PDA

View Full Version : Stolen bike story worth a read charles

cnighbor1
07-03-2014, 11:03 AM
Jenny Oh who runs a stolen bike bike site on line in SF wrote this,''Saw this on reddit - a fine story of excellent detective work from a Chicago cyclist!

"Fellow cyclists, I live on the near north side of Chicago.
Cliffnotes version: 6/18, Two bikes stolen from my deck in Chicago's Lincoln Square neighborhood. I found the thief, and one of my bikes on a Chicago Bike Sellers Facebook page. That bike, my Surly, was sold (according to someone on the thread). I befriended someone who I deduced was connected to the thief, offered him $500 to get my All-City (which wasn't posted, but I knew he had it or could find out). It worked. He found it, stole it from whoever had it, and I went to meet him with half dozen cops. He was arrested and charged with a felony.
http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/195309

Long version:
I had returned home from a ride on my All-City Mr. Pink on 6/18, and was soaked from the rain. I race for a local team, so I ride rain or shine. When I got home, I set it next to our back door. I opened the door, and pulled my Surly Long Haul Trucker out onto the deck because it was in the kitchen, where I sometimes store it. The plan was to go inside to change out of my wet clothes, come back, wipe off my road bike, put it inside, and then take my Surly downstairs to our secure storage unit, where I keep it every day. This is usually not a worry.

Well, I went in to change. Came back 10 minutes later, poured myself a Gatorade, went outside to the deck, and they were both gone. It was a brazen heist, because of the duration, and the way our deck is configured (you can't see our deck from the alley. You'd have to be in the backyard, which is secured(?) with a 10-ft. high gate.) And we have plants and furniture obscuring the deck from plain sight. So I have reason to believe I was cased, followed, or targeted.

Anyway, I ran outside and saw our back gate propped open. They were gone. I ran around the block and alleys, then got in the car and drove to look. Nothing. I called the police to file a report. I was infuriated at the thieves, myself, God, Nature, the universe, etc. I grabbed a flashlight and looked around Waters Elementary's garden to see if they were stashed. Nothing. I called the police and made a report.
I included as much detail here as possible, from the point where I found the bikes online, to recovery. Hopefully it's clear. There were many Facebook contacts involved. I did my best to distill them here. On Friday morning 6/19, while I was at work, a friend of mine and local bike mechanic, with whom I used to wrench at On The Route at Lawrence/Western, alerted me that one of my two stolen bikes, the Surly Long Haul Trucker, was posted on one of the Chicago Bike Sellers' Facebook pages (it was referenced on Find Stolen Bikes Chicago! which took me to the above mentioned group).

Not sure about other cities, but in Chicago there are a half dozen of these Facebook groups, where kids post pictures of the ···· they steal and try to flip it for a quick buck. I was astonished, because this is a heavy-ass 35-lb. touring bike. What the ···· would these skinny, stupid high school kids want with a Trucker? Turn it into a fixie? Yeah, right.

Now, when people post bikes, components or other items, the ensuing comments are frequently tags of other Facebook users, which I assume is intended to alert them and draw interest to the item for sale. One commenter (Victor S) made a joking comment indicating that the person behind the original post stole bikes all the time. Regarding the original poster, and unconfirmed thief: Based on other Facebook comments, a couple emails I received, and even a phone call from a local concerned bike shop on 6/19, I was convinced this was the thief. His Facebook name is "Meta Phor," a notorious and well-known thief (again, based on the communications I received). He lives in Albany Park, a neighborhood where bike thieves seem to gravitate, according to a response he posted when someone asked his location while try to sell another stolen part.

Once I saw the comment singling out Meta Phor, I clicked through the Friends lists of several of the commenters, using good old stalking tactics. I cross-checked Meta Phor with other people, based on their comments, commenting frequency, and gut instinct. A few were friends with the Meta Phor. I Facebook Message'd a half dozen of them and asked them to correspond with the Meta Phor, if he still had both bikes. I even messaged Meta Phor directly, asking how much he wanted. At no point did I accuse him of theft, nor did I indicate they were my bikes, though I assume he could smell it.

Victor responded, and said he'd ask Meta Phor. Victor henceforth became my conduit of communication with the Meta Phor. Moments later, Victor said that the Surly was sold for $125. He even sent me a screenshot of his text conversation with the thief. I asked him about the All-City (which was not posted on Facebook), but Victor didn't pick up on that.

