PDA

View Full Version : Campy left lever "popping" out of gear?

DerekB
06-30-2014, 08:59 AM
My left lever has not been holding while in the big chainring. If I hit a bump or bump the paddle even lightly the lever pops one click looser leading to front derailleur rub. I can "shift" back to trim but obviously this is not ideal.
Super Record lever, less than a year old. I slid out on some black ice in February and both levers hit he ground but it was a pretty light impact as I had slowed for the corner. Levers have worked fine from Feb until now.
Could this be a cable tension issue? I loosened the cable just a little but this did not solve it. Still shifts fine.
Also I seem to remember only 4 clicks in this lever and there now seem to be 5 clicks between large and small chainring.

oldpotatoe
06-30-2014, 09:28 AM
My left lever has not been holding while in the big chainring. If I hit a bump or bump the paddle even lightly the lever pops one click looser leading to front derailleur rub. I can "shift" back to trim but obviously this is not ideal.
Super Record lever, less than a year old. I slid out on some black ice in February and both levers hit he ground but it was a pretty light impact as I had slowed for the corner. Levers have worked fine from Feb until now.
Could this be a cable tension issue? I loosened the cable just a little but this did not solve it. Still shifts fine.
Also I seem to remember only 4 clicks in this lever and there now seem to be 5 clicks between large and small chainring.

Ideally adjusted so 3 clicks put it to big ring. Proper height, alignment and start position. Once adjusted so 3 clicks put the chain on big ring, outer limit screw in just so it touches. If more than 3 clicks, not adjusted properly. Start with cable very tight, no slack.

Plus can take lever off and ensure front and back 3mm Allen bolts that hold all the guts tight, are tight. Gotta remove brake lever to easily get at one in front.

But I suspect fder adjust issue...4 clicks, pushing against limit screw, bump, falls down one.

Lewis Moon
06-30-2014, 09:45 AM
When you click the final click you're tightening the cable against the limit screw. The tension wants to pull it back down. BTDT. As OP sez: proper adjustment should fix this.

PS: if the reason that you're bumping against the limit is that you're really close to clipping the cage with the crank arm, you will need to align the der better. BTDT too.

DerekB
06-30-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks Peter and Lewis. Will give it a try.

Jaq
06-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Probably time for a new bike. Only way to be safe.

DerekB
06-30-2014, 12:42 PM
I tightened the cable and all seems good now at least in the stand. I will go for a short ride in a bit.
I guess I don't need a new bike...

dave thompson
06-30-2014, 01:20 PM
I tightened the cable and all seems good now at least in the stand. I will go for a short ride in a bit.
I guess I don't need a new bike...

Yeah, you do. One always needs a new bike.

DerekB
06-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Ahhhh front shifting bliss. Just got back from a short 16 mile ride. All is well with my front derailleur.
Thanks all.
Dave of course you are right but I am about near N+3 currently!!!

rain dogs
06-30-2014, 10:18 PM
Ideally adjusted so 3 clicks put it to big ring. Proper height, alignment and start position. Once adjusted so 3 clicks put the chain on big ring, outer limit screw in just so it touches. If more than 3 clicks, not adjusted properly. Start with cable very tight, no slack.

Plus can take lever off and ensure front and back 3mm Allen bolts that hold all the guts tight, are tight. Gotta remove brake lever to easily get at one in front.

But I suspect fder adjust issue...4 clicks, pushing against limit screw, bump, falls down one.

Peter, thanks bud! I was having this same problem. Third hand tool is the only way to get the cable tight enough to start, right? Anyway, I bought one cause that was the only way I could do it.

I was stuck on 4 clicks (and it was popping out too)....but, now it's three! Thank you again!

DerekB
07-01-2014, 12:10 AM
I did not use a third hand tool. I shifted into the big ring while pedaling then simply shifted back into the small ring without pedaling. The cable becomes loose and it is easy to adjust the cable tension. It works on the rear also; shift to the smallest sprocket, then while pedaling push the derailleur up a couple of sprockets. Again the cable becomes loose and it is easy to adjust tension.

oldpotatoe
07-01-2014, 06:39 AM
Peter, thanks bud! I was having this same problem. Third hand tool is the only way to get the cable tight enough to start, right? Anyway, I bought one cause that was the only way I could do it.

I was stuck on 4 clicks (and it was popping out too)....but, now it's three! Thank you again!

Glad to help but kudos to Dan Large, the Campagnolo head tech at Campagnolo NA. I had a Moots that was doing the same thing and some 'groups' on how to adjust fder from Dan...A big thing was making sure the Fder was high enough, rather than the previous 'as close as possible to chain when on big ring', height..