PDA

View Full Version : wiggle, campy & shimano-11

AngryScientist
07-03-2014, 06:44 PM
first off, i'm pretty sure there is not a better, more cost effective deal on wheels out there right now than zonda's from the UK. i dont know if they are changing the wheels for next year, but you can get a brand new set of zondas for about $370, shipped from the UK, right now. repeat, $370, shipped.

very happy with wiggle, ordered late last week and took delivery of the wheels today. went totally crazy and ordered them with a shimano-11 hub and an ultegra 6800 cassette. confirmed that shifting with campy-11 drivetrain is flawless. campy users look no further for inexpensive, good shifting 11-speed cassettes, 6800 is the jam.

the zondas - really nice wheels, light, and finished well. what really struck me is that these wheels are now shipping with a card claiming them to be 100% handmade. signature of wheelbuilder and QC checks right on the card. that's pretty cool IMO.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-i1HeghXhGMw/U7XpGxJgyBI/AAAAAAAABt8/WYFPBLKmmXQ/s1600/P1080234.JPG

thirdgenbird
07-03-2014, 06:57 PM
I thought the zonda on up have always been hand built.

Oh, and post pics of your bike!

donevwil
07-03-2014, 06:59 PM
After my fruitless "Travel bike wheelset - Wheelbuilders input appreciated" thread I've decided to buy a set of factory wheels and these are high on my list. After some scouring on Campy's website I found that they warranty their wheels for riders up to 240lbs.

So which wheels to choose, hmmm. Are these the 2-way fit or, what I guess are, standard ?

beeatnik
07-03-2014, 07:05 PM
+1 on Ultegra 6800 cassettes. Great price, great performance w/ Campy 11s

oldpotatoe
07-03-2014, 07:44 PM
After my fruitless "Travel bike wheelset - Wheelbuilders input appreciated" thread I've decided to buy a set of factory wheels and these are high on my list. After some scouring on Campy's website I found that they warranty their wheels for riders up to 240lbs.

So which wheels to choose, hmmm. Are these the 2-way fit or, what I guess are, standard ?

Campagnolo, as per their website, does, but if you have a problem, gotta send them back. No Campagnolo NA warranty, sorry. And often no 'Campagnolo' warranty from this UK MO place..'maybe' self warranty but not via a UK/Euro warranty center.

Ralph
07-03-2014, 08:57 PM
I also bought some Zonda's recently. Best wheel bargain out there. Standard clincher. New Michelins went on with my fingers. No rim strip needed.

If necessary, I know of two local wheel builders who have experience repairing and truing them. Mine were perfect out of the box, and still true with well over 500 miles on them now. I weigh 155. Don't lose the magnet.

ceolwulf
07-03-2014, 09:04 PM
the zondas - really nice wheels, light, and finished well. what really struck me is that these wheels are now shipping with a card claiming them to be 100% handmade. signature of wheelbuilder and QC checks right on the card. that's pretty cool IMO.

Even my lowly Khamsins (great wheels especially for the price) have this exact card, so I'm guessing they all must.

Pretty hard to get better value in wheels than Campy IMO. Been very tempted by a set of Zondas myself.

Tony T
07-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Did you scan the 2D bar code?

Bantamben
07-03-2014, 09:51 PM
That's cool about the ultegra cassette working. I wanted to get feedback on that. I was even thinking of buying a ultegra mid derailleur and getting the 11-32 cassette and running it on my campy.

ANAO
07-03-2014, 09:56 PM
That's cool about the ultegra cassette working. I wanted to get feedback on that. I was even thinking of buying a ultegra mid derailleur and getting the 11-32 cassette and running it on my campy.

:eek:

AngryScientist
07-03-2014, 09:59 PM

you want to do this with an athena-11 triple RD, works perfectly.

bluesea
07-03-2014, 10:22 PM
Have a set of Neutron Ultra coming in from the W. This will be my second set, considering I sold an older pair a little while ago. I'm boring that way.

donevwil
07-03-2014, 11:33 PM
Campagnolo does, but if you have a problem, gotta send them back. No Campagnolo NA warranty, sorry.

Good to know and something to consider, thanks OP. In the 90's I could call Campy NA, speak to an actual person and have an RMA# or replacement parts in the mail in short order. Apparently they had stock and did some warranty work there. I lived in SoCal so a couple times I drove and picked up the parts to prepare for a weekend race. Times change I guess.

Bantamben
07-03-2014, 11:43 PM
you want to do this with an athena-11 triple RD, works perfectly.

Ooh so you've tried ? Athena triple rear huh it will work on a 32 cassette. That would be awsome. I live in a really hilly area and there's a 12 percent two mile climb 3 miles away that would be much better if I could get a 32 maybe get the Rpms up into the high 60s

Llewellyn
07-04-2014, 12:39 AM
Just so you know you are all BAD, BAD people :mad:

I've just ordered a set of Zonda's from Chain Reaction to go on my Lynskey upgrade to 10 speed 105.