I offered Victor $300 and $500 if he could lead me to the Surly and All-City, respectively. He said that Meta Phor sold the All-City, too. I kept my offer on the table, so that if Victor could find out who the bikes were sold to, I would pay. Knowing that bikes and components are flipped very quickly for very cheap on Facebook, I figured my high offer would keep him interested. I assured him that no cops would be involved, no questions asked. Astonishingly, it worked. Victor said he'd get back in touch with me after work.

Around 6:30 pm 6/19, Victor sent me a message saying he knew the location of my All-City. I reaffirmed my offer. Victor said he would message me when he had the bike. Around 8 pm, Victor said he had the bike. I offered to meet at Welles Park. He declined, and proposed N. Drake and W. Wilson Ave. I agreed, and said I would alert him when I was close.

I drove with two friends. On the way, I called 911 to arrange CPD. Officers instructed us to meet at a nearby intersection. We met officers, which took 10 minutes for them to show up, where I provided my report number and proof of ownership. They instructed us to drive to Drake and Wilson, and text them when the transaction happens. Three or four squad cars, marked and unmarked, parked in nearby alleys and either side of the intersection, out of sight. They weren't ····ing around, once I told them the value of the bike - $3,500.

I messaged Victor when we pulled up to the intersection. He walked to the sidewalk with my bike, appearing from a gate at the apartment on the southwest corner. He was a 17-year-old Hispanic male, accompanied by a young woman and a couple other young males. My friend and I walked over, politely, and looked at the bike. It was missing some parts, including the front derailleur, front shifter, all cables, and saddle. I asked where the other parts were, and Victor said he didn't know. I asked where he found it, and Victor simply said, "I took it."

(I could only imagine how many times my bike changed hands throughout the day: Stolen from me, then sold and stolen again in an effort to be resold to me—truly "Meta.")

About 30 seconds later, Law & Order-style, CPD pulled up from every direction in the intersection. I had the bike in hand. Victor & Co. started down the sidewalk, where Victor was arrested.

Officers instructed us to meet them at the 17th District station on Pulaski/Leland. There, I recounted the theft, provided all the information requested, and the bike was inventoried and release to me. The officers explained Victor would be charged with possession of stolen/mislaid property, a felony, due to the high value of the bike. I don't believe Victor was the original thief, but I had no reason not to think he was.

They indicated Victor had a rap sheet already and was believed to be associated with the Latin Kings. The CPD said that the chances of recovery beyond 24 hours are slim—so I lucked out. CPD also warned me that I might get harassed online, but I likely wouldn't encounter any direct retaliation (I haven't experience either). There will be a court date, TBD.

My All-City is banged and bruised, but not beaten. My Surly Long Haul Trucker is still out there, but I'm satisfied with this recovery. Hopefully this gives hope to other victims of bike theft.

Furthermore, in filing my insurance claim for my Surly and the missing parts from the All-City, the company informed me that if Victor is found guilty, they will go after him in subrogation (sue his ass) to get their claim money back. Double-whammy.
So, there you have it. Long story, and it's made for a stressful week, but at least I got a thief arrested. Pretty happy about that.
Keep your bikes close, kids."

Gsinill
07-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Kudos and congrats to the guy.
Not sure though about his postmortem.
I would probably celebrate quietly and try as much as I can to stay out of the spotlight.
Call me a chicken, but this is Chicago and: "They indicated Victor had a rap sheet already and was believed to be associated with the Latin Kings."
Member in jail - gang most likely not happy!

gavingould
07-03-2014, 04:14 PM
that particular Facebook group and a few others are well known to many cyclists in Chicago. when someone i know has something stolen that's the first place we look.

last summer these teenagers all got into crappy fixed-gear bikes for some reason, and they like to steal from each other and anyone else whose bikes aren't nailed down... commonly they'll post about how they have 15 different sets of bars, dozens of front/tail lights, fenders, single wheels, saddles, etc all at low prices - 95% of they time they have no measurements/details/knowledge of what they've got. they know they can get more for a Brooks saddle so those are hot on the market these days, but they don't know the differences between a wheel, a tire, and a rim.

there's talk of doing bait bikes and stings, but i strongly doubt the police would be on board; they've got bigger fish to fry. likely there will be some vigilante justice up to the point where someone gets shot trying to get their bike back.

swap meets are also a source of retrieval; i've heard several stories of people looking for their stolen items being followed and intimidated.
i no longer lock up a bike outdoors anywhere - that's what Divvy bikeshare is for...

Chicago Bike Selling: https://www.facebook.com/groups/244863329005063/

Ahneida Ride
07-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Over the Memorial day weekend, some 40 odd people were shot in Chicago.

jvp
07-03-2014, 04:37 PM
That FB page is scary.