Experiences/woes? Thanks.

thirdgenbird
07-04-2014, 11:25 AM
KMC makes a link specifically for campy 10 chains. I've got one on both of my bikes and I've never had an issue.

ceolwulf
07-04-2014, 11:33 AM
I use the Wipperman one for my Campy chains, works very slick. On and off is almost instant.

Cicli
07-04-2014, 11:40 AM
KMC makes a link specifically for campy 10 chains. I've got one on both of my bikes and I've never had an issue.

This.

OtayBW
07-04-2014, 11:40 AM
I've used the Wipperman Connex 10 and the KMC Missing Link 11 for 10 sp (5.9mm) and 11 sp (5.5mm), respectively, for years. Both perform flawlessly.

Ralph
07-04-2014, 11:51 AM

Yes.....KMC CR for Campy. C for Campy and R for reusable. Doesn't click or anything like some others. I can remove with my fingers after wiggling it a bit. Do have the tool though.

oldpotatoe
07-04-2014, 12:50 PM
I'm thinking of putting one of those masterlinks onto my Campy chains. I had done this years ago, but it was a total PITA. Hard to get back open, noisy, and seemed to wear very fast. It was (and this may not be exactly right. It's been years) a Forester(?). But, I miss being able to easily remove the chain to clean it. Years ago I would just take a chain tool to it, off, on, back together, done. Now, the tool is crazy expensive & I understand I need two for my 11 speed. I usually have the shop just toss on the new one, so I never need the tools, but I still have my basic Rivoli tool.
So, would want to get one for both 10 & 11 speed.
Looking at the KMC. Any others I should check? Is it 5.9 or 5.88 for Campy? Advice? Experiences/woes? Thanks.

Wipperman for 10s, IRD or KMC for 11s

Louis
07-04-2014, 01:02 PM
I use a SRAM quick/fast/whatever they call it link on my 9spd Shimano chains and it's great. Super-easy to install or remove, and I've actually re-used one over the life of two chains and had zero issues.

cinema
07-04-2014, 01:42 PM
The best and easiest to use for me has been the sram master link (the gold one from 9sp). I have it on my 9sp mtb. next choice would be wipperman connex which i use with my 10sp 105 group. not as good, but the best i've found for 10sp. the kmc ones are difficult to remove once installed so should be looked at as an emergency roadside thing more than anything else.

makoti
07-04-2014, 02:07 PM
Thanks, guys. Follow-up...
They are re-useable. Do you actually move them from one chain to the next or are the trashed along with the chain? If you do, how many chains do you usually get out of them? It seems to me that it would make sense that they would wear out at the same rate as the chain.

Ralph
07-04-2014, 02:13 PM
I think reusable means you can use it over and over again on same chain. Like if you take it off for cleaning, or whatever reason you may take the chain apart. I sometimes, on one of my bikes, will run a cassette, crankset, rear derailleur combo that requires some extra links. So I might run two master links, than after that trip, put it back like it was. So I may take a chain apart several times.

thirdgenbird
07-04-2014, 02:34 PM
They are re-useable. Do you actually move them from one chain to the next or are the trashed along with the chain? If you do, how many chains do you usually get out of them? It seems to me that it would make sense that they would wear out at the same rate as the chain.

I'm pretty sure the kmc instructions say reusable for the life of one chain. I keep one "used up" spare in each of my took kits. I've never broken a campy chain, but you never know.

djg21
07-04-2014, 02:40 PM

I've been wondering about this too.

I use the Connex links on my 10-spd dura ace/ultegra chains, and on my 9-spd MTB. They supposedly are not re-useable (or more properly are "re-useable for life of chain"), but I've had no problem using the same connex link for 2-3 chains on my bikes. I do replace my chains early, at around 1,500 miles, to avoid cogset wear. I haven't encountered issues with the connex links.

My understanding is that chain stretch is actually caused by wearing of the bushings where the pins insert into the chain plates. Since the connex links themselves don't have bushings, and the pins are actually part of the chain plates, it strikes me that they cannot wear at the same pace as the rest of the chain.

In any event, I've not encountered any issues in re-using the links. I'm not sure if I will re-use them multiple times over though.

oldpotatoe
07-04-2014, 02:40 PM

These do wear with a chain, really shouldn't recycle

Louis
07-04-2014, 10:11 PM
Given the relatively low cost there's no reason to not use a new one with a new chain. But in a pinch my experience has been that they (at least the SRAM 9-spd models I've used) can successfully last at least two chains worth of life.

djg21
07-04-2014, 10:46 PM
Given the relatively low cost there's no reason to not use a new one with a new chain. But in a pinch my experience has been that they (at least the SRAM 9-spd models I've used) can successfully last at least two chains worth of life.