Wiggle were out of stock on Shimano and they were only $443 from CRC.......great value if they are as good as you guys claim.

Seriously :banana: :banana:

slidey
07-04-2014, 01:23 AM
What about the other way round, i.e. would a 6800 wheelset work with Campy 11s stuff?

oldpotatoe
07-04-2014, 06:11 AM
Good to know and something to consider, thanks OP. In the 90's I could call Campy NA, speak to an actual person and have an RMA# or replacement parts in the mail in short order. Apparently they had stock and did some warranty work there. I lived in SoCal so a couple times I drove and picked up the parts to prepare for a weekend race. Times change I guess.

Still can as a US bike shop..and often(at least I did), get replacement product from Campagnolo, NA.

The point is 'alternative distribution channels', and the UK deep discount MO places. If Campagnolo, NA reads the wee bar code, and they see it's from there-no warranty. The UK place 'may' warranty but mostly(all?) self warranty..replace from their inventory. The UK place doesn't go to a Campagnolo warranty center in Europe or UK and get the warranty.

AngryScientist
07-04-2014, 06:37 AM
What about the other way round, i.e. would a 6800 wheelset work with Campy 11s stuff?

yes, that's basically what i'm doing here. all campy drivetrain with a 6800 cogset. works perfectly, as expected.

Tony T
07-04-2014, 06:37 AM
To make a warranty claim, you only need to send the part back to Campy.
Campy warrants the product, not the store you purchased from.
Don't send it to Wiggle, Ribble, etc.
Only difference is that you need to send to a Campy center in the country you purchased from, so if you bought in the UK, send to a Campy center in the UK.

The Campy component bought from Wiggle is the same as bought from a US shop, only at less cost, and usually with free shipping. And sometimes the new products are sold in the UK before the US.

Just picked up a Chorus 11s cassette for $121 from Wiggle. :)

AngryScientist
07-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Ooh so you've tried ? Athena triple rear huh it will work on a 32 cassette. That would be awsome. I live in a really hilly area and there's a 12 percent two mile climb 3 miles away that would be much better if I could get a 32 maybe get the Rpms up into the high 60s

yes, works. do it!

oldpotatoe
07-04-2014, 06:40 AM
To make a warranty claim, you only need to send the part back to Campy.
Campy warrants the product, not the store you purchased from.
Don't send it to Wiggle, Ribble, etc.
Only difference is that you need to send to a Campy center in the country you purchased from, so if you bought in the UK, send to a Campy center in the UK.

The Campy component bought from Wiggle is the same as bought from a US shop, only at less cost, and usually with free shipping. And sometimes the new products are sold in the UK before the US.

Just picked up a Chorus 11s cassette for $121 from Wiggle. :)

Ohh but they do 'warranty' the store it comes from...

AND even that UK warranty place, after reading the barcode, seeing the distribution, very good chance they will refuse the warranty.

AND in the US, you cannot warranty direct to Campagnolo, NA but must go thru a LBS..probably like that in Europe also, altho not sure.

Not exactly the same..

AngryScientist
07-04-2014, 07:00 AM
yada yada yada, this isnt sram we're talking about here, warranty needs for campy stuff is harldy ever needed.

oldpotatoe
07-04-2014, 07:07 AM
yada yada yada, this isnt sram we're talking about here, warranty needs for campy stuff is harldy ever needed.

Yup

Ralph
07-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Zonda's are so relatively inexpensive, warranty never entered my mind. I was more interested getting a nice set of wheels that cost less than a set of hubs from some places, wheels that allowed a tire change on side of road, etc. To me....it's a bonus not to have to deal with rim strips, and I still like loose bearing smooth Campy hubs. As I said above, two local wheel builders have experience repairing and trueing these wheels. So no issues there. My other wheels are 32 hole "hand builts", they are fine also, no problems, etc, but cost more than the Zonda's. For traveling out of town, will probably still take the standard spoke wheels with Record hubs. Nice to be able to pop into a bike shop if necessary for a quick repair.

Now on some of these very expensive wheels some of you ride.....warranty is something to consider.

AngryScientist
07-04-2014, 08:58 AM
one thing i'm a little disappointed in is the cheapy skewers that come with this level of campy wheel, they just dont have that solid feel that the better campy skewers do, but i guess they have to hit a pricepoint with these.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-04-2014, 09:11 AM

Joachim
07-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Regular forumites should know by now that anytime 'Campy' and 'UK' are mentioned in the title, it's going to turn into 'warranty' something. So.... I found a super record rear der on Ribble and it's real cheap compared to the US. Will it explode if I use it?

slidey
07-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Oh sorry about that, I overlooked that bit in your post. So why didn't you go for the straight Campy freehub? I'm assuming that they were still in stock, since they sure are now (although Shim is sold out).

I guess, I still have a Q about the 'other way' - i.e. use Campy 11s wheelset on Shimano 11s groupset? Seems like they're interchangeable.

yes, that's basically what i'm doing here. all campy drivetrain with a 6800 cogset. works perfectly, as expected.

