PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else running two forks?

Hepmike
07-01-2014, 07:20 PM
I had this idea, seems like it might be more effort then it's worth, but I'd have two different interchangeable forks (with same rake/steerer tube length) loaded with lower races that I could switch out by season. A lightweight carbon thing for Summer, and a more compliant/durable one for winter/ training...

RedRider
07-01-2014, 07:27 PM
You would probably achieve the same thing with two different wheelsets and tire selections.

FlashUNC
07-01-2014, 07:35 PM
One thing I'll never say about a fork to a mechanic: Put the less durable one on.

As RedRider mentions, wheels and tires you'll notice. Forks -- unless a change in geometry -- not so much.

zzy
07-01-2014, 08:36 PM
I switched forks on my track bike. The change in rake is very noticeable, as is the overall stiffness.

pbarry
07-01-2014, 09:15 PM
Just buy another frame for winter or summer use, (whichever one you are currently lacking). That's what we do here. ;)

kramnnim
07-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Just buy another frame for winter or summer use, (whichever one you are currently lacking). That's what we do here. ;)

This. :banana:

eddief
07-01-2014, 09:21 PM
The bike was built for medium reach brakes. So the travel fork is an IRD carbon fork with alloy steer tube and built for med reach brake. That gets thrown in the box when I travel.

At home it sports and Enve all carbon and I just install a normal reach front brake.. Can't really much tell the difference in my style of riding, but aesthetics go to Enve.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2014, 06:55 AM
I had this idea, seems like it might be more effort then it's worth, but I'd have two different interchangeable forks (with same rake/steerer tube length) loaded with lower races that I could switch out by season. A lightweight carbon thing for Summer, and a more compliant/durable one for winter/ training...

or

Dead Man
07-02-2014, 08:29 AM
I considered doing this, but mine was for different reasons - I was going to do it on my cross commuter so I could enjoy lighter weight and better braking from a front DP caliper brake until fall, then put the cross fork back on for fenders and cross races.

I determined it's totally feasible... just as you say, run the right crown race and it's a snap to swap them over. I didn't do it because I have different plans now.

DRZRM
07-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Different circumstances, but I had my Zanc 29er built around a suspension fork, but bought a nearly matching rigid carbon fork (White Brothers) in case I wanted to lighten things up. Mike suggested I pick one and stick with it and I should have listened. I have never bothered installing the rigid fork, though I do consider buying a ti 29er frame to build up rigid.

charliedid
07-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Nope, but considering one of these.

Hepmike
07-02-2014, 11:10 AM
So based on responses, it's a less common idea then I expected. For the record I do have a dedicated winter bike, but there are times during the warmer/drier seasons when I don't feel like taking the carbon out.

I'm also surprised by the responses that indicate I won't notice much in the way of handling/feel changing up forks, but I suppose I could use this as an opportunity to experiment and find out for myself...

keevon
07-02-2014, 01:09 PM
I swap forks regularly on two bikes. All have the same crown race.

- Steel road bike gets the original steel fork or a wider and slightly taller fork for 650b wheels.

- Fixed gear gets the original caliper-brake fork or a disc-brake fork depending on the season.

I treat forks like any other component - something to be swapped in or out depending on my current needs / mood. Easy enough to do with threadless stems.

donevwil
07-02-2014, 02:11 PM
I've considered getting a steel fork for my wife's Hampsten GPTi with stock Enve 2.0. The rear will clear a 30 if not more, but the Enve clears 26 at best. Steve Hampsten did confirm that he could make a fork with specs identical to the Enve that would clear the same as the rear. It would be a nice option for my wife when touring or going off pavement.

paredown
07-02-2014, 07:46 PM
I've have though about incorporating this idea when I build by dream touring rig--fork with attachments for fender/pannier and a carbon fork for light touring.

I always thought it would be an easy thing to do--just use the same brand of headset and make sure the forks are similar rake and length...

phutterman
07-02-2014, 08:03 PM
I kind of do this; I typically use a carbon fork with slightly less tire clearance (and slightly different steering geo) on one bike and very occasionally swap its original steel fork back on for extra tire clearance. I do keep a crown race on each, so it's a quick swap, but I still do it pretty infrequently.

fogrider
07-03-2014, 12:16 AM
I found a Ron Cooper frame without the original fork and got it rolling with a carbon fork. it took a little time to track down an old Cooper steel fork. I still need a second race for it, but I will give it a try. I had to have the threads of the steel steerertube cut off and the tube extended for new setup. The steel fork is at least 2 pounds, so I'm thinking of flatter rides in the bay area. Note that many "flat" rides in the bay area still involve about 3,000 feet of climbing.