The connex links cost around $10/ea. mail order. Granted, it's not a huge amount, but given that chains cost around $30 (Ultegra or DA7900), it adds significantly to the cost of regular maintenance. Unless you frequently remove the chain to clean it, it doesn't make much sense to pay the additional cost when the Shimano pins work just fine. On the other hand, to use them for 2-3 chains is more economical.

I've also been told that the reason that SRAM and Connex links supposedly are not re-useable (for multiple chains) is more a function of avoidance of licensing fees and/or liability for infringing on the patent for the Superlink master chain link: http://www.google.com/patents/US5362282. I tend to be a cynic, but I still have not seen anything to suggest that a SRAM or Connex link really wears as fast as a single chain.

Another link re the Superlink:

http://users.stargate.net/~craig/slmain.html

Louis
07-04-2014, 10:59 PM
A quick check showed the 9-spd SRAM PowerLink at $3 to $4 (+ shipping) if purchased individually, I assume less if you get a card of say four or more.

Veloo
07-05-2014, 07:24 AM
I've ridden a bunch of different types of links. Only 1 freak incident I ever had was loading the bike into my car, I took off both wheels, so the chain was not tensioned. The link came undone, chain slipped off and the link dropped on the ground somewhere. My parking spot is just dirt, gravel and weeds. Never did find the link so I ended up late to my event. That was a 10 speed chain. Can't recall the brand of the link.

Otherwise I like the links much better than pins for the convenience. I've reused them but so far not the KMC 11 speed Campy one just cuz I haven't had to remove the chain yet.

oldpotatoe
07-05-2014, 07:31 AM
The connex links cost around $10/ea. mail order. Granted, it's not a huge amount, but given that chains cost around $30 (Ultegra or DA7900), it adds significantly to the cost of regular maintenance. Unless you frequently remove the chain to clean it, it doesn't make much sense to pay the additional cost when the Shimano pins work just fine. On the other hand, to use them for 2-3 chains is more economical.

I've also been told that the reason that SRAM and Connex links supposedly are not re-useable (for multiple chains) is more a function of avoidance of licensing fees and/or liability for infringing on the patent for the Superlink master chain link: http://www.google.com/patents/US5362282. I tend to be a cynic, but I still have not seen anything to suggest that a SRAM or Connex link really wears as fast as a single chain.

Another link re the Superlink:

http://users.stargate.net/~craig/slmain.html

Craig superlinks seemed to always be clicky, noisy..$30 for a DA9000 chain is some kinda good deal, BTW.

Why shimano and Campag can't get on the snaplink bandwagon..I donno..seems to work with KMC and others.

Ralph
07-05-2014, 09:18 AM
Craig superlinks seemed to always be clicky, noisy..$30 for a DA9000 chain is some kinda good deal, BTW.

Why shimano and Campag can't get on the snaplink bandwagon..I donno..seems to work with KMC and others.

The Super Links always "clicked" for me. Won't use them. I just use the KMC links for Campy chains (10CR) , or KMC links for their own chains (10R). Never had an issue. Do sometimes use the Park tool for removal in my home shop, but can get it loose with fingers....just takes a while sometimes. Seems tight (a good thing) when new.

makoti
07-05-2014, 05:24 PM
I didn't even know they had a special tool for this. Why am I not surprised? ;) And, yes, I'll get it. The vid I watched made it look so much easier than the fighting I used to do with the ones I tried before.

tuscanyswe
07-05-2014, 05:41 PM
I recently installed a sram lock on my campy 11s chain. Seem to work fine.

Louis
07-05-2014, 05:45 PM
IMO having a "special tool" for a quick-link defeats one the purposes of having the link - being able to remove and/or install it easily while out on the road.

makoti
07-05-2014, 08:00 PM
IMO having a "special tool" for a quick-link defeats one the purposes of having the link - being able to remove and/or install it easily while out on the road.

Twice in all my years of riding have I had to take a chain off while out, and both times for reasons that escape me, I actually had my chain tool with me. I stopped carrying it & the problems stopped. Simple! ;)
Honestly, I never considered removing the chain out on the road as a feature of the links. Guess it is, but not why I want them. I want to be able to get the chain off to clean it & the rear pulleys easily so the tool would be handy. But, yeah, I'd never, ever carry it.

Louis
07-05-2014, 09:16 PM
I already carry a "regular" chain tool and in about 15 years have used it once (on a buddy's chain). Doesn't make sense to me to carry yet another chain tool, so yeah, I agree, don't bother with a quick-link tool out on the road.