Joachim
07-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Oh sorry about that, I overlooked that bit in your post. So why didn't you go for the straight Campy freehub? I'm assuming that they were still in stock, since they sure are now (although Shim is sold out).

I guess, I still have a Q about the 'other way' - i.e. use Campy 11s wheelset on Shimano 11s groupset? Seems like they're interchangeable.

I do this... Campy wheels/cassette and KMC chain with 9000 drivetrain. Works great.

AngryScientist
07-04-2014, 10:37 AM

i went with the shimano freehub because, (a) ultegra cassettes are cheaper than chorus, and (b) i'll have the ability if necessary to run an 11-32 cassette for big climbing days, which is not an available 11-sp option for any campy cassette.

also, yes any 11-sp wheel will work with any of the new groups, campy-11, shimano-11 and sram-22. that means any wheel with any 11-sp cassette. this is, in reality great news for everyone IMO. the ability to use the ultegra cassette with an otherwise campy drivetrain is blissful.

beeatnik
07-04-2014, 10:41 AM

They are. Rear wheel below has a Campy R45 hub and Chorus cassette (DA9010 shifters). Haven't had a mis-shift in 500 miles.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3848/14334941407_6c74e998b0_c.jpg

slidey
07-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Awesome, thanks for the clarification Al!

Now, to the game.

They are. Rear wheel below has a Campy R45 hub and Chorus cassette (DA9010 shifters). Haven't had a mis-shift in 500 miles.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3848/14334941407_6c74e998b0_c.jpg

donevwil
07-04-2014, 11:26 AM
I just received a $65 discount code from Wiggle, that really makes a pair of Zondas pretty near disposable.

AngryScientist
07-04-2014, 12:22 PM
I just received a $65 discount code from Wiggle, that really makes a pair of Zondas pretty near disposable.

wow, howd you score that?

donevwil
07-04-2014, 12:38 PM
wow, howd you score that?

Just Wiggle's list email. It's a TDF special, "TDF-1" for $25 off when you spend $179 and "TDF-2" for $65 when you spend $359.

oldpotatoe
07-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Regular forumites should know by now that anytime 'Campy' and 'UK' are mentioned in the title, it's going to turn into 'warranty' something. So.... I found a super record rear der on Ribble and it's real cheap compared to the US. Will it explode if I use it?

Nope, and knowing what you are buying isn't a bad thing either. Had a customer come....broken SR rear der and set of Shamals, frequent broken spokes rear....here for the summer, asked about warranty, sent Rder in and replaced spoke on Shamal....to say he was 'unhappy' when Campagnolo, NA wouldn't warranty is an understatement. They did a search, rear der came from UK MO place. No warranty, send back to them.

I never fault the rider who gets a great deal, I fault the manufacturer for not controlling their distribution. And I think pointing out what you 'may' get for your at wholesale $ spent is not a bad thing.

AngryScientist
07-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Just Wiggle's list email. It's a TDF special, "TDF-1" for $25 off when you spend $179 and "TDF-2" for $65 when you spend $359.

that;s only for clothes, unfortunately.

donevwil
07-04-2014, 12:58 PM
that;s only for clothes, unfortunately.

Arghh ! Should have read the not-so-fine print before getting all giddy.

Tony T
07-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Had a customer come....broken SR rear der and set of Shamals, frequent broken spokes rear....here for the summer, asked about warranty, sent Rder in and replaced spoke on Shamal....to say he was 'unhappy' when Campagnolo, NA wouldn't warranty is an understatement. They did a search, rear der came from UK MO place. No warranty, send back to them.

Campy re-did their web-site, and I can't find current warranty info, however, a year ago, the procedure for return of a warranty item was:
"8. PROCEDURE: In the event of a defect covered by this warranty, the purchaser should contact an authorized Campagnolo Service Center of the nation where the retail sale occurred "

So, yes, Campy NA should have sent it back as the component needed to be sent to the nation where the retail sale occurred
There is a warranty, just need to follow Campy's procedures.

oldpotatoe
07-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Campy re-did their web-site, and I can't find current warranty info, however, a year ago, the procedure for return of a warranty item was:
"8. PROCEDURE: In the event of a defect covered by this warranty, the purchaser should contact an authorized Campagnolo Service Center of the nation where the retail sale occurred "

So, yes, Campy NA should have sent it back as the component needed to be sent to the nation where the retail sale occurred
There is a warranty, just need to follow Campy's procedures.

Not exactly the conversation I had with Dan Large, Campagnolo NA tech and warranty guy. But whatever.

Buy something from Planetcyclry, right down the street in Broomfield, CO, then ask Campagnolo NA to warranty...answer will be no.

Grey/black market is an issue with a LOT of bike product these days, not just Campagnolo. Ask shimano, who reduced their distribution in the us from 16 to 6 distributors. They didn't do this because they had too much business.

Tony T
07-04-2014, 02:49 PM
When I did my build, I bought my Campy Record components from ProBikKit.
I recorded the serial #'s at http://www.11speedowner.campagnolo.com and received the (extended) 4 year warranty.

