PDA

View Full Version : How often do you get "re-fit"?

FastforaSlowGuy
07-01-2014, 08:12 AM
I went through a very thorough fitting in late 2011 when I was transitioning from triathlon to road cycling. Since that time, I've tinkered with things here and there (mainly reach and bar drop), but I've not had a fitter take a fresh look. I'm not uncomfortable now, so there are no pressing issues I need to resolve. I've heard some folks say they like to get a fresh fitting every few years, if only to spot issues early. Thoughts?

sandyrs
07-01-2014, 08:15 AM
I went through a very thorough fitting in late 2011 when I was transitioning from triathlon to road cycling. Since that time, I've tinkered with things here and there (mainly reach and bar drop), but I've not had a fitter take a fresh look. I'm not uncomfortable now, so there are no pressing issues I need to resolve. I've heard some folks say they like to get a fresh fitting every few years, if only to spot issues early. Thoughts?

Unless you're uncomfortable or are data-inclined and notice a steep drop in power after a change, I wouldn't go looking for reasons to change a comfortable setup.

charliedid
07-01-2014, 08:20 AM
It's not like detailing your car. If you have not gone through some major change...like a broken bone or gained or lost a ton of weight, leave it be.

wallymann
07-01-2014, 09:02 AM
maybe with a big change of some sort, as others have suggested. a couple broad areas off the top of my head: weight, training-volume/intensity, flexibility, injury (or healing from same).

MattTuck
07-01-2014, 09:28 AM
What the others have said. If there has been a big change, then yes it makes sense. I can tell you from personal experience that the difference of 30 pounds is probably enough to affect your comfort and position (thus fit) on the bike.

Gsinill
07-01-2014, 09:30 AM
OK, I have to admit total ignorance on this but could you guys elaborate on why and how weight loss or gain would impact fitting?

I was under the assumption that unless it's to the point where one isn't able to take a certain position on a bike due to obesity, it shouldn't impact the fit.
Again, I probably completely oversimplify but I am really interested since I want to lose some weight (again) in the near future and I am also toying with getting my first fitting done.
My intent is not to prep for racing but simply to make sure that my current or future bikes will fit within a certain ball park and to address some pain points (i.e. lower back pain) on longer rides...

It's not like detailing your car. If you have not gone through some major change...like a broken bone or gained or lost a ton of weight, leave it be.

MattTuck
07-01-2014, 09:41 AM
For me, when I was lighter, I was able to spend a lot more time in an aggressive position (low, with my hands on the hoods) or in the drops. I can still achieve those same positions now, but it isn't comfortable and I couldn't hold them for long.

I'd say that my drop could be as much as 5 cm lower when I was lighter compared to where it is today. Also, the lighter upper body changes your balance on the bike and new positions become possible.

For me, the difference was low 180's compared to 215+. So we're talking significant weight difference.

charliedid
07-01-2014, 09:48 AM
OK, I have to admit total ignorance on this but could you guys elaborate on why and how weight loss or gain would impact fitting?

I was under the assumption that unless it's to the point where one isn't able to take a certain position on a bike due to obesity, it shouldn't impact the fit.
Again, I probably completely oversimplify but I am really interested since I want to lose some weight (again) in the near future and I am also toying with getting my first fitting done.
My intent is not to prep for racing but simply to make sure that my current or future bikes will fit within a certain ball park and to address some pain points (i.e. lower back pain) on longer rides...

As Matt said, its a matter of weight distribution, not "flexibility" that people wrongly associate with being heavy or thin. The broken bone/injury thing is a factor in position. I had a customer who broke both her left arm and leg. She needed to adjust her reach and cleat position respectively.

wallymann
07-01-2014, 09:59 AM

depends where/how you gain or lose your weight.

belly gets in/out of the way affecting how your knees flare at the top of your pedalstroke, possibly affecting saddle height and/or cleat positioning.
fatter legs (around your inner-thigh/hamstring) can affect how your legs interact with the saddle and thus the extension and maybe even cleat position.
more/less fat on/in/around your ass and "taint" can affect your saddle height and leg extension and maybe even cleat position.
more/less upper body mass can affect how well your back can deal with the rigors of riding in the drops.
that's just off the top of my head, i could go on...

most every racer i've ever known has had to reduce their saddle height in a meaningful way as they've gained weight and transitioned from skinny collegiate racer to working-class stiff to middle-aged suburban dad.

Pete Mckeon
07-01-2014, 10:07 AM
i only know road riding and not tri, so I am offering the two I know, unless you are buying a new bike that is quite different than what you were originally fitted on, (assuming you have ridden some)

So fitting is height and position of seat to bottom bracket
2nd reach to handle bar and drop to seat

As others whave mention if you changed physical or conditioning LOTS

SMILEY IS WHO I WOULD RECOMMEND ---- WHO IS IN DC/maryland area, :help:

commonguy001
07-01-2014, 10:16 AM
I've had about the same fit measurements for the last 15 years and this winter bought a new complete bike (first one in years) that came with a full fitting. I went through the whole thing and wouldn't you know the numbers ended up being virtually identical to my other bikes and how I set them up myself.
Side note - super comfortable on them so I didn't expect to get something totally different.

sitzmark
07-01-2014, 10:18 AM
Kinda detailed - OK a lot of detail, but a good look into cycle fit and fitness.

If you've got the interest and the time ....
http://youtu.be/oxNznrlRXGU

FlashUNC
07-01-2014, 10:39 AM
I went through a re-fit after I broke my elbow a couple years ago. Nothing changed.

