PDA

View Full Version : Sort of OT: Tick Repellent

Keith A
07-03-2014, 08:48 PM
We are going to do some hiking in north Georgia soon and am concerned about the problems with ticks. I'm considering using a Permethrin based product to treat our clothing and then another repellent for our skin. As for the skin products, should we use a DEET based one or a "natural" one like Lemon Eucalyptus?

mod6
07-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Long socks treated with Permethrin is a good way to go. I live on the east end of Long Island where ticks are a huge problem. When I am on the MTB( 2 or 3 times a week) I wear knee high socks treated with Permethrin. Knock on wood I have not found a tick on me yet this season. Ticks here will climb right up your leg even with the strongest deet you can buy on them.

pbarry
07-03-2014, 08:59 PM
Hate to recommend a toxic product, but after using all or most of the natural remedies, DEET works best. Long sleeve shirts and pants and hats too.

pbarry
07-03-2014, 09:06 PM
Long socks treated with Permethrin is a good way to go. I live on the east end of Long Island where ticks are a huge problem. When I am on the MTB( 2 or 3 times a week) I wear knee high socks treated with Permethrin. Knock on wood I have not found a tick on me yet this season. Ticks here will climb right up your leg even with the strongest deet you can buy on them.

Yeah, Permethrin, is even better, not everywhere, but where it counts.. A pee outing for a dog on the east coast will bring back no less than three ticks to the house.

Louis
07-03-2014, 09:16 PM
Re: Permethrin

Be careful if you have cats. From Wikipedia (so it's probably true):

It is not known to rapidly harm most mammals or birds, but is dangerously toxic to cats and fish. In general, it has a low mammalian toxicity and is poorly absorbed by skin.

If I spend just a few seconds in a non-gravel area of my yard I can usually count on picking up at least a few ticks. Recently most of them have been deer ticks, which is particularly worrisome. I try to pick them off, but sometimes I don't realize they're there until I start to itch at the bite spot. I have no idea how common Lyme disease is around here - hopefully not too common, otherwise it's just a matter of time until I get it.

verticaldoug
07-04-2014, 01:04 AM
I use deet religiously. I even keep a bottle of Ben's 100% around for those savage conditions.

572cv
07-04-2014, 06:40 AM
After much research into pros and cons of chemicals, odor, ease of use.... We've settled on Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent 20% Picaridin. The key ingredient for ticks is the Picaridin. So far this season, very effective.

YoKev
07-04-2014, 07:03 AM
I've tried everything and the best way to prevent tick bites is to constantly check yourself. Armpits, behind ears, waist, groin, back of knees...those are all popular areas. Give yourself a quick check every 10 minutes when outside. I do.

After riding or other outside activity, shower off ASAP. Any specks of "dirt" that still cling to you are all suspect. Investigate further. Have your S.O. help. Mirrors work too.

For what it's worth, this is all from life experience. Besides cycling, I have had an outside job for the past 15+ years working in Westchester, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess, and Ulster Counties. So far so good knock on wood...

Check out Jesse Venturas "Conspiracy Theory" episode on YouTube. Lyme Disease and Plum Island is the episode you want.

HenryA
07-04-2014, 05:46 PM
I have used the Sawyer brand permethrin spray on my clothes for a couple of years. Follow directions completely and spray your whole outfit (socks, pants, shirt). It absolutely works.

http://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Products-Permethrin-Clothing-Repellent/dp/B001ANQVYU/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1404513923&sr=1-1&keywords=Sawyer+permethrin%27

For me on a typical outing its the difference between 6 to 8 or more ticks and no ticks at all. Same for other bothersome biting stinging bugs.

Long pants and long sleeve shirts are much preferred.

paredown
07-04-2014, 10:32 PM
I've tried everything and the best way to prevent tick bites is to constantly check yourself. Armpits, behind ears, waist, groin, back of knees...those are all popular areas. Give yourself a quick check every 10 minutes when outside. I do.

After riding or other outside activity, shower off ASAP. Any specks of "dirt" that still cling to you are all suspect. Investigate further. Have your S.O. help. Mirrors work too.

For what it's worth, this is all from life experience. Besides cycling, I have had an outside job for the past 15+ years working in Westchester, Putnam, Orange, Dutchess, and Ulster Counties. So far so good knock on wood...

Check out Jesse Venturas "Conspiracy Theory" episode on YouTube. Lyme Disease and Plum Island is the episode you want.
You are extremely thorough and more than a bit lucky.

We're in the center of a tick 'red zone' in the Hudson Valley--and I have been bitten and infected three times, the most recent one was this spring.

Lyme's sucks big time--and I heartily second everything you have said.

You can by permethrin treated light weight expedition-style zip off trousers, and socks--also good to add a treated bandanna around your neck.

Louis
07-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Random comment:

I really don't mind the dog ticks that much. Relatively speaking, they're huge and easy to find and they don't carry Lyme disease. It's the teeny deer ticks that I hate.

Keith A
07-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Thanks for all the great info and product recommendations.

malcolm
07-05-2014, 08:34 AM
Keith I can't say I recommend this but it seemed to work. When in the military we used dog flea collars over the tops of our boots but on top of the sock or just inside bloused trousers. Not sure if you can even get them any more and I'm not sure of the active ingredient but suspect it was pyrethrin or permethrin. If your legs fall off or your brain shrinks up remember I didn't recommend it.