I bought from the UK, saved a ton, and have a valid warranty.
I have no worries that Campy will honor the components I purchased from the UK

Here's what I received from Campy:

4 years warranty
Complete Campagnolo 11 Speed drivetrain
Unique Code ======
Date of purchase ======
Campagnolo 11 Speed drivetrain Record 11 speed

1. OBJECT
Campagnolo S.r.l., Via della Chimica 4, 36100 Vicenza, Italy (hereinafter “Campagnolo”), guarantees its products to be free from defects in materials or workmanship within the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty. If a product is found by Campagnolo to be defective, it will be repaired or replaced, at the option of Campagnolo, free of charge, by an authorized Campagnolo Service Center of the nation where the retail sale occurred (please make sure that after-sales service is available before making a purchase). Please note that in addition to this policy you may have specific legal rights granted by your national or state laws regarding warranties of consumer products.
2. NOT COVERED
This warranty does not cover: A) products without a legitimate sales receipt, because the date and place of retail purchase cannot be determined and because they may be of illegal or illicit origin (stolen, smuggled, sold in violation of fiscal laws etc); B) products whose identification markings have been removed (serial numbers, lot numbers, product code etc); C) products which reached the end of their normal lifespan; D) damage resulting from accidents, alteration, neglect, misuse or abuse, lack of reasonable or proper maintenance, corrosion, improper assembly, repairs improperly performed or replacement parts improperly installed, use of non-compatible replacement parts or accessories, use with non-compatible components, modifications not recommended or approved in writing by Campagnolo, normal wear and deterioration occasioned by the use of the product, commercial use; E) cosmetic imperfections in the surface, finish, or appearance of the product which were apparent or discoverable at the time of purchase of the product; F) damage occurring during shipment or transport of the product; G) lubricants, brake pads, and other consumables; H) any expenses related to the transportation of the product to or from an authorized Campagnolo Service Center; I) labor costs to remove the product from the bicycle; J) compensation for inconvenience or loss of use while the product is being repaired or replaced; K) products purchased in other nations (please contact the service centers of those nations).
3. PURCHASER
This warranty is made only with the original purchaser of the product and does not extend to any third parties. The rights of the Purchaser under this warranty may not be assigned.

4. TERM
The term of this warranty (2 or 3 years) is specified in the printed copy supplied with the product and shall commence on the date of retail purchase.
5. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
This warranty supersedes any and all oral, express or written warranties, statements or undertakings that may previously have been made, and contains the entire Agreement of the parties with respect to the warranty of this product. Any and all warranties not contained in this Agreement are specifically excluded.
6. DAMAGES
Except as expressly provided by this warranty, Campagnolo SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ASSOCIATED WITH THE USE OF THE PRODUCT OR A CLAIM UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WHETHER THE CLAIM IS BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE. The foregoing statements of warranty are exclusive and in lieu of all other remedies. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so this limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
7. DISCLAIMER
ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE OF TRADE, BY STATUTE OR OTHERWISE, IS HEREBY STRICTLY LIMITED TO THE TERM OF THIS WRITTEN WARRANTY. This agreement shall be the sole and exclusive remedy available to the Purchaser with respect to this purchase.In the event of any alleged breach of any warranty or any legal action brought by the purchaser based on alleged negligence or other tortuous conduct by Campagnolo, the Purchaser's sole and exclusive remedy will be repair or replacement of defective materials as stated above. No dealer and no other agent or employee of Campagnolo is authorized to modify, extend or enlarge this warranty. The performance of any warranty service under this Agreement is not an admission or agreement that the design or manufacture of a product is defective.
8. PROCEDURE
In the event of a defect covered by this warranty, the purchaser should contact an authorized Campagnolo Service Center of the nation where the retail sale occurred (authorized Service Centers are listed in the catalogues and in our web-site www.campagnolo.com). To be honoured, claims must be submitted within the warranty period and within eight days of discovery of the defect. The determination whether the defect is covered by this warranty is within the sole discretion of Campagnolo. Campagnolo reserves the right to discontinue products and to change specifications for existing products at any time without notice and shall not be obligated to incorporate new features into products previously sold, even if those products are returned under a warranty claim. Campagnolo may replace defective products with similar products in the event that identical products are unavailable. The purchaser must obtain a return authorization number before returning any product to a Campagnolo Service Center for warranty inspection. The number must appear on the outside of the product’s packaging. The issuance of an authorization number does not constitute acceptance of the claim, which will be evaluated by the Service Center upon its inspection of the product. The product complete in all its parts should be cleaned (dirty products will not be handled/inspected) and securely packed to prevent damage during shipment and must be accompanied by: A) dated invoice or receipt for proof of date and place of retail purchase; B) detailed description of the problem experienced with the product; C) a chronological list of the efforts made to correct the problem; D) list of the components used in conjunction with the product; E) estimated mileage; F) your name, address, phone numbers and e- mail; G) a specific request if you want that after the handling of the claim your personal data is not preserved for future reference.
9. APPLICABLE LAW
Any disputes arising out of this Agreement or the use of this product will be governed by the laws of the country of Italy and will be decided by the Courts of Vicenza, Italy.