As others mentioned, I think major tweaks only happen with large, outside external forces at play -- weight loss, injury, etc.

kgreene10
07-01-2014, 11:21 AM
I get checked once a year or so and my fitter nearly always raises my saddle. My back has become more flexible over time with some simple PT and apparently that's enough to increase my saddle height a couple of mms each time I go in. My saddle is now really high!

soulspinner
07-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Kinda detailed - OK a lot of detail, but a good look into cycle fit and fitness.

If you've got the interest and the time ....
http://youtu.be/oxNznrlRXGU

cool

jamesutiopia
07-01-2014, 04:48 PM
If it ain't broke...

hainy
07-01-2014, 10:34 PM

I am lucky to have the services of Steve Hogg to call on and I generally have my shoes and speedplay cleats checked for any changes about every 12 months. We are always changing.

Steve in SLO
07-01-2014, 10:48 PM
I'm sure I'm going to come across as a Luddite, but with 35 years and many, many miles and my saddle, I have to admit I have only recently received my first fitting. I began riding seriously in college and raced for a number of years after that. I rode a secondhand bike that I could afford and fit myself to it as best I could. At that time, in the late 70s, it was basically KOPS, and a slight bend of the knee when you put your heel on the pedal at the bottom of the down stroke. That was it.
I put tens of thousands of miles in that position, and naturally morphed my position when Ergolevers became available. Two years ago, I decided to see what a fitting was all about and headed down to a Serotta dealer to have a fitting done. After hearing how many miles I had under my butt, he set me up on the bike and only recommended that I changed to Speedplays if I wanted to decrease a slight wobble in my left knee. I stuck with my Keos, and have not looked back.
So in my case, I would say I get one fitting every 35 years and 150,000+ miles.

Ozrider
07-01-2014, 10:59 PM
About 3 years since my last fit and have booked another. My fitness and flexibility is better, so time to see if I can adjust into a more aero position

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ti Designs
07-01-2014, 11:34 PM
If it ain't broke...

Seems to be the common opinion, so I'll disagree with it...

I'll often ask one annoying question - how do you know you're riding well? There are three responses to that. The first and by far most common is to get angry and call me an a$$hole. The second is to tell me how long they have been riding. It's not really an answer unless doing something wrong for that long is inconceivable... The third response is to accept the possibility that there are gains to be made.

Almost 30 years ago I went on a ride with an old guy. There was this hill on the way called Mason Road. The old guy dropped me, and he made it look so easy! I was a cat 2 at the time, had won Mt Washington as a junior (didn't know at the time the old guy held the record) and I thought I knew everything about how to ride. I put my ego aside and learned everything I could after that. Just last winter I set up a test rig to see how effectively I was getting the pedal over the top of the pedal stroke. I learned that what I thought I was doing wasn't what I was actually doing. I spent the better part of the winter correcting that little problem. All of these corrections over time make me a better rider at 50 than I was in my 20's and 30's.

Alan
07-02-2014, 10:33 AM
I visit my local fitter once a year in the winter to review my position etc. I find that something has changed such as shoes, bike, saddle, etc so it is my practice to do an annual update and to get rechecked on all fit issues.

I can't imagine not updating my fit for several years as I really value the time that I spend with Kathy Krumme and I feel like it has helped me significantly. Even a confirmation that nothing needs to be changed is a good outcome. In the last several years I have been injury free after riding a lot and this is one of the reasons for my success.

Alan

oldpotatoe
07-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Seems to be the common opinion, so I'll disagree with it...

I'll often ask one annoying question - how do you know you're riding well? There are three responses to that. The first and by far most common is to get angry and call me an a$$hole. The second is to tell me how long they have been riding. It's not really an answer unless doing something wrong for that long is inconceivable... The third response is to accept the possibility that there are gains to be made.

Almost 30 years ago I went on a ride with an old guy. There was this hill on the way called Mason Road. The old guy dropped me, and he made it look so easy! I was a cat 2 at the time, had won Mt Washington as a junior (didn't know at the time the old guy held the record) and I thought I knew everything about how to ride. I put my ego aside and learned everything I could after that. Just last winter I set up a test rig to see how effectively I was getting the pedal over the top of the pedal stroke. I learned that what I thought I was doing wasn't what I was actually doing. I spent the better part of the winter correcting that little problem. All of these corrections over time make me a better rider at 50 than I was in my 20's and 30's.

Not looking to argue, honest but what do you mean, 'better'? Faster, less pain, more enjoyment, ? Gains sought are what? Speed, endurance, fun?

You would probably think I'm a crappy cyclist but gee, I still have a lot of fun doing it. Very satisfying, very meditative.

Ti Designs
07-03-2014, 04:05 AM
Not looking to argue, honest but what do you mean, 'better'? Faster, less pain, more enjoyment, ? Gains sought are what? Speed, endurance, fun?

Pretty much all of the above. Over the winter I found a bit of a hitch in my pedal stroke that I never knew about. I tested a number of other riders and found the same thing. Turns out humans don't really turn circles very well, and there's a case going over the top of the pedal stroke where one of the hip flexors shuts down the quad. I then spent some time learning how to get the pedal over the top without using that muscle and the oddest thing happened - my back problems went away and I got faster on the flats. Now once in a while I'll just kick the flat speed up to 26 or 27 just as my normal cruising speed - I'm not pushing it into the red, that's just where it feels right. I'm more comfortable on the bike now than I ever have been.

It's not so much fit as training, but I find it impossible to tell between them as training drives fit and fit drives training. How people do fits by just adjusting the bike is beyond me - most of the vehicle is the rider...