PDA

View Full Version : Stan's wheelset offerings? More $>spokes

eippo1
07-01-2014, 10:59 AM
So still mulling wheelsets and deciding between building a custom wheelset or getting a set of Stans to run tubeless. I don't want this to turn into a tubeless debate because that horse has been beaten, but my question is their odd wheelset offerings.

I get the whole Pro wheelset having TI parts blah blah blah, but seems asinine to me is the difference between the Comp and the Team. I get that the Team is lighter, but they get that weight difference only through less spokes 20/24 vs 24/28. So really the difference between them is less spokes and stainless steel bearings ($20 part) for $150 more? Am I missing something because that just seems plain stupid. Is everyone so concerned with weight that they are willing to pay way more for less in every way?

Team link:
http://www.notubes.com/-Alpha-340-Team-Wheelset--P910.aspx
Comp link:
http://www.notubes.com/Alpha-340-Comp-Wheelset--P895.aspx

ShaneAtSilca
07-01-2014, 12:28 PM
It does appear that those are the only differences. If there is anything else it is not clear from the pages you linked.

Mark McM
07-01-2014, 12:30 PM
There's a few more difference between these two wheels than just the number of spokes. If nothing else, the number of spokes can't make a difference of 165 grams. From the specs., I can see at least these differences:

Hubs: Pro - 3.30RTi hubs; Comp - 3.30R. I don't know the difference, but I assume that the 3.30RTi hubs replace some steel with titanium, allowing a reduction in weight for some additional cost.

Spokes: Pro - 18/24 DT Aerolite; Comp - 28/32 DT Aero Comp. The Aerolite spokes are thinner, lighter and more expensive than the Aero Comp spokes. This will make Pro flexier, but lighter and slightly more aerodynamic - and probably less durable (which is why the Pro has weight limit).

Skewers: Pro - Carbon lever skewers; Comp - standard road skewers. Again, the Pro skewers will be lighter and more expensive.

Wheel bags: Pro - included; Comp - not included.

Whether the differences between the Pro and Comp are worth the extra cost is for you to say. But given what I've heard about Stan's Alpha 340 rims (and their tire compatibility issues), I personally wouldn't get either one.

eippo1
07-01-2014, 12:44 PM
There's a few more difference between these two wheels than just the number of spokes. If nothing else, the number of spokes can't make a difference of 165 grams. From the specs., I can see at least these differences:

Hubs: Pro - 3.30RTi hubs; Comp - 3.30R. I don't know the difference, but I assume that the 3.30RTi hubs replace some steel with titanium, allowing a reduction in weight for some additional cost.

Spokes: Pro - 18/24 DT Aerolite; Comp - 28/32 DT Aero Comp. The Aerolite spokes are thinner, lighter and more expensive than the Aero Comp spokes. This will make Pro flexier, but lighter and slightly more aerodynamic - and probably less durable (which is why the Pro has weight limit).

Skewers: Pro - Carbon lever skewers; Comp - standard road skewers. Again, the Pro skewers will be lighter and more expensive.

Wheel bags: Pro - included; Comp - not included.

Whether the differences between the Pro and Comp are worth the extra cost is for you to say. But given what I've heard about Stan's Alpha 340 rims (and their tire compatibility issues), I personally wouldn't get either one.

Those are all specs from the Pro. I was comparing the Team and the Comp and their only differences are spokes and bearings. As for the tire compatibility, that would be more of a problem if I intended to run them with clinchers. I'd run them with either Schwalbe or Hutchinson, with are both fine with those rims.

Mark McM
07-01-2014, 01:20 PM
Those are all specs from the Pro. I was comparing the Team and the Comp and their only differences are spokes and bearings. As for the tire compatibility, that would be more of a problem if I intended to .

Oops, my bad. Maybe the price difference is the difference in cost for processing warranty claims for a less durable wheel with fewer spokes?

eippo1
07-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Oops, my bad. Maybe the price difference is the difference in cost for processing warranty claims for a less durable wheel with fewer spokes?

:hello: Perfect.

zachateseveryth
07-01-2014, 01:24 PM
I have a set of the comps. I think if you're looking to run road tubeless you'd be better off with one of the UST options. The Stan's road stuff is kind of marginal in terms of setup. It's given me fits.

FastforaSlowGuy
07-01-2014, 02:04 PM
I'm curious, at this price point, why not just get a set of handbuilts to run tubeless? You'd know exactly what you are getting, and get exactly what you want. Once you get into the $600-800 range, I'm sure there are a few wheelbuilders here that could make you something just as light, better constructed, with components you can trust.

eippo1
07-01-2014, 02:21 PM
I'm curious, at this price point, why not just get a set of handbuilts to run tubeless?

Mainly since I wouldn't be getting them at that price point. If I were to do custom, I'd be getting the parts and doing it myself. So basically it comes down to being lazy and cheap or taking the time and getting some nicer parts.

cmg
07-02-2014, 12:00 AM
if you have builder in your area you can buy some rims from Stans and have a handbuilt set. use the 28-32 spoked rims for the rear.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2014, 06:37 AM
if you have builder in your area you can buy some rims from Stans and have a handbuilt set. use the 28-32 spoked rims for the rear.

And watch the tension!! Spoke pull thru is common..