10. WARNING
Always install, repair and use your product in strict compliance with the product’s instructions, which are also available as a downloadable file from our web site www.campagnolo.com www.campagnolo.com. Failure to do so might damage the products and cause a serious accident.
WARNING!
Avoid personal injury or death. Use only the parts and components specifically designed by Campagnolo for the Campagnolo® 11s drivetrain.
FURTHER EXCLUSIONS FROM THE GUARANTEE
The guarantee does not cover the components in the 11s drive (gasket, commands, gearbox, chain, derailleur and pinion pack) when they are fitted with components that are not original Campagnolo make.
REMINDER
In case of warranty you need to have:
- proove of purchase
- digital picture of your bike with the Campagnolo complete groupset 11 speed

oldpotatoe
07-04-2014, 03:14 PM
When I did my build, I bought my Campy Record components from ProBikKit.
I recorded the serial #'s at http://www.11speedowner.campagnolo.com and received the (extended) 4 year warranty.

I bought from the UK, saved a ton, and have a valid warranty.
I have no worries that Campy will honor the components I purchased from the UK

Here's what I received from Campy:

4 years warranty
Complete Campagnolo 11 Speed drivetrain
Unique Code ======
Date of purchase ======
Campagnolo 11 Speed drivetrain Record 11 speed

1. OBJECT
Campagnolo S.r.l., Via della Chimica 4, 36100 Vicenza, Italy (hereinafter “Campagnolo”), guarantees its products to be free from defects in materials or workmanship within the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty. If a product is found by Campagnolo to be defective, it will be repaired or replaced, at the option of Campagnolo, free of charge, by an authorized Campagnolo Service Center of the nation where the retail sale occurred (please make sure that after-sales service is available before making a purchase). Please note that in addition to this policy you may have specific legal rights granted by your national or state laws regarding warranties of consumer products.
2. NOT COVERED
This warranty does not cover: A) products without a legitimate sales receipt, because the date and place of retail purchase cannot be determined and because they may be of illegal or illicit origin (stolen, smuggled, sold in violation of fiscal laws etc); B) products whose identification markings have been removed (serial numbers, lot numbers, product code etc); C) products which reached the end of their normal lifespan; D) damage resulting from accidents, alteration, neglect, misuse or abuse, lack of reasonable or proper maintenance, corrosion, improper assembly, repairs improperly performed or replacement parts improperly installed, use of non-compatible replacement parts or accessories, use with non-compatible components, modifications not recommended or approved in writing by Campagnolo, normal wear and deterioration occasioned by the use of the product, commercial use; E) cosmetic imperfections in the surface, finish, or appearance of the product which were apparent or discoverable at the time of purchase of the product; F) damage occurring during shipment or transport of the product; G) lubricants, brake pads, and other consumables; H) any expenses related to the transportation of the product to or from an authorized Campagnolo Service Center; I) labor costs to remove the product from the bicycle; J) compensation for inconvenience or loss of use while the product is being repaired or replaced; K) products purchased in other nations (please contact the service centers of those nations).
3. PURCHASER
This warranty is made only with the original purchaser of the product and does not extend to any third parties. The rights of the Purchaser under this warranty may not be assigned.

4. TERM
The term of this warranty (2 or 3 years) is specified in the printed copy supplied with the product and shall commence on the date of retail purchase.
5. ENTIRE AGREEMENT
This warranty supersedes any and all oral, express or written warranties, statements or undertakings that may previously have been made, and contains the entire Agreement of the parties with respect to the warranty of this product. Any and all warranties not contained in this Agreement are specifically excluded.
6. DAMAGES
Except as expressly provided by this warranty, Campagnolo SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ASSOCIATED WITH THE USE OF THE PRODUCT OR A CLAIM UNDER THIS AGREEMENT, WHETHER THE CLAIM IS BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE. The foregoing statements of warranty are exclusive and in lieu of all other remedies. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so this limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
7. DISCLAIMER
ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE OF TRADE, BY STATUTE OR OTHERWISE, IS HEREBY STRICTLY LIMITED TO THE TERM OF THIS WRITTEN WARRANTY. This agreement shall be the sole and exclusive remedy available to the Purchaser with respect to this purchase.In the event of any alleged breach of any warranty or any legal action brought by the purchaser based on alleged negligence or other tortuous conduct by Campagnolo, the Purchaser's sole and exclusive remedy will be repair or replacement of defective materials as stated above. No dealer and no other agent or employee of Campagnolo is authorized to modify, extend or enlarge this warranty. The performance of any warranty service under this Agreement is not an admission or agreement that the design or manufacture of a product is defective.
8. PROCEDURE
In the event of a defect covered by this warranty, the purchaser should contact an authorized Campagnolo Service Center of the nation where the retail sale occurred (authorized Service Centers are listed in the catalogues and in our web-site www.campagnolo.com). To be honoured, claims must be submitted within the warranty period and within eight days of discovery of the defect. The determination whether the defect is covered by this warranty is within the sole discretion of Campagnolo. Campagnolo reserves the right to discontinue products and to change specifications for existing products at any time without notice and shall not be obligated to incorporate new features into products previously sold, even if those products are returned under a warranty claim. Campagnolo may replace defective products with similar products in the event that identical products are unavailable. The purchaser must obtain a return authorization number before returning any product to a Campagnolo Service Center for warranty inspection. The number must appear on the outside of the product’s packaging. The issuance of an authorization number does not constitute acceptance of the claim, which will be evaluated by the Service Center upon its inspection of the product. The product complete in all its parts should be cleaned (dirty products will not be handled/inspected) and securely packed to prevent damage during shipment and must be accompanied by: A) dated invoice or receipt for proof of date and place of retail purchase; B) detailed description of the problem experienced with the product; C) a chronological list of the efforts made to correct the problem; D) list of the components used in conjunction with the product; E) estimated mileage; F) your name, address, phone numbers and e- mail; G) a specific request if you want that after the handling of the claim your personal data is not preserved for future reference.
9. APPLICABLE LAW
Any disputes arising out of this Agreement or the use of this product will be governed by the laws of the country of Italy and will be decided by the Courts of Vicenza, Italy.

