PDA

View Full Version : Taking off difficult flatbar grips

bobswire
07-02-2014, 03:17 PM
A neat little trick I found taking off a set of Grip Shift rubber grips that have been on a bike for 19 years.
I'm the original owner of a G. Fisher mountain bike I purchased in 1995 and recently got it back from a friend I gave it to years ago. Anyway I needed to change handlebars and wanted to save the grips and experimented using a 2mm allen with a rounded head and slid it all way between the grips and bars creating an air pocket that enabled me to slide the grips off without damaging them.
Make sure whatever you use has a smooth or rounded head so it won't gouge a hole in the grip.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2qmhlbl.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/353bku0.jpg

RAS72
07-02-2014, 03:23 PM
yep. Did this in my younger motocross days. Sometimes I'd add a little compresses air.

gdw
07-02-2014, 03:32 PM
+1 Wooden chopsticks work well too. After you create the air pocket pour a little water into the gap and twist the grip. The water acts as a lubricant and the grip will slide right off.

spartanKid
07-02-2014, 03:42 PM
yep. Did this in my younger motocross days. Sometimes I'd add a little compresses air.

+1 Compressed air

p nut
07-02-2014, 03:54 PM
I have a dedicated tool for this. It's the metal support on windshield wipers. The two long flat metal pieces that support the tubber wiper blades. It has rounded corners and easy to slip in between the handlebars. I just stick it in, pry open a bit and pour some rubbing alcohol in there. Slips right off, usually.

bobswire
07-02-2014, 04:34 PM
The reason I posted this was last week I needed an inner tube for 35mm tire and went by a LBS on Valencia st. I noticed a wrench cutting a pair of really nice looking grips off a set of bars. He was using a box cutter scoring the grips while trying not to cut into the bars. I told him I had a better way of taking off grips, and save them too,he said he didn't have time to mess around. Okey dokey.

tiretrax
07-02-2014, 04:58 PM
The reason I posted this was last week I needed an inner tube for 35mm tire and went by a LBS on Valencia st. I noticed a wrench cutting a pair of really nice looking grips off a set of bars. He was using a box cutter scoring the grips while trying not to cut into the bars. I told him I had a better way of taking off grips, and save them too,he said he didn't have time to mess around. Okey dokey.

If he save the grips, the shop would miss a sale on a high margin item. LBS did that to a friend with bar tape.

p nut
07-02-2014, 10:35 PM
If he save the grips, the shop would miss a sale on a high margin item. LBS did that to a friend with bar tape.

Wow, that would be my last visit to that shop.

enr1co
07-02-2014, 11:41 PM
I typically use a skinny plastic write bros. type pen to create a gap and then liberally squirt windex or similar in between. A few little twists to work the windex in and the grip slides right off. Also use the windex when sliding grips back on.

The wood/bamboo chopstick sounds like a good call also.

pdmtong
07-03-2014, 12:48 AM
I always used hairspray to slide and "glue" the grips on...will have to try windex next time.

yup...squirt some water in there else blast with compressed air to remove

ultraman6970
07-03-2014, 12:50 AM
You can lift the rubber a little bit with anything and then drop some soapy water inside or alcohol.

DfCas
07-03-2014, 07:51 AM
One advantage to being diabetic. I use an insulin syringe and inject water through the grip and makes them easy to get off.

oldpotatoe
07-03-2014, 04:08 PM

Compressor? He have one? How bike shops 'should' take off and install(with hairspray) all grips.