PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cable modem and wireless router

sjbraun
07-01-2014, 10:23 PM
I've about had it with the poor DSL performance I'm getting from Century Link. I've ditched cable and stream whatever video we watch, mostly Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.
My only other option is Cox cable. They claim download speeds of 25 mbps for about what I'm paying for marginal DSL service.

I'm going to need a DOCSIS 3.0 compatible modem and wireless router.

Would any of you have a recommendation?

Thanks

-Steve

eddief
07-01-2014, 10:36 PM
but Comcast does not encourage purchasing your own modem. Why would they when they can rent you one for the rest of your damn life? I think the only place you can / could buy your own modem for Comcast service is from one dude at Bestbuy. This may be more true for a modem that combines internet and phone...which mine does.

My point is...double check and make sure Cox will turn on service on a modem bought by the customer.

Mark McM
07-02-2014, 09:35 AM
but Comcast does not encourage purchasing your own modem. Why would they when they can rent you one for the rest of your damn life? I think the only place you can / could buy your own modem for Comcast service is from one dude at Bestbuy. This may be more true for a modem that combines internet and phone...which mine does.

My point is...double check and make sure Cox will turn on service on a modem bought by the customer.

Not true - Comcast is perfectly fine with a customer buying and using their own cable modems. In fact, if you go to the Comcast web site and type "Compatible cable modems" into the search box, you'll get a list compatible modems (http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/), which indicates the ones that can be bought at retail (I'm currently using a modem I bought myself with my Comcast service). The only exception is if you use the Xfinity Voice service, which requires an eMTA modem. Comcast only guarantees support for an eMTA modem leased from them.

Going to the Cox Cable web site and type "Compatible cable modems" into the search box also produces a list of Cox Compatible Cable Modems (http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=b2ec95d0-7ef9-11df-5590-000000000000)(I don't have any experience with the Cox system).

ultraman6970
07-02-2014, 09:41 AM
My experience with them... get anything docsis 3... call the guy and he will ask you for the mac addres and other crap that are in the labels under the device and the dude will set it up for you.

Some cable modems have router incorporated but honestly can't remember a single one right now, what you can do is to get any linksys or belkin router behind the cable modem and you should be ok. I'm assuming you know what are you doing but in general lines pretty much any brand of router should be ok unless you are looking for something special for the router to do. Assuming home use. Enterprise is a different story.

Many routers now a days have Comcast as a preconfiguration option, just select that and the router will do the stuff, that in general lines is just clone the mac address of one of your computers network cards so comcast knows there is just one pc behind the modem. Just technisism (sp) of how they work.

Good luck.

45K10
07-02-2014, 09:42 AM
I have provided my own modem (Comcast) in the past but currently I use the modem/router provided by TWC.

In my experience with Comcast, the first thing they would blame if I was having problems was my modem.

So far, with TWC if I have problems they log onto their modem, make any changes and I am back in business

Two different companies so not a direct comparison. IMO I would just go with modem/ router provided by the cable company just to avoid any headaches.

2turtles
07-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Comcast obsoleted (would not support) my old cable modem and forced me to buy a new one (Docsis 3.0). Bandwidth improved for a little while, but they still throttle at times.

kramnnim
07-02-2014, 10:13 AM
TWC used to provide modems at no charge...had several problems, had to swap out the modems twice. Once they started to charge "rent", I bought a Motorola from Amazon, no issues since.

As far as routers go, I bought one of the blue Linksys WRT54g routers that was so well regarded at the time...it lasted a good 8 years. Replaced it with a fancy ASUS that was on sale from Newegg, haven't touched it since I got it 6 months ago.

brockd15
07-02-2014, 10:24 AM
I recently switched from AT&T DSL, which was terrible, to TWC cable, which initially was equally terrible. I was using their modem/router combo and service dropped all the time, was super slow, and just all around bad. I replaced it with a separate router and modem of my own, and setting it up with their support line was a pain, but once done it's been solid.

Unfortunately, I don't recall which modem and router I got, so I have no answer to the actual question. :)

1centaur
07-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Read Amazon reviews carefully and cross check against your cable company's approved list. Read cable company forum for discussions. Don't go to the bleeding edge of new modems. Comcast still fumbled the switchover from their modem to mine, but it was done in a few hours and has been flawless ever since. Good payback on your money, IMO. I am now getting more than my promised speed (22 vs. 20).

p nut
07-02-2014, 01:13 PM
Yeah, Centurylink is the pits. I've been getting some horrible service. As soon as my contract is up, I am switching back to Comcast.

I bought my modem/router, and would do so again. I believe they were going to charge $5/month on the modem. I believe the modem is $40-50, which would pay for itself in less than a year, so it makes sense. I've not had one go out on my yet, so not a big risk in my opinion.

lookout2015
07-02-2014, 01:20 PM
I've about had it with the poor DSL performance I'm getting from Century Link. I've ditched cable and stream whatever video we watch, mostly Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.
My only other option is Cox cable. They claim download speeds of 25 mbps for about what I'm paying for marginal DSL service.

I'm going to need a DOCSIS 3.0 compatible modem and wireless router.

Would any of you have a recommendation?

Thanks

-Steve

I'd recommend doing wireless and modem separate if you're comfortable managing the wireless yourself

If you go that route here's what Cox supports:

http://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet/article.cox?articleId=b2ec95d0-7ef9-11df-5590-000000000000

I'd pick either the Cisco DPC3010s or one of the Motorolas that they rate for Ultimate (SB6141 or SB6180/2/3). Cisco 3010 and the Moto 618x are based on a Broadcom chipset while the Moto 6141 is TI (which, in biking terms, is about like Shimano vs Campy)

yoshirider
07-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Confirming what ultraman said. I've had Cox since 2003 and they allow you to use your own equipment or else they will charge you $6 or $7 to rent their equipment. All you need to do is call their customer service dept and give them the mac address of the modem.

+1 for Motorola

As for the speed on Cox, we have the Preferred level of service which is rated at 25Mbps, but interestingly speedtest.net shows 40Mbps when we do a test. I have no complaints about their service.

ultraman6970
07-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Some of you used the word throttle... well dsl and cable modem are totally different services, not that cable modem is slow the problem is that they pull certain amount of bandwidth for a group of users, you are capped to what ever the service you are paying too. The thing is that the pool of bandwidth is shared with a max of what ever you are paying, that means that if all of your guys in your "pipe" are using video online, radios and downloading movies at the same time the bandwidth will decrease. So cable modem is shared... in the case of dsl (there are different types) but the thing is that you have a channel open for you in exclusive that has whatever the bandwidth you bought, somehow is better because speed should be more stable the issue is that speeds arent that great at this point comparing with fiber optic services ISP's like verizon for example or what the cable company can give you.

pcxmbfj
07-03-2014, 04:18 AM
I was an engineer at AT&T when we first introduced DSL service and installed many networks.
It is a switched service compared to cables "bus" service.
Switched is a more efficient protocol but it is switching a lower capacity service because of the limitations of the physical layer.
That said once you determine carrier service, getting to the router is the same, usually a cat 5/6 patch cable so you should be able to use router of choice.
I use CL dsl at home and CC cable at the condo.
Would use cable at home but get a retiree discount on landline service:)
More a economic than technical choice.

josephr
07-06-2014, 06:52 PM
I've got Charter cable and they now give you a Motorola SurfBoard at no charge...I sold my modem on the 'bay which was also a Motorola SurfBoard. It was very reliable.

Routers---I've had them all...currently using a Cisco its been a decent router. Range could be better though but it covers the house.
Joe