PDA

View Full Version : Hey South Bay people?

learningtoride
06-30-2014, 12:32 PM

enr1co
06-30-2014, 01:21 PM
I love riding throughout the Santa Teresa Hills in San Jose, enjoyed a nice LONG ride yesterday but was wondering, where in the Campbell area do any of you ride? If you have any suggestions of nice places for low impact rides please do share! I thought I'd go around the lake at Hellyer Park,although that is East of me so I am looking for other ideas... THANKS!

Head west on Homestead Ave to Foothill Expressway to Cupertino, Los Altos area. Head north on Foothill towards Palo Alto until a left Arastradeo, Page Mill going west to the Portola Valley loop. From portol valley you can ride up and down Page Mill or Kings Mountain or out to the coast if you have time.
Typically a bunch of riders on this loop to ask directions if lost.

Hindmost
06-30-2014, 02:17 PM
enr1co's suggestion is a good suggestion.

Many local riders learn routes through Los Gatos to Saratoga and on to Cupertino along the foothills. One can go vertical on Hicks, Kennedy, Old Santa Cruz Highway, Highway 9, Summit/Skyline, Pierce/Mt Eden.

One could stop at the new location for the Cupertino Bike Shop where they can help with orienteering.

Hindmost
06-30-2014, 02:58 PM
You have me thinking. Not sure where in Campbell you are...

Look at West Rincon, Bucknall, Cox as a cyclist's route west. Gets you out of the suburban center to the more open areas in Saratoga/Cupertino.

enr1co
06-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Equally nice routes as described by Hindmost- basically go south ( or left) when you follow Homestead Road and then it tees into Foothill expressway.
The Pierce Rd/Mt Eden loop into Saratoga was one one of my favorite quick after ride works when working in the So Bay.

If you do go north, I intended to suggest going up the Old La Honda climb to Skyline from the Portola Valley Loop. You can go up Page Mill road to Skyline but its not as pleasant a climb.

Do a search on ride routes with any of the road names mentioned and it should
deliver a number of hits with detailed route maps you can upload or print.

enr1co's suggestion is a good suggestion.

Many local riders learn routes through Los Gatos to Saratoga and on to Cupertino along the foothills. One can go vertical on Hicks, Kennedy, Old Santa Cruz Highway, Highway 9, Summit/Skyline, Pierce/Mt Eden.

One could stop at the new location for the Cupertino Bike Shop where they can help with orienteering.

enr1co
06-30-2014, 03:06 PM
You have me thinking. Not sure where in Campbell you are...

Look at West Rincon, Bucknall, Cox as a cyclist's route west. Gets you out of the suburban center to the more open areas in Saratoga/Cupertino.

Yeah, some odd city borders in the So Bay cities and Homestead road can be nasty with plenty traffic as it cuts through San Jose, Sunnyvale and finally to Cupertino. If you have rental car and can drive to the west to Foothill, this may be your best use of time.

Dude
06-30-2014, 03:16 PM
My favorite ride was take the path west through los gatos around the lexington reservoir on alma bridge road to old santa cruz highway. Head north on summit (route 35) all the way to route 9. Bomb down route 9 (big basin) into Saratoga and then head back south to Los Gatos on 9 back to los gatos.

Also head south to morgan hill, some great rides around there. Almaden expressway to Bailey, cut across the valley, go up Metcalf, north on San Felipe road back to East san jose.

I spent an incredible 3 unemployed months. My shortest ride was about 50 miles. I had to shorten the rides because I couldn't afford to feed myself on the rides.

Bostic
06-30-2014, 03:54 PM
Bomb down route 9 (big basin) into Saratoga and then head back south to Los Gatos on 9 back to los gatos.

HW 9 is under construction right now just past Redwood Gulch heading up it so there is one lane traffic and loooong red stop lights on either side.

cycling.standford.edu is a great resource for most of the climbs in the area.

cnighbor1
06-30-2014, 04:28 PM
http://www.grizzlypeakcyclists.org/cue_sheets/
also if you back up to 1st page
http://www.grizzlypeakcyclists.org/
there is listed other club web sites and their rides

cnighbor1
06-30-2014, 04:31 PM
Grant Petersen wrote two or three book giving roads in all the Bay Area and their profile. No rides just roads data length, were located and profile
A wonderful source for the many nice roads in the CA BAY AREA

roguedog
06-30-2014, 10:50 PM
Actually, if you're down there one of my fave rides it out and around Uvas and Chesbro reservoirs.

You were already at Santa Teresa so you were pretty close. Google it. You can get to Alamaden expwy and hit up McKean. It's lovely back there. Standard route for the Tierra Bella ride.

You can go to the actc site for group rides and routes. Great group of folk.

pinoymamba
06-30-2014, 11:41 PM
how long of a ride are you looking for?

learningtoride
07-01-2014, 01:00 PM

learningtoride
07-01-2014, 01:04 PM