10. WARNING
Always install, repair and use your product in strict compliance with the product’s instructions, which are also available as a downloadable file from our web site www.campagnolo.com www.campagnolo.com. Failure to do so might damage the products and cause a serious accident.
WARNING!
Avoid personal injury or death. Use only the parts and components specifically designed by Campagnolo for the Campagnolo® 11s drivetrain.
FURTHER EXCLUSIONS FROM THE GUARANTEE
The guarantee does not cover the components in the 11s drive (gasket, commands, gearbox, chain, derailleur and pinion pack) when they are fitted with components that are not original Campagnolo make.
REMINDER
In case of warranty you need to have:
- proove of purchase
- digital picture of your bike with the Campagnolo complete groupset 11 speed

Did you type all this? Wow. I'm impressed.

Congratulations on using Campagnolo, regardless of where you got it and whatever the warranty may or may not, be.

Tony T
07-04-2014, 03:59 PM
I realize you're joking, but that's a copy/paste of the warranty I received when I recorded my serial #'s with Campy. Based on this, I see no issues with warranty of Gray Market purchases (not Black Market), however, I have not made a claim, so I can only base my opinion on what I've read (above), and there may be something in the fine print that I'm missing (the reason why I posted the warranty in full)

In the unlikely event that one of my Campy components fail, I'll post my warranty claim experience :)

gone
07-04-2014, 06:17 PM
The warranty issue comes up just about every time someone either says they got a good deal from overseas or asks about one of the overseas vendors. Lots of folks chime in saying "you're not covered".

The reality is (as has been pointed out above), Shimano and Campy components rarely, if ever, fail.

In the event they do, based on my experience the overseas suppliers will replace the failed component themselves and deal with Shimano/Campy instead of you having to do it.

Most recent experience:

Ordered a set of Shimano Ultegra 6700 shifters.
Right hand (rear) shifter failed (jammed, couldn't be freed).
Contacted the seller (Wiggle, in this case).
Got a return authorization number.
Sent the set back.
Wiggle sent me a brand new set
Wiggle refunded my cost of shipping them back.
They even called me to say they'd shipped the new ones.

Although there are several folks who always chime in on the warranty issue, the fact, based on my experience, is that the overseas retailers handle it themselves. If word got out (this is the internet, after all) that Wiggle/Ribble/... said "F* you, deal with Campy/Shimano UK" on any warranty claim their US business would dry up to nothing overnight.

oldpotatoe
07-04-2014, 06:26 PM
The warranty issue comes up just about every time someone either says they got a good deal from overseas or asks about one of the overseas vendors. Lots of folks chime in saying "you're not covered".

The reality is (as has been pointed out above), Shimano and Campy components rarely, if ever, fail.

In the event they do, based on my experience the overseas suppliers will replace the failed component themselves and deal with Shimano/Campy instead of you having to do it.

Most recent experience:

Ordered a set of Shimano Ultegra 6700 shifters.
Right hand (rear) shifter failed (jammed, couldn't be freed).
Contacted the seller (Wiggle, in this case).
Got a return authorization number.
Sent the set back.
Wiggle sent me a brand new set
Wiggle refunded my cost of shipping them back.
They even called me to say they'd shipped the new ones.

Although there are several folks who always chime in on the warranty issue, the fact, based on my experience, is that the overseas retailers handle it themselves. If word got out (this is the internet, after all) that Wiggle/Ribble/... said "F* you, deal with Campy/Shimano UK" on any warranty claim their US business would dry up to nothing overnight.

Doubt it, like you said, not a lot of Campag or shimano warranty issues.. Now scam on the other hand.

Pretty easy to figure out how US based resellers do it, they are distributors(those that import from manufacturer and sell to bike shops AND consumers) who own storefronts.

Not exactly sure how the UK places do it....as a consumer if ya get a screaming good deal, good for you.

nm87710
07-05-2014, 04:54 PM
check UK retailers

Tony Edwards
07-05-2014, 05:41 PM
I just bought a complete SR/Record drivetrain (with Chorus front der) from Ribble, together with Zondas. The price was incredible. Honestly I have no real concerns about warranty, since I have run Campy for decades without a single component failure. I would not have entertained paying any significant premium for US warranty coverage, because in my experience that would be a waste of time.

oldpotatoe
07-05-2014, 05:59 PM
I just bought a complete SR/Record drivetrain (with Chorus front der) from Ribble, together with Zondas. The price was incredible. Honestly I have no real concerns about warranty, since I have run Campy for decades without a single component failure. I would not have entertained paying any significant premium for US warranty coverage, because in my experience that would be a waste of time.

No premium, not what's going on.

Not gonna belabor this, it's not as simple as paying for 'NA Campagnolo warranty coverage', as if that's why US stuff is more expensive than the UK deep discounters. If you would like to discuss, PM or email.

gone
07-05-2014, 06:55 PM

Not gonna belabor this, it's not as simple as paying for 'NA Campagnolo warranty coverage', as if that's why US stuff is more expensive than the UK deep discounters. If you would like to discuss, PM or email.

Not intending to belabor this but wasn't it the case that Campy NA significantly raised prices across the board several years ago? I think they're charging what they think the US market "will bear" similar to the way the average cost for phone apps (via either Apple or Android) is less than $1 in Japan but over $5 in the US. Us "dumb 'mericans" will just cough up and pay.

The idea that any manufacturer (Campy included) can have geo based pricing in the internet age is borderline laughable.

Sadly, I do think this pricing strategy has hurt Campy in North America which is a damned shame IMO.

Tony Edwards
07-05-2014, 07:10 PM

I didn't mean to imply that warranty coverage was what accounted for the price difference. It's just that American vendors (and Campy US itself) now have to contend with foreign competitors which are just as convenient to use and can sell at a price the American stores never could, with a buying experience that is essentially just as convenient for the consumer. I do think it's unfair, and would just as soon patronize American stores, but not when the price difference is so gigantic.

tuscanyswe
07-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I didn't mean to imply that warranty coverage was what accounted for the price difference. It's just that American vendors (and Campy US itself) now have to contend with foreign competitors which are just as convenient to use and can sell at a price the American stores never could, with a buying experience that is essentially just as convenient for the consumer. I do think it's unfair, and would just as soon patronize American stores, but not when the price difference is so gigantic.

Isent it the american customs fees and vat or rather the lack there of a big part of the difference?

I know here we pay 25% more (vat) on imported goods upon arrival if the stores have deducted the vat on the purchase price as these stores do for american customers. Then on top of that we have an import fee. It usually amount to about 33% for cycling goods.

There must be tons of cash not collected and it also does not protect the american businesses as they cant compete. its actually not very american when i think about it. Its strange they dont seem to bother with such large sums of money.

Tony Edwards
07-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Isent it the american customs fees and vat or rather the lack there of a big part of the difference?

I know here we pay 25% more (vat) on imported goods upon arrival if the stores have deducted the vat on the purchase price as these stores do for american customers. Then on top of that we have an import fee. It usually amount to about 33% for cycling goods.

There must be tons of cash not collected and it also does not protect the american businesses as they cant compete. its actually not very american when i think about it. Its strange they dont seem to bother with such large sums of money.

I imagine that's true, though I have no idea of what amount of duty would apply to these kinds of shipments in the normal course of business. When I have bought these kinds of things from UK vendors the US has not assessed any duty in the course of shipment, even when the total shipment value was in excess of $2K.

druptight
07-05-2014, 10:04 PM
AHHHH, why do I always end up reading every post in every one of these warranty threads?!??! :eek:

oldpotatoe
07-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Not intending to belabor this but wasn't it the case that Campy NA significantly raised prices across the board several years ago? I think they're charging what they think the US market "will bear" similar to the way the average cost for phone apps (via either Apple or Android) is less than $1 in Japan but over $5 in the US. Us "dumb 'mericans" will just cough up and pay.

The idea that any manufacturer (Campy included) can have geo based pricing in the internet age is borderline laughable.

Sadly, I do think this pricing strategy has hurt Campy in North America which is a damned shame IMO.

Not even close, Campagnolo NA belongs to Campagnolo Italy..Campagnolo NA set no pricing.

ALL legit Campagnolo comes through distributors, they pay the manufacturer, resell to retailers at a margin to stay in biz.

After that, a retailer sets pricing depending on their required margin.

SOME US retailers are owned by distributors, and in an attempt to compete with the UK deep discounters, sell at wholesale prices. PlanetCyclery is in this category.

UK and European laws are quite different than the ones in the US. IF a US retailer sells Campagnolo at a deep discount, places like QBP can say to that retailer, don't do that or we will not sell to you in the future. NOT price fixing, controlling distribution. No pricing suggestions made.

In Europe, once the contract is let, manufacturer to distributor or retailer...or the stuff comes out of a 'back door', retailer can sell for anything and the manufacturer MUST sell to retailer. AND yes, there are some distributors who own store fronts in Europe.

So, not really this small office in Carlsbad, CA, with 4 people conspiring to raise prices cuz of the dum 'mericans'.

Many European, US and Asian brands BTW..look at the prices of Look pedals or Continental tires...many others.

The 'solution' is do distribute your own stuff, like Mavic..but that's expensive.

And for Tony Edwards above, at least in the US, it is more than unfair, it is unethical, IMHO and probably illegal. BUT a really small fish. I know of a shimano outside rep, employed by shimano, who went with another shimano guy to PlanetCyclery and dove their dumpster trying to find out where they got their shimano, looking for invoices. shimano reduced their distribution to 6 from about 16..to try to control this in the US..

gone
07-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the "behind the scenes" insights. As someone not in the biz, I obviously don't have visibility into Campy or Shimano distribution agreements or restrictions.

I will say though that using my admittedly fuzzy memory, up until about 5 years ago when I'd compare prices on Campy components the domestic prices were competitive enough with what could be gotten internationally that it made sense to buy domestically and avoid the shipping times, return hassles, etc., associated with ordering overseas.

That changed and I assumed it was because prices were raised in NA. It's possible, perhaps even likely given what you've written, especially the part I highlighted, that what happened is the international sellers dropped their prices rather than the domestic sellers raising theirs. All I know is international suddenly became a lot cheaper relative to domestic. N.B. The 5 years is a guess but I know it happened at some point because I stopped buying Campy domestically.

Not even close, Campagnolo NA belongs to Campagnolo Italy..Campagnolo NA set no pricing.

ALL legit Campagnolo comes through distributors, they pay the manufacturer, resell to retailers at a margin to stay in biz.

After that, a retailer sets pricing depending on their required margin.

SOME US retailers are owned by distributors, and in an attempt to compete with the UK deep discounters, sell at wholesale prices. PlanetCyclery is in this category.

UK and European laws are quite different than the ones in the US. IF a US retailer sells Campagnolo at a deep discount, places like QBP can say to that retailer, don't do that or we will not sell to you in the future. NOT price fixing, controlling distribution. No pricing suggestions made.

In Europe, once the contract is let, manufacturer to distributor or retailer...or the stuff comes out of a 'back door', retailer can sell for anything and the manufacturer MUST sell to retailer. AND yes, there are some distributors who own store fronts in Europe.

So, not really this small office in Carlsbad, CA, with 4 people conspiring to raise prices cuz of the dum 'mericans'.

Many European, US and Asian brands BTW..look at the prices of Look pedals or Continental tires...many others.

The 'solution' is do distribute your own stuff, like Mavic..but that's expensive.

oldpotatoe
07-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the "behind the scenes" insights. As someone not in the biz, I obviously don't have visibility into Campy or Shimano distribution agreements or restrictions.

I will say though that using my admittedly fuzzy memory, up until about 5 years ago when I'd compare prices on Campy components the domestic prices were competitive enough with what could be gotten internationally that it made sense to buy domestically and avoid the shipping times, return hassles, etc., associated with ordering overseas.

That changed and I assumed it was because prices were raised in NA. It's possible, perhaps even likely given what you've written, especially the part I highlighted, that what happened is the international sellers dropped their prices rather than the domestic sellers raising theirs. All I know is international suddenly became a lot cheaper relative to domestic. N.B. The 5 years is a guess but I know it happened at some point because I stopped buying Campy domestically.

Nope..about the time of the rise of UK places..I think they are distributors, selling to retailer AND consumers, like a couple or more in the US. Distributor in Europe goes to manufacturer, says he's a distributor..signs the contract. THEN distributor, who DOES sell to bike shops, decides to sell direct also..why a lot of the prices are really close to wholesale to retailers. These 'distributors' get the same margin regardless if they sell to consumer or bike shop. They stay in biz cuz they pay 35% less to manufacturers. They aren't relying on volume to stay in biz.

BUT manufacturer can't cut them off in Europe. Campagnolo tried to with one of these places and got SUED..and lost...

rePhil
07-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Not to keep beating a dead horse but...After reading this thread on Saturday I decided to order a pair of Zondas from Wiggle. I ordered them Sunday morning. I received them about an hour ago. Price was $376. Shipping was free. Delivered by DHL, signature required. DHL even called earlier in the day to let me know they were on the way and needed a signature.
So from ordering on Sunday to delivery on Tuesday. WOW.
I would not like to have to compete against that.

donevwil
07-10-2014, 04:02 PM
Ribble now has a 10% discount so the total for a pair of Zondas shipped is $361.61. Hmm, I wonder if I can do better if I wait a